• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC700X a touring bike?

A "touring bike" can be whatever you want to use. Back in the day, people rode coast-to-coast on Honda 250s.

Stock seat here. (2) 2000+ mile trips and (1) 6600 mile trip, riding solo.
More large rides like this planned in the future for me.

Last edited:
IMO for long touring ergonomics are not ideal. Knees angle and body lean angle
but seat is comfortable. Passenger seat is for pulling chicks only.

We do have a Triumph Rocket III Touring bike for long runs.

But I love the MPGs of this bike and the handling.

I like how lite the bike is compared to the Triumph.

When we took the 74 mile ride on it on Monday it was a little sore upon arrival at my in-laws

But then 7 hours later we were only half way home and my own backside was screaming "Let me up - I've had enough!!!!!"

I thought with panniers and a small trunk to go with some sort of seat upgrade and this bike could take us for the 6 hour run I was thinking about.

Multiple times we hit hills two up (I am a little bigger at 210 LBS and my wife is medium build at 5'2") and had no problems passing vehicles.

I was surprised how much power this bike does have.

So, the only issue would really be the seating.

The Honda dealer I bought it off of also has one for himself and he is changing the manifold to place a different exhaust on it.

He said he will get a different seat just because I have asked him about it.

He said I can then take his with the different seat for a ride.

He is leaning towards a Seat Concepts seat.

I have not been there for a month.

The bike should be ready!!!!

I will report back.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

God bless!!

Michael

Not a mention so far about the suspension. I'm shocked (ha). The seat is an easy fix the rider position as mentioned is poor for long distances but in my mind the biggest issue is the stock suspension sucks!

We do have a Triumph Rocket III Touring bike for long runs.

But I love the MPGs of this bike and the handling.

I like how lite the bike is compared to the Triumph.

When we took the 74 mile ride on it on Monday it was a little sore upon arrival at my in-laws

But then 7 hours later we were only half way home and my own backside was screaming "Let me up - I've had enough!!!!!"

I thought with panniers and a small trunk to go with some sort of seat upgrade and this bike could take us for the 6 hour run I was thinking about.

Multiple times we hit hills two up (I am a little bigger at 210 LBS and my wife is medium build at 5'2") and had no problems passing vehicles.

I was surprised how much power this bike does have.

So, the only issue would really be the seating.

The Honda dealer I bought it off of also has one for himself and he is changing the manifold to place a different exhaust on it.

He said he will get a different seat just because I have asked him about it.

He said I can then take his with the different seat for a ride.

He is leaning towards a Seat Concepts seat.

I have not been there for a month.

The bike should be ready!!!!

I will report back.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

God bless!!

Michael

I have the Seat Concepts and love it. Get the grip cover. Also suggest Changing the rear the rear shock if carrying a passenger. You can adjust the sag to compensate for the extra passenger weight.

You have Rocket III and you are <surprised> how much power a 500lb, 40 something horsepower bike has?? Two up???

My brain just exploded....seriously.

:)

I was not expecting the NCX to take a big hill two up and continue to pass vehicles.

And there was a little snap to it (though not a lot).

I feel it is not fair to compare much to our Rocket with the amount of HP and Torque that machine has.

I thought we would be passed by everyone.

Kind of like driving a 1.6L engine standard shift car up a big hill.

You slow down, down, down and gear down, down, down, as everyone passes you.

I was expecting more like that (though not exactly like that.)

I thought I would have to gear down one notch to maintain a steady speed.

With the Rocket it is like "what mountain?"

God bless!!

Michael

Did 1500+ miles last weekend FL to NC. The NCX did fine even overtaking on inclines with me, a set of panniers and a top case. Taller windshield really helped as well as highway pegs. Oh, Sargent seat with Airhawks.

Had my wife on a 400 mile trip about a month ago. She had the Airhawk. That's probably the longest she's ridden with me ever. The Airhawk and backrest on the top case helped a lot. Her only complaint was the leg position. I just picked up some passenger peg extenders so that should help for future trips.

Did 1500+ miles last weekend FL to NC. The NCX did fine even overtaking on inclines with me, a set of panniers and a top case. Taller windshield really helped as well as highway pegs. Oh, Sargent seat with Airhawks.

Had my wife on a 400 mile trip about a month ago. She had the Airhawk. That's probably the longest she's ridden with me ever. The Airhawk and backrest on the top case helped a lot. Her only complaint was the leg position. I just picked up some passenger peg extenders so that should help for future trips.

Where did you get the foot peg extenders from?

My wife will love them.

Thanks for any help!!

God bless!!!

Michael

They were by SSR. Available direct or through eBay. I've purchased stuff from them before and am very happy with the quality. The extenders on eBay are adjustable from 25 to 40 mm as well as more forward or back. I think you can also ask for longer extenders.

IMO for long touring ergonomics are not ideal. Knees angle and body lean angle
but seat is comfortable. Passenger seat is for pulling chicks only.
That old joke brings back some memories. Lol. It may be good for pulling chicks, but I bet its not hawk talon proof

Last edited:
They were by SSR. Available direct or through eBay. I've purchased stuff from them before and am very happy with the quality. The extenders on eBay are adjustable from 25 to 40 mm as well as more forward or back. I think you can also ask for longer extenders.

I am having a hard time locating them.

Would you be able to provide a link for me?

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

That old joke brings back some memories. Lol. It may be good for pulling chicks, but I bet its not hawk talon proof

I'm not seeing it good jumping over logs either. :rolleyes:

The NC is a commuter first.

2. Urban tourer (DCT)

3. General tourer

4. ADV tourer. With some suspension mods and engine and sump protection

5. Dirt Bike :)

I have just first time given a ride to my wife, she said the seat was horrible...
Let's face it, this bike is for solo riding only.

People tour with far less, a guy just rode a 90cc scooter around the world. I’ve done 10k mile trips on a WR250R, after that the NC700X is luxurious. The bike is small enough to jump on for running errands and nipping around town while being near-perfect for weekend trips and pretty decent for long hauls.

Here's my fall trip last year on the X:
10648741_10205446268139831_423065535466642574_o.jpg

A better seat makes a huge difference, I wanted a Russel Day-Long but due to time constraints got a Sargent and I'm very happy with it. After a 500+ mile day my butt is sore but I normally do about 350 a day and that's well within the comfort range. The main difference for my is that the next day my *** is fine whereas the next day on the stock seat I’m still in pain from the day before.

Other things I did to make my trips more comfortable:
Honda touring screen - I’m still not happy with the windscreen setup but I didn’t like the Madstad, I ended up creating some brackets in a motel one night on the trip and it helped, I’ll try an MRA next and possibly the Palmer brackets.
Heated Grips (OEM) - it gets cold up north
Hand warmers from Storm Industries - giant muffs that wrap the handlebars and come up past the gloves, very very nice with the heated grips on when it gets below zero
Barkbuster Storms - keeps the cold off my hands, protects the levers when the bike takes a nap and allows for the hand warmers
Replaced rear seat with rack carrying a 1 gallon rotopax of spare fuel - I’ve run out a few times, it’s nice knowing you have it if you need it, it also has a cut-out around the gas cap so no more seat-flipping for fillups
Bungee net over the rotopax - easy way to stash things
Ram cupholder - really really happy with this, much prefer it to guzzling water at gas stops or wearing a camelback-style backpack
LED Aux lighting on the OEM lightbar - not a fan of night riding but they do help
Globescout Panniers - I used a Giant Loop Coyote on the WR and I this time I wanted something secure and waterproof
Pannier top bags from Storm Industries - I keep my frunk empty so I could always stash my helmet there so these act as my tank bag for stashing things I want to get to in a hurry
Garmin Virb - I videoed the entire trip, not sure I’ll bother next time but I’ll likely still take it and just use it when I want to
Cheap Walmart pelican-style waterproof box that holds a spare batteries, a USB battery pack and USB charger for the Garmin Virb as batteries only last 3 hours or so
GPS mount - for my Garmin 78s, bulletproof but basic
Cell phone mount - TomTom on my phone is a much better GPS than my marine garmin, so long as its not raining
Hardwired power for GPS, USB and the 12v in the trunk
Center stand - makes chain maintenance a breeze

Here she is at Death Valley:
IMG_0028.jpg

Last edited:
Back