• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

International Selkirk Loop...

Rapturee

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm taking off this thursday afternoon after my treatment and heading up to Oldtown Idaho. I will start my ride from there and head east on Hwy2 over to US95 and up to Sandpoint Idaho. From there I will continue north on US95 and cross the border at Port Hill, then up British Columbia Hwy3a to Creston and further up to Kootenay Bay. I'll take the ferry from there s/w to Balfour and further down to Nelson BC. Then i'll take BC Hwy6 south to Belway and cross the border there back into the states and pick up Hwy31 and heading south down to Metaline Falls (where the movie "the postman" was filmed with Kevin Costner). Then further south to Ione and the historic Tiger Junction. From there i'll continue Hwy31 south Newport Washington and over to Oldtown Idaho completing the Selkirk Loop. I have already riden every portion and super portion of the Loop on the state side. Now to go ride the Canadian side! :{)

Any and all are welcome to come along for the ride or a portion of it!! :{)

The International Selkirk Loop :: Rocky Mountains Scenic Drive - International Selkirk Loop

Selkirk Loop Map.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy your trip. I'm heading to do the loop for the first time over 4th of July weekend. Reports are that the Canadian side has some spectacular riding.

Hey Cog, welcome to the ride and a hearty welcome from Northern IDAHO!! :{)

That'd be a great ride from Helena. I've been over to Helena many times(MLEA Academy) years ago, It's right at 5 hours from my place. I like that whole area. In a few weeks I'll be headed over to the Red Lodge area and then ride the Bear Tooth Hwy/Chief Joseph Hwy. If you care to, let me know about when you'll be coming through the Sandpoint section of the loop and i'll ride up and meet you at the "Panhandler Pies" for some fresh home made PIE....my treat!! Shoot me a PM if you're interested/remember, otherwise have a safe and enjoyable ride. :{)

Confirmed... it IS a beautiful ride! :{)

I ended up taking a couple of side trips while up there and rode 4 days, 1200 miles, 1 state and 2 Providences. BC and Alberta both are beautiful areas to ride, WOW. I encountered some of the most kind and thoughtful people in Canada, makes me want to return soon!

Had a guy pass me and then met up with him at the Ferry crossing at Kootenay Bay. Fred V, Canadian, was waiting to ride the ferry as well. I struck up a conversation with him and we instantly became friends. He was on a brand new 2018 Fj1300 with only 1100Km's! We rode most of the day together scraping pegs in the corners on our way up to Nelson BC where we split. I went up to Nakusp to ride the super loop and Fred headed back. I took over 250 pictures so i am still weeding through all of them.
Selkirk Loop Balfour bay ferry landing3 BC.jpg

On my way up the loop i stopped in New Denver and visited the Japanese Gardens and the WWII Nikkei Internment Camp.
Selkirk Loop Japanese WWII Internment camp new denver BC.jpg

Notice the fellows last name...
Selkirk Loop Japanese WWII Internment camp20 new denver BC.jpg

Selkirk Loop Japanese WWII Internment camp33 new denver BC.jpg

Confirmed... it IS a beautiful ride! :{)

I ended up taking a couple of side trips while up there and rode 4 days, 1200 miles, 1 state and 2 Providences. BC and Alberta both are beautiful areas to ride, WOW. I encountered some of the most kind and thoughtful people in Canada, makes me want to return soon!

Had a guy pass me and then met up with him at the Ferry crossing at Kootenay Bay. Fred V, Canadian, was waiting to ride the ferry as well. I struck up a conversation with him and we instantly became friends. He was on a brand new 2018 Fj1300 with only 1100Km's! We rode most of the day together scraping pegs in the corners on our way up to Nelson BC where we split. I went up to Nakusp to ride the super loop and Fred headed back. I took over 250 pictures so i am still weeding through all of them.
View attachment 38465

On my way up the loop i stopped in New Denver and visited the Japanese Gardens and the WWII Nikkei Internment Camp.
View attachment 38466

Notice the fellows last name...
View attachment 38467

View attachment 38468

The internment camps is one of the sad marks in Canadian history. Right up there with the residential school system. So sad...

Back to happier thoughts...glad you had a good time :)

Roger that. Both of our countries, every country i believe, has a past they/we are not necessarily proud of. My grandfather was in Pearl on the day the Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. My grandfather was stationed on the USS Arizona and had been off the ship and on shore leave with my "soon to be grandmother" who was a Nurse stationed there at Pearl. He had many stories about how our citizens and soldiers were treated back then abroad.

As you stated, back to our regularly scheduled program haha! :{P

It has been a long time since i had been up there to BC, so glad i went. Always a good time and i am already looking forward to making the Canadian Hwy 1 trip from Vancouver to Nova Scotia in a couple of years. I'm looking at D2D-Alaska next year and possibly C2C Canada the following year. We'll see how it all plays out. :{P

Back