• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is Aerostitch worth it?

Woven and knit textile materials have interstices, however small, that allow light to pass through. The manufacturer's technical guide warns against storing it indoors within 4 feet of a window. Think about that.

Solid points on the Kevlar-never actually thought about it . I looked at Motoport stuff a few years ago. Product looked interesting but the customer ratings were just so-so. At that time lots of posts about long lead times for delivery and some quality issues. Again, that was several years ago. I’ve not seen (or looked) for several years so no knowledge of current situation, Price at that time was comparable to Aerostich,

Extremely few Motoport owners are unhappy with the product, even after YEARS of use. Complaints are generally about the company owner, or sometimes a bad experience with measuring or sizing or something.

I believe that’s kinda the same with Aerostich, although sometimes people decide that waterproof outer material is not for them.

Woven and knit textile materials have interstices, however small, that allow light to pass through. The manufacturer's technical guide warns against storing it indoors within 4 feet of a window. Think about that.
From what I was able to glean while researching last night, Kevlar is made up of layers. The the outer layer may degrade some, but the inner layers not so much. The test I saw had the Kevlar laid directly in sunlight for 450 hours and 900 hours and still preformed well when tested.

Between the denim and the outer layer protecting the inner layers, I doubt if degradation of the Kevlar is anything to worry about, especially if stored in a closet and not stored in direct sunlight..at least for a number of years.

From what I was able to glean while researching last night, Kevlar is made up of layers. The the outer layer may degrade some, but the inner layers not so much. The test I saw had the Kevlar laid directly in sunlight for 450 hours and 900 hours and still preformed well when tested.

Between the denim and the outer layer protecting the inner layers, I doubt if degradation of the Kevlar is anything to worry about, especially if stored in a closet and not stored in direct sunlight..at least for a number of years.
Yes, that would work. Maybe the manufacturer used enough yarns to make a thick enough layer. Just don't wear it outside for extended periods of time or maybe just buy a $400 jacket every year to make sure. Or buy gear that doesn't degrade from sunlight and don't worry about it at all.

Last edited:
the Kevlar isn't exposed to uv rays is it? Isn't in sewn on the inside of the denim?
Correct. I asked this very question and their response indicated that the Kevlar is woven on the inside and isn’t exposed to UV rays.

I've asked the same question of one manufacturer couched in "how is this accomplished so that UV is blocked from the Kevlar fabric or yarns sewn or woven in the under layer(s)?" My experience was veiled threats of legal action or no further reply.

One reason I believe the latter are because there are recent citations on visible UV light transmission through various fabrics. 9/11 accelerated research into how to design and build infared equipment that can look through clothing for weapons or containers of liquids or substances that could be used as explosives. As a result one doesn't have to look far to find comparisons of types of fabrics and how much UV passes through them. Denim is one of the fabrics that passes less UV and 3 layers of a tight weave that remains dry and free of moisture blocks almost all visible light. Unfortunately denim is made of cotton. Cotton holds moisture, loses insulating properties when wet, and water held in wet denim increases the number of layers required to block UV from 2 or 3 to 10 or 12. Sitting on a motorcycle it holds moisture against the skin and creates monkey butt in a day or less. In the past some manufacturers featured Kevlar much more prominently in product descriptions but now it's reduced a few vague references.

The way I see it, regular jeans are better than shorts, Kevlar lined jeans are better than regular jeans, and dedicated motorcycle pants from any reputable manufacturer are better than kevlar lined jeans. Not every one has the extra jingle, or the inclination, to buy or wear the most expensive. Each person gets to choose how high on the protection/price totem pole they feel safe climbing.

Like this fellow I pulled up along side the other day

zUuRx9rh.jpg

I was certainly better protected in my HJC modular helmet, Tourmaster mesh jacket and gloves, and denim jeans, and boots. Not the best or most expensive outfit, but I feel comfortable wearing it while riding. (and I have Kevlar jeans and dedicated motorcycle pants hanging in the closet... just felt like wearing jeans that day)

It's like life insurance, not everyone springs for a million dollar policy.

Last edited:
You have to ride your ride, sir. I want the most protective gear I can afford at this point, but that’s just me. At the end of the day we all must make our own risk assessment.

If only there _was_ such a thing as “gear that doesn’t degrade from sunlight.” Unfortunately, there isn’t. Letting ANYTHING sit out in the sun here will show you just how destructive the sun can be on any and all fabrics of all kinds.

Maximum protection for the motorcycle rider is still obtained from thick leather, and really, it isn’t that close when a drop or fall is combined with a slide. Unfortunately, leather isn’t terribly suitable in many circumstances, so trade-offs are made and we each choose our own.

No gear will “eliminate” injury entirely (unfortunately), however the netter the gear, the less any injuries, esp asphalt rash, is likely to be. In the August edition of American Motorcyclist there’s a story of a young lady named Brittany Morrow who fell off the back of a sport bike a few years ago and slid a LONG way without PPE. She had lost most of the skin on her entire body. A very long, very very painful recovery. Multiple skin grafts. She went back to riding, is now an instructor and speaker-a true believer in ATGATT.

Rabbit - I love my Darians and they are my all-around, everyday riding pants. They are custom length and I bought them one size larger than my street pants so there's plenty of room inside which allows good airflow even on 90-degree days and during cold weather, I can wear long johns with it feeling too tight. I've had them for 8+ years now and recently the fly zipper failed so I sent them back and it took them two weeks (from arrival in Duluth) to get them back to me!

They were under $300 when I bought them but I'd buy another pair for $420 without giving it a 2nd thought. I've had several close friends who've had car-vs-motorcycle accidents and survived nicely thank to their Aerostich gear. And Aerostich was able to repair or replace whatever was damaged!

ps. there is a 12 yr limit on what they'll repair. :)

The way I see it, regular jeans are better than shorts, Kevlar lined jeans are better than regular jeans, and dedicated motorcycle pants from any reputable manufacturer are better than kevlar lined jeans. Not every one has the extra jingle, or the inclination, to buy or wear the most expensive. Each person gets to choose how high on the protection/price totem pole they feel safe climbing.

..........I was certainly better protected in my HJC modular helmet, Tourmaster mesh jacket and gloves, and denim jeans, and boots. Not the best or most expensive outfit, but I feel comfortable wearing it while riding. (and I have Kevlar jeans and dedicated motorcycle pants hanging in the closet... just felt like wearing jeans that day)

It's like life insurance, not everyone springs for a million dollar policy.
All my mesh gear, tank bags and soft luggage for the last 15 years has been Tourmaster. It's been great stuff and I highly recommend it. If Tourmaster made a solid textile 1 piece in 2005 I'm sure I'd have gone that route instead of buying a used Aerostich although with that decision Aerostich was able to prove to me it's ability last for a long time and amortize it's higher initial cost.

I was able to buy my first Aerostich suit lightly used for half of new cost and my Darien pants were also half price.

Darien user here for over 30 years. It was been my only jacket of choice for all season riding.
Water “proof”, warm, well made, good design, decent crash protection that I have not tested.
One of the best features is factory alteration…….mine is L with 1.5” added arm length.

I have their heated liner as well with add sleeve length.

The fabric is plenty heavy and many comment its too stiff until the jacket is “broken in.”

The red jacket is retired to dirt riding and ATV use. It really was fire engine red over 30 years ago. A few wear holes and water proofing is compromised.

The gray jacket is over 12 years old size 44 custom arm length. It is faded similar to the red. It’s ready to be switched with the red jacket as it needs to completely retired. Planning a trip to Duluth for a new jacket in the near future. Obviously I would buy another Darien in heart beat. Not sure of the next color. I have the AVD pants as well. Not been a fan of the one piece suit but i understand the function and coverage advantage.

Estimated on the dates. I thought the jackets has an exact date on them ……don’t see now ?

2B60D5E7-7D12-4DC4-B10B-F385D15733A8.jpegB2DFA91F-8583-4C69-99C5-A4992096F925.jpeg0790EFC7-0432-4A79-8683-4CE87E24AECD.jpegF0F2F149-E651-43EB-A065-D372A98CB4FF.jpegF6CE3ACC-CD3A-4479-805C-B9DB3537E7D6.jpeg204080A7-45C1-481B-ADBE-2B9A0CF44798.jpeg

All my mesh gear, tank bags and soft luggage for the last 15 years has been Tourmaster. It's been great stuff and I highly recommend it. If Tourmaster made a solid textile 1 piece in 2005 I'm sure I'd have gone that route instead of buying a used Aerostich although with that decision Aerostich was able to prove to me it's ability last for a long time and amortize it's higher initial cost.

I was able to buy my first Aerostich suit lightly used for half of new cost and my Darien pants were also half price.
I am always amazed at the amount of used Aerostitch for sale on the forums. There are several Darrien outfits for sale now on the ST and FJR forums

Ha went to post the ones from the ST forum and they are posted by the same guys as on the FJR forum lol

I am always amazed at the amount of used Aerostitch for sale on the forums. There are several Darrien outfits for sale now on the ST and FJR forums

Ha went to post the ones from the ST forum and they are posted by the same guys as on the FJR forum lol
I think because used gear in the low and mid range prices/brands is not attractive but premium priced gear is. For instance I bought a used Roadcrafter for $400 that was damaged in a low side crash that convinced the owner that motorcycling wasn't for him and he sold the bike and all the stuff with it. The RC had been repaired and cleaned for the owner by Aerostich and virtually brand new when I received it. I used it 8 years maybe 100,000 miles and sold it for $250 on the IBMWR Marketplace in 2 hours. The weird thing is I bought the used one with sizing info for me but knowing the suit was made with alterations making it 1/2" shorter in the hip to knee and 1/2" in the knee to ankle. I took a chance on it and the suit fit like a glove for a short of leg man. When I bought the new one I used the same alterations.

There is really no reason to buy new gear, unless you just want to. Any piece of high end gear you want is available in the flea Mkt. down the hall at ADVRider and you can’t swing a dead cat in there without hitting a used roadcrafter…… or Klim Badlands.

If you don’t feel like waiting for one to pop up, just post a “want add” for specifically what you want and sellers will come to you…..and everything is negotiable. Going rate for gently used pieces are about 50% of retail.

I bought a used Sena 20S EVO last Thursday, shipped to me for $85 for a second helmet I have. It should arrive today.

There is really no reason to buy new gear, unless you just want to. Any piece of high end gear you want is available in the flea Mkt. down the hall at ADVRider and you can’t swing a dead cat in there without hitting a used roadcrafter…… or Klim Badlands.

If you don’t feel like waiting for one to pop up, just post a “want add” for specifically what you want and sellers will come to you…..and everything is negotiable. Going rate for gently used pieces are about 50% of retail.

I bought a used Sena 20S EVO last Thursday, shipped to me for $85 for a second helmet I have. It should arrive today.
Thanks for this tip. I was not aware of the volume of product available in the ADV Rider Flea Market.

Back