• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Is it ok to go in reverse in drive/sport mode, or are you supposed to switch to neutral first?

16DCT

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this is a really dumb question but this is my first bike with DCT and I was curious if I should shift into neutral first if I never need to roll the bike backwards while it's turned on in drive or sport mode?

For instance if I'm stopped at a light but it's not turning green so I have to roll the bike back to trigger the sensor. Is it bad to roll backwards in drive mode?

Also is there a better forum or FAQ thread to ask these types of questions? Sorry I'm new around these parts.

As far as I know, what you described will not cause any grief.

ps. It's not Reverse, such as a separate gear in a car. You're just rolling backwards a few feet. :)

Last edited:
That’s a good question that I don’t think anyone has asked before. When the bike is stopped, in D or S mode, and the throttle is closed, the clutch(es) are not engaged. The bike is free to roll backwards. I don’t think the DCT computer reacts to the wheels moving in this situation. If it were to react, all it could do would be to engage a clutch and that would be bad/silly. I think in the same way it’s free to roll forward, too. I don’t believe the wheel sensors detect which direction a wheel is turning, only that it is turning and how fast.

That’s a good question that I don’t think anyone has asked before. When the bike is stopped, in D or S mode, and the throttle is closed, the clutch(es) are not engaged. The bike is free to roll backwards. I don’t think the DCT computer reacts to the wheels moving in this situation. If it were to react, all it could do would be to engage a clutch and that would be bad/silly. I think in the same way it’s free to roll forward, too. I don’t believe the wheel sensors detect which direction a wheel is turning, only that it is turning and how fast.
THIS ^^^

My house is on a hill. If I stop for the mail I am stopping on a hill. The clutch is apparently disengaged when I stop. If I let off the brake the bike free rolls backwards. I use the parking brake while reaching into the mailbox. Same thing happens if I stop on my way out to put something in the mailbox, except the bike free rolls forward.

Go to a flat parking lot, shift the bike into D or one of the S modes, and stop. When you are stopped on flat ground you can push the bike in either direction. I've never pushed it backwards more than a foot or two, but seems to be disengaged when you are stopped and your hand is off the throttle.

While the clutches are disengaged at tickover, I assume they are also disengaged if the bike is switched off while still in gear. However if one moves the bike around in that situation (switched off in gear) there is a noticeable drag thru the drive train.

My thought process on this is that unless you are one of them world's strongest men types, if you are able to move it under manual power you won't hurt anything. Anyone who has ever tried pushing a manual bike that is off while it is in gear and the clutch engaged knows how difficult it is and often just results in the back tire sliding.

You can roll it if stopped and off throttle but be carefully. If you rotate throttle when pulling it could be a bad day as clutch will engage and bike surge forward.

Yep. Very true. Heard of a new owner who was manoevring the bike manually while it was still in gear and he was alongside it. He accidentally blipped the throttle and the bike took off. It rammed a parked car and significant damage was done to both.

My thought process on this is that unless you are one of them world's strongest men types, if you are able to move it under manual power you won't hurt anything. Anyone who has ever tried pushing a manual bike that is off while it is in gear and the clutch engaged knows how difficult it is and often just results in the back tire sliding.
On DCTs when engine is at idle and bike stopped the clutch is disengaged. This is why it needs a parking brake.

On DCTs when engine is at idle and bike stopped the clutch is disengaged. This is why it needs a parking brake.
I know. My point was that most people won't be able to overpower any mechanical resistance that is high enough to result in damage to the bike.

Last edited:
Back