• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installing new battery, and need some suggestions

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently killed my Moto Classic YTZ14-12S battery, accidentally drained it beyond recovery by leaving the key in, and on, for days.
I was thinking to order this the same one because never had any issues. But would like to hear some ideas and suggestions, maybe something changed in the last 2-3 years.

And, while on the topic, I'm connecting 3 my USB and 1 SAE adn 1 SAE to USB connectors straight to the battery. I know, I know... Totally wrong. That's why am I here... Since not familiar with the "nests", "hubs", and other option/mods, please educate me. Or direct me to the right directions.
Thanks for any help.

I just replaced my battery this weekend and I bought a Fire Power Factory Activated Battery CTZ12S fingers crossed. I was just not convinced to get a 200 lithium ion battery. Even though there is one at revzilla that says it will cut itself off when there is only enough juice to start the bike up again.

I'm curious what other folks have to say.

I would stick with the OEM battery. Keep it on a Tender when the bike is parked. Lead acid batteries have two states of being: charging and discharging. Starting the engine is the biggest drain and if you don't take a long enough ride after starting, the bike may not return to full charge. Not a problem if you plug it in when you get home. Do that and it should last at least four years.

Being a bit frugal, I have tried lots of batteries over the years, and have found that the Chinese AGM batteries seem to offer the best bang for the buck. I WILL qualify that, by saying that I do take really good care of my batteries. I use a BatteryMinder, which desulphates the battery after charging it, and I keep it on the bikes, alternating between them. I keep the BatteryMinder on a timer, so it charges the battery twice a day, for an hour or so each time.
Last time I bought a battery was for the ST1300 ( same battery as an NC700X), and I got it at ChromeBattery.com. It was 39.90, including shipping. I can happily report that it is now about 3 years old, and works like a charm.

Afan, I added a Blue Sea 6 fuse block in the frunk, under the bottom cover ( document storage area?) . It is powered by a relay, which is switched on when the key is switched on. It powers up all the farkles I've added- new horns, USB outlet, Cigarette lighter type 12V outlet, etc. I ran the wires through the sides of that small area, to keep it sanitary. I drilled, and used grommets, to seal the openings. I ran #10 wiring to power it up, ( definite overkill) #12 would be more than sufficient.
Can share pics if helpful.

Being a bit frugal, I have tried lots of batteries over the years, and have found that the Chinese AGM batteries seem to offer the best bang for the buck. I WILL qualify that, by saying that I do take really good care of my batteries. I use a BatteryMinder, which desulphates the battery after charging it, and I keep it on the bikes, alternating between them. I keep the BatteryMinder on a timer, so it charges the battery twice a day, for an hour or so each time.
Last time I bought a battery was for the ST1300 ( same battery as an NC700X), and I got it at ChromeBattery.com. It was 39.90, including shipping. I can happily report that it is now about 3 years old, and works like a charm.

Afan, I added a Blue Sea 6 fuse block in the frunk, under the bottom cover ( document storage area?) . It is powered by a relay, which is switched on when the key is switched on. It powers up all the farkles I've added- new horns, USB outlet, Cigarette lighter type 12V outlet, etc. I ran the wires through the sides of that small area, to keep it sanitary. I drilled, and used grommets, to seal the openings. I ran #10 wiring to power it up, ( definite overkill) #12 would be more than sufficient.
Can share pics if helpful.

I will admit to being a bit of a dunce when it comes to most things involving WIRES. Any pics you can share as well as where to connect would be appreciated here at least! Thanks in advance! :)

I will admit to being a bit of a dunce when it comes to most things involving WIRES. Any pics you can share as well as where to connect would be appreciated here at least! Thanks in advance! :)
Here is a picture of the area ( kind of like a basement) under the frunk. I think it might have been intended for document storage, but it serves well to hide my fuse block and associated wiring. At the top of the picture is a Blue Sea 4 fuse block, in the center is my negative bus bar ( made from a scrap of 3/8" aluminum, and at the bottom is a 40Amp relay to power the block. The large wire on the relay is the positive lead, coming from the battery. Anotjher large wire ( tough to see in the picture) goes to power up the fuse block. The relay takes the trigger signal from a wire which is switched on by the ignition. I actually got the trigger signal from the accessory harness the PO had installed to power up the grip heaters.

Attachments

• IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 26
Any battery made for this bike will work.
Getting 3 to 4 years out of a battery is perfectly fine.
Some say they can get more than 5 years. Me I'd be worried that at some stop out by nothing it wouldnt start.
Yep it can and has happened to me - called sudden battery death I believe.
So over 3 year old battery and causing trouble - replace it with a new one made by whoever.

Back