• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Iron butt questions

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am doing an iron butt 1000 next month and have some questions for the experienced riders that have done one before (no matter what bike not NC questions). First thing we have what could be 5-10 riders going, we will see how many walk the walk when the time comes but is that too many? I know the more people you have sometimes the more complicated things get. The whole get as many receipts as you can with times and date seems pretty easy. Can you use the same person for the start and end witness? What we are planning is deals gap and back which according to google is 525 miles each way. Also last question, should we just have everyone start there time at their closest gas station, use their wife/girlfriend as their witness and just meet at a good spot along the way or should everyone start in one spot and use the same start end witness. Thanks is advance for the knowledge!
Matt

So I am doing an iron butt 1000 next month and have some questions for the experienced riders that have done one before (no matter what bike not NC questions). First thing we have what could be 5-10 riders going, we will see how many walk the walk when the time comes but is that too many? I know the more people you have sometimes the more complicated things get. The whole get as many receipts as you can with times and date seems pretty easy. Can you use the same person for the start and end witness? What we are planning is deals gap and back which according to google is 525 miles each way. Also last question, should we just have everyone start there time at their closest gas station, use their wife/girlfriend as their witness and just meet at a good spot along the way or should everyone start in one spot and use the same start end witness. Thanks is advance for the knowledge!
Matt

9.jpg

The ride is easier on the mind if the parties riding have a way of communication with each other. CB, Communication System, or anything that lets you talk. I find it also easier if you have music to listen too that you like. Anything you can do to keep your mind off the pain in your rear end does help.

smileymelting.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Too many people, probably take you 5 hours more than if you just go it alone. Someone will always be waiting for someone else. Best of luck.

Way to many!!!!!! Someone will need to poop, pee, gas, or eat and what will the rest of you do, sit and wait? Never all at the same time. Pulling out at intersections, traffic lights etc. will all take more time. There will always be at least one that won't do the pace and you'll get mad at him and he'll feel bad to be the drag. Do it yourself! IBA#8

Too many people, probably take you 5 hours more than if you just go it alone. Someone will always be waiting for someone else. Best of luck.

I would agree. It's easiest when you do it alone. (3 riders MAX if you don't want to go it alone).
The "someone will always be waiting for someone else" quote is sooo accurate, and the problem just gets worse the more riders you add.

I have the SS1K badge and did not use a start/stop witness. As I read the instructions, the time stamped receipts are enough. Keep the log correct and document the route with Google Maps.

I used itinerary planning with my GPS and just set up each gas station (180 miles apart) as the waypoints.
Here is a really wordy account of the FIRST ATTEMPT followed by the more precise SECOND ATTEMPT.

Good luck!

-StratTuner, Iron Butt Member # 57121
SS-PATCH.jpg

Last edited:
One more vote for "too many people". This is a safety issue. If you are pushing your limits, you need to stop and take breaks when *you* need to stop and take breaks. It's important to take those breaks and to take them at the right time for you. Trouble is, this is true for every rider in the group; if you push each any one rider out of his personal limits, and he or she gets hurt, how will you feel? But you don't have time to take all the breaks that all the different riders need, if you are going to finish in 24 hours.

Go alone. If you want to go with someone else, pick ONE person that you already know you can ride comfortably with.

Well, we all agree you are taking too many people to make this an efficient ride. As far as a witness, I would play it safe and ask anyone other than a relative to sign before leaving, and then just find someone else at the end. Most people are happy to help out when you explain what your doing and need a signature to validate the ride.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

When I did mine, I printed all the paperwork off the IBA site and followed the instructions. We planned our route to hit towns of any size at a non rush hour time. I rode with only one other person. A close friend that had the same riding style as myself, and we had many miles together prior to the ride. We avoided 2 land roads, they can ruin the outcome. Our bikes got similar fuel mileage. It was a fun easy ride. We rode 1097 miles in 19 hours with 2 long sit down eat breaks. I think you have too many people involved, for same reasons already mentioned.

Ya it does scare me how many people there could be. Like I said I learned long ago when I first started doing track days that many people talk, only some people do. Even if so, I think a strict be there or be left behind rule should be in place to follow a time schedule. May make someone mad but I only do 75-80 mph so they could catch up if they want more time to hang around.

70MPH is tops in California. 75 in other states. Never 80. I'm not disagreeing with Hmcp88, just pointing out that you'd better know those you ride with really well before you start.

A 1k sounds like a Lone Wolf run to me for sure, but I could see a two man team that were long time riders together pulling it off and not hating each other afterwards. But five? nah... bad jujus all round in my opinion.

The major drawback to going together in a convoy will be the same as the major drawback faced by the maritime convoys of the two world wars: the group is restricted to the maximum speed of the SLOWEST member.

Riding with a group is splendid when you have "nowhere to go and no particular time to be there".

70MPH is tops in California. 75 in other states. Never 80. I'm not disagreeing with Hmcp88, just pointing out that you'd better know those you ride with really well before you start.

Portions of Utah have 80mph limits, think I saw some coming across CO as well. I know there are more out in the "big flat" somewhere. (Speed limits...more like guidelines anyway...flame away...)

I did my first Ironbutt with 2 other riders. We had 1000s of miles logged together before this ride. We have very similar riding skills,same fuel range and personel habits, (eating, relieving and endurance levels). Like the others have said, the more the merrier does not apply to long distance motorcycle riding. Good luck. It seems easy until you hit the 800 mile mark,(my opinion). Don't push yourself past the point of being safe.

Back