• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is it time to replace my helmet?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was washing my helmet Bell RS-1 (3rd time since I bought it) after my last ride and the sticker on the styrofoam reminded me that maybe it time to pull the plug? I bout it in October 2017, but it looks like it was built in September 2013.

PXL_20221022_223846590(2).jpg

I did drop it couple times from my hands wen trying to put it on, but nothing than that.
And I don't see any cracks or anything suspicious on the styrofoam.

I know there is a "rule" to replace a helmet every 5 years, but I also read some articles in moto magazines saying it's kinda BS. More a marketing thing. Something like trying to convince you that the label on food "Best use before..." is the same as "Expired by...".

Any thoughts?

Personally, I would replace it. To me, it's not worth the risk, especially if it was built in 2013. I'm sure others will disagree.

Ultimately, it is up to you to determine your own risk tolerance.

I think 5 years is a wee bit too early for modern helmets made with modern materials (unless they've been mistreated, been crashed, etc.). But almost 10 years strikes me as too long. Mine's at 7 and I'm actively looking for a new lid.

I pay no attention to the 5 year thing, which is the same recommendation that was touted 50 years ago. I would go by the condition, not the age. If my helmets are maintaining good fit and condition, the shell and padding are undamaged, they generally last me 10 years or more.

If you want to go by the recommended 5 year replacement interval, then the question has already been answered. Replace it.

Ultimately it depends on how comfortable you are wearing the lid. I'm not really sure when my 3 primary helmets were made (I'm sure it's more than 5 years ago though), but the insides are clean the shells look good, they've never been dropped, when not being worn they are stored in my climate-controlled house out of the sun, the shields are still crystal clear and the helmets still fit me well, so I will continue to wear them.

If manufacturers and retailers were truly serious about the 5 year helmet age limit, that 2013 helmet you bought in 2017 should have been discounted 80% off, as a prorated amount based on it’s remaining useful life. But I assume it wasn’t, right?

Maybe try on some helmets at a store and compare the fit to your existing one. With the relative comparison you can see a change is needed.

I replaced my last helmet at 5 years ish. I wear it 5 days a week for about an hour. I could feel the difference in the fit and felt it justified the replacement. My original helmet was $200 in June of 2015. I started with the $300 replacement in Feb of 2021 after some online retailer adventures. Perhaps better materials give a longer life span...material claims could also be marketing ... ymmv :)

Reactions: MZ5
I can't find the research article at the moment. That said, you can try on your own over at google scholar. Dr. Snively PHD, the founder of Snell, tested old and new motorcycle helmets from one of the large Highway Patrol agencies, I think California Highway Patrol. Some ten-year-old helmets were good as new. Others at two or three were on their way out. Independent of any manufacturers' recommendation, Snell supports replacement at ~5 years. Their recommendation came out of peer reviewed research. Ignore or accept Snively's guidance but reading the research might change your opinion one way or the other. I did a quick google search and you can find references to Snively's recommendation and research (still can't find the publication but it was CHP according to the articles).

My point in sharing this is that the experiences of contributors here may align to the 10 years and good as new observation made by Snively, obviously 100% plausible. The data set here on the forum is too small (for something this important) and is influenced by individual experiences. You may not get the perspective of those who had failures in a helmet at ~ 5 years. Looking at a wide set of data may influence your position as to replace or continue wearing your current helmet.

Quote from Snell.

"Unused helmets stored in good condition do not automatically expire after five years. Replacing helmets every five years is a judgement call based on testing helmets used by the California Highway Patrol by Dr. George Snively. Wear and tear, the simple act of putting on and taking off helmets, damage the comfort pads and energy absorbing foam liner over time. Helmets with worn-out pads are at least one to two sizes larger than helmets in new condition. A poorly fitted helmet makes it more likely that the helmet will shift too much or even come off the head during a crash impact. For these reasons, Snell recommends replacing helmet after five years of normal use."

What I wish I had done when I purchased my latest helmet, was also purchase a set on interior pads for that helmet at that time, and packed them away for later install when the helmet was 5, maybe 7 years old. I’ve looked for a set of pads for this model helmet now, but they are no longer available.

I removed an Arai from use recently. It wasn’t due to age or worn out liners or foam. I’ve purchased replacement liner parts for it before. It was because it had been dropped or knocked off of high places too many times, and the last time broke some parts that are no longer available. The helmet I use now is an even older Arai (maybe 11 years since manufacture date?), though it has fewer miles and less wear on it. Parts have been discontinued for it for a while, so once it needs anything more I’ll have to replace it. I tend to get my Arais at times where they are discounted because the model is being phased out, or the dealer has had it for a long time and wants their money out of it. The only problem that causes is that even Arai stops offering parts after a while.

I appreciate Snell’s input because it is honest and transparent. They say how they arrived at their recommendation, and there’s enough info there that a person can make their own determination based on the same factors (or just follow the recommendation).

I will look for a helmet certified to the newest standards when the time comes. That time is not yet, though.

What I wish I had done when I purchased my latest helmet, was also purchase a set on interior pads for that helmet at that time, and packed them away for later install when the helmet was 5, maybe 7 years old. I’ve looked for a set of pads for this model helmet now, but they are no longer available.
That’s what I did when I purchased two new identical helmets a couple of years ago. I also bought different size helmet padding so that I could custom fit the helmet. Worked for me!

This from mzforida -
"You may not get the perspective of those who had failures in a helmet at ~ 5 years."
Failures would result in not being able to post at all!!!
Just to add my two cents - my 10 plus year old helmet works for me.
Not even looking for a replacement.

This from mzforida -
"You may not get the perspective of those who had failures in a helmet at ~ 5 years."
Very possible. Another option is that members of the forum just don’t want to participate in the convo. Or they are like me and believe helmets last longer than five years, trust the guidance to replace helmets at around 5 years, but aren’t knowledgeable enough to comment. Lots of other reasons too. That said, your point about not being around to post may be spot on! I think we can reasonably draw conclusions that it is a good idea to replace helmets somewhere between that 2.5 and 7.5 year range, but still may not be necessary, and none of us want to be the statistic.

This from mzforida -
Why would you assume the only outcome of a helmet failure is a fatality or massive brain injury? A loose EPS liner, loose or fraying strap would be noticeable and cause to immediately replace the helmet.

I would not call a loose liner or fraying strap a failure.
I would call a break or split in two on impact a failure and you would not be coming back from that would you.

I would not call a loose liner or fraying strap a failure.
I would call a break or split in two on impact a failure and you would not be coming back from that would you.
What if the frayed strap fails on the first bounce or impact and the helmet comes off the head, then on the second bounce or impact you get a head injury. The helmet did not break or split in two, but your head was unprotected. That is a failure. By comparison, if a chunk of tread is missing from your tire, but it still holds air, is that not a failure in your mind because the tire hasn't blown out and caused a crash yet?

If the loose liner does not adequately secure your head and allow the EPS to do the most it can to absorb the impact, you could receive more head injury than with a properly fitted helmet. The helmet did not break or split in two, but it is still a failure.

Many parts of the helmet play a role in maximizing protection, not just the outer shell. A failure, in my opinion, would be any instance where the helmet does not protect against injury to a degree expected of the original helmet design and new condition.

What if the frayed strap fails on the first bounce or impact and the helmet comes off the head, then on the second bounce or impact you get a head injury. The helmet did not break or split in two, but your head was unprotected. That is a failure. By comparison, if a chunk of tread is missing from your tire, but it still holds air, is that not a failure in your mind because the tire hasn't blown out and caused a crash yet?

If the loose liner does not adequately secure your head and allow the EPS to do the most it can to absorb the impact, you could receive more head injury than with a properly fitted helmet. The helmet did not break or split in two, but it is still a failure.

Many parts of the helmet play a role in maximizing protection, not just the outer shell. A failure, in my opinion, would be any instance where the helmet does not protect against injury to a degree expected of the original helmet design and new condition.
Agreed. My logic follows yours. We change our oil, brake fluid, whatever, earlier than the manufacturer recommends. Many here in hot climates put calendar reminders to change batteries every three years, religiously. We clean, lube, and adjust our chains to prolong their life. My opinion is that helmets and other PPE are wear items requiring maintenance and replacement. I’m generalizing of course. I could care less if this motorcycle has its engine seized, but I still maintain it to prevent that from happening. For me, and I am not dismissing anyone else’s opinion on the subject, it just makes sense to follow the expert advice to protect myself as best I am able. That said, I believe even an aged helmet is better than none at all though I have no proof other than Occam’s Razor.

Why would you assume the only outcome of a helmet failure is a fatality or massive brain injury? A loose EPS liner, loose or fraying strap would be noticeable and cause to immediately replace the helmet.
A good point. I’ve got a Shoei which I’ve had for many years. Outwardly it’s in great shape, but I no longer wear it because the chin strap is frayed slightly and the liner is so compressed and worn it gives no feeling of comfort. I would wear it if the strap wasn’t frayed, and I could get a replacement liner (not available).

Last edited:
Back