• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is Aerostitch worth it?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m looking at riding gear again and have heard folks wax poetic over Aerostitch. I like the made in USA factor but it is eye wateringly expensive. There is no CE certification listed on these bad boys. My question, are their jackets and pants protective enough to justify the price? I’m not worried about reusability after a crash, but I want to walk away from one if I do go down. Thanks.

Yes, people have been walking away from a crash in a Stich for many years and for as long as they last they are not that expensive over the life of the garment.

I’m looking at riding gear again and have heard folks wax poetic over Aerostitch. I like the made in USA factor but it is eye wateringly expensive. There is no CE certification listed on these bad boys. My question, are their jackets and pants protective enough to justify the price? I’m not worried about reusability after a crash, but I want to walk away from one if I do go down. Thanks.
Products for the American consumer market don't need/require any certification to be called protective motorcycle garments. That is a European standard and since much of the top moto-gear comes from Euro based companies, and/or is sold into those markets that require it, we are used to seeing CE "something" on our equipment.

And I put "something" in quotation marks because in the EU the whole garment is rated/certified but in the US many brands use "CE" rated components and put them in garments that would likely never pass the CE certification testing.

Aerostitch is pretty much sold here in the US market. It is a top brand, I've looked at it very closely, inspected some pieces of it and I'd certainly trust it. But I've never purchased it.

BUT, some of their fibers degrade in sunlight and I would question the wisdom of buying and reusing older Aerostitch garments that may have had long term exposure to sunlight. Specifically the Kevlar when there is long term exposure to UV radiation from the sun.

Products for the American consumer market don't need/require any certification to be called protective motorcycle garments. That is a European standard and since much of the top moto-gear comes from Euro based companies, and/or is sold into those markets that require it, we are used to seeing CE "something" on our equipment.

And I put "something" in quotation marks because in the EU the whole garment is rated/certified but in the US many brands use "CE" rated components and put them in garments that would likely never pass the CE certification testing.

Aerostitch is pretty much sold here in the US market. It is a top brand, I've looked at it very closely, inspected some pieces of it and I'd certainly trust it. But I've never purchased it.

BUT, some of their fibers degrade in sunlight and I would question the wisdom of buying and reusing older Aerostitch garments that may have had long term exposure to sunlight. Specifically the Kevlar when there is long term exposure to UV radiation from the sun.
I think you have confused Aerostich with another brand regarding the use of Kevlar. Aerostich doesn’t use it.

I think you have confused Aerostich with another brand regarding the use of Kevlar. Aerostich doesn’t use it.
That is possible. I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Motosport uses Kevlar, not Aerostitch

Last edited:
Aerostitch claims on many of its products 500d Cordura. That seems kind of light for the price.

Some Aerostich products use a thinner material such as normal Darian pants vs Darian Lite. I opted for the normal Darian.

Last edited:
There are no guarantees that you won't get hurt or killed wearing a stitch. They ARE well made garments, and I would hope they would protect you in a minor lowside, but they aren't going to help you with a center lane crosser, a left turner, or a rear ender. The fabric is pretty strong and they have armor in the traditional places, to disperse concussion, shoulders, elbows, knees, hips and back but so do a lot of other garments.

You can read endorsements on many products from people that went down and walked away relatively unhurt including Bohn Armor and Draggin' Jeans and countless others

Asking if a stitch is better, is like asking if a BMW is better, or if Starbucks makes better coffee. It's all a matter of opinion and guys who have shelled out the bucks for those products, are first in line to sing their praises.

There are only 2 pieces of motorcycle gear DESIGNED to save your life in a motorcycle accident... a helmet and an air bag vest. All the rest are DESIGNED to prevent road rash and broken bones.

You can wear all the protective gear in the world and if the stars align you will walk away. If they don't..... like I said, no guarantees

Last edited:
Some Aerostich products use a thinner material such as normal Darian pants vs Darian Lite. I opted for the normal Darian.
Do you like the darian? This is what I was looking at. The lite seems too thin for me.

. All the rest are DESIGNED to prevent road rash and broken bones.

You can wear all the protective gear in the world and if the starts align you will walk away. If they don't..... like I said, no guarantees
All I am asking for from a piece of gear such as this is to prevent road rash and broken bones. I accepted no guarantees a long time ago, but I prefer to stack the deck in my favor.
The question I am really looking at is an Aerostitch pair of pants really that much more protective for 420$ than a 180$ pair of tour master overpants? Will the material hold up at much higher speeds and last longer day to day?

I have the R3 suit and it is great. I wear it year round. It's cheaper than comparable goretex jackets + pants from other brands. AS claims their pads exceed CE level two, but due to size regulations of the pads theirs don't qualify. They're too large for CE certs iirc.

Whether or not it's 'worth' it is up to you and your outlook. I've only worn my suit for about 8k miles, so it has perhaps cost 22¢ per mile. The more I ride, the cheaper it gets.

I have the R3 suit and it is great. I wear it year round. It's cheaper than comparable goretex jackets + pants from other brands. AS claims their pads exceed CE level two, but due to size regulations of the pads theirs don't qualify. They're too large for CE certs iirc.

Whether or not it's 'worth' it is up to you and your outlook. I've only worn my suit for about 8k miles, so it has perhaps cost 22¢ per mile. The more I ride, the cheaper it gets.
Even expensive gear is still cheaper than a hospital trip. I’m looking mostly at the Darian pants

All I am asking for from a piece of gear such as this is to prevent road rash and broken bones. I accepted no guarantees a long time ago, but I prefer to stack the deck in my favor.
The question I am really looking at is an Aerostitch pair of pants really that much more protective for 420$ than a 180$ pair of tour master overpants? Will the material hold up at much higher speeds and last longer day to day?
As I said, they ARE well made garments, and should do well for the requirements you describe, and yes they would be cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

Not sure that armored gear will prevent many broken bones but it might prevent some minor breaks. My take on armored gear is that it MIGHT help mitigate some knee, elbow or shoulder injuries. It will likely keep your skin where it belongs and prevent the need for some nasty skin grafts.

Seriously real protection probably comes from airbag vests added to quality protective gear.

Nothing will really help us if we get slammed into by a car. But if we skid down the roadway a good set of armored gear will likely offer a good deal of protection.

I’ve had the regular Darian now for several years. Yes, it’s pricy, but it does last, a Long time. Also you get it custom sized to fit YOU, rather than S, M,L, and XL. The fit and finshe of Aerostich products is top of the line.. I’ve got a good friend who’s pushing hard on a million miles on two wheels. He just last year replaced a Darian he’d had forever. The old one (at least 20 yrs old) started out red and has faded now to a pale pink, BUT everything on the old jacket still works. It looks ratty, but given the miles and years of use it’s in amazingly good shape. I highly recommend the Darien, and regret not getting mine years earlier. I’ve worn out enough other stuff to have long since paid for one in the past.

A stich is worth every penny you pay for it….
That’s good to know. I think I’m leaning towards Motoport at this point. I’m impressed with the fabric technology they use, and the armor looks slimmer.

Kevlar degrades in UV. Curious why safety gear uses a material that manufacturer DuPont plainly warns against exposing to sunlight.

Back