• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is NC750X DCT Suitable for Driving Test?

Wacker_T

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I got a 2020 NC750X DCT in September 2021. I completed my IBT on smaller regular manual bikes.

It’s my first motorbike and I’m really enjoying it.
I’m based in Dublin, Ireland and have had a few nice long trips. Donegal, Tipperary, Kerry & Galway

I applied for my Class A driving test this week and await an invitation.

Meanwhile a friend mentioned that he thought there might be some reason that I may not be able to use the bike for my test.

I’m over 50 and I don’t mind the Class A license being only for Automatic bikes.
I already have a full Irish driving license that covers B for cars, AM for 50cc motorcycle and also class A but with a 79.03 restriction for Tricycles only.

Is anyone aware of a reason that the bike might not be acceptable to the examiner on my test ?

Wacker

...Is anyone aware of a reason that the bike might not be acceptable to the examiner on my test ?...
As required by the Irish Road Safety Authority (RSA), you can have a Category A license test on any type of motorcycle.

Capture (1024x721).jpg

Thanks Lootzyan

I get that the Bike falls under the type A category.

I was just wondering if there was any reason whatsoever why I wouldn’t be allowed use the particular model on the day of my driving test.

It could be just hearsay.

This is exactly how I interpret it - there are no requirements on what type of motorcycle the test should be carried out on.
But I think you could check it directly at the test site.

For me, there is an interesting requirement to have "own compatible radio earpieces with you to your motorcycle driving test".

Hi

I got a 2020 NC750X DCT in September 2021. I completed my IBT on smaller regular manual bikes.

It’s my first motorbike and I’m really enjoying it.
I’m based in Dublin, Ireland and have had a few nice long trips. Donegal, Tipperary, Kerry & Galway

I applied for my Class A driving test this week and await an invitation.

Meanwhile a friend mentioned that he thought there might be some reason that I may not be able to use the bike for my test.

I’m over 50 and I don’t mind the Class A license being only for Automatic bikes.
I already have a full Irish driving license that covers B for cars, AM for 50cc motorcycle and also class A but with a 79.03 restriction for Tricycles only.

Is anyone aware of a reason that the bike might not be acceptable to the examiner on my test ?

Wacker

Tbh I have never heard of any issues with DCT equipped bikes on Driving licence tests. They have been around for a good while, so if there was a problem I suspect it would have surfaced by now. Another point to consider is that your NC is not a full automatic and can be changed to full manual with the press of a button.

Tbh I have never heard of any issues with DCT equipped bikes on Driving licence tests. They have been around for a good while, so if there was a problem I suspect it would have surfaced by now. Another point to consider is that your NC is not a full automatic and can be changed to full manual with the press of a button.
To clarify, if there was “full manual”, it would give the user full control of the clutch. No modes of the DCT allow that. You also cannot directly select a gear; you can only request one, and the transmission will only engage it if the request is within allowed parameters. Even in ”manual mode”, the DCT will still automatically downshift and then automatically disengage the clutch as the motorcycle comes to a stop. Honda DCT manual mode could be considered to be a semi-automatic mode.

Thanks Griff.

I’m gonna check it when I get the invitation to sit my test.

However, even though this may have been completely wrong.

It wasn’t a DCT issue, it was the bike.

Below is the text from my mate in Galway that’s drives a regular manual NCT750X

I couldn’t use my version because it fell between the two classes. They have a list of bikes that fall into A and A1 and my 750 fell into neither category.

As a result the instructor wouldnt take me out for the test, he told me to either get it restricted or borrow a bike.

It was deemed a fail as I couldn’t complete the test and yes, if I restricted it then I only qualified for an A1. I had to apply again and rent a bike from the guy I did my lessons with.

Attached the requirement an the bike spec.

Does the NC750X fall between two stools?.

51 Horse Power is only 37kw.

Has anyone else sat an A license test on an NC750X?

Attachments

• 39B38229-42F0-4018-ABBF-408B9AF04D00.png
    39B38229-42F0-4018-ABBF-408B9AF04D00.png
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 4D16F6C3-AC5F-4420-82FC-5122A103C0F6.png
    4D16F6C3-AC5F-4420-82FC-5122A103C0F6.png
    409.3 KB · Views: 11
I thought I read somewhere that they bumped it to 750 so that there wouldn't be quite so much overlap with the CB500, so the CB would be the A2 bike and the NC the unrestricted. I don't think that has much relevance here but I thought it was interesting when I read it.

To clarify, if there was “full manual”, it would give the user full control of the clutch. No modes of the DCT allow that. You also cannot directly select a gear; you can only request one, and the transmission will only engage it if the request is within allowed parameters. Even in ”manual mode”, the DCT will still automatically downshift and then automatically disengage the clutch as the motorcycle comes to a stop. Honda DCT manual mode could be considered to be a semi-automatic mode.

I sit corrected.

Attached the requirement an the bike spec.

Does the NC750X fall between two stools?.

51 Horse Power is only 37kw.

Has anyone else sat an A license test on an NC750X?

Another example of nonsensical bureaucracy. Obviously the upper specs need to be altered to accomodate the NC's power level.

Reactions: MZ5
Back