• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC700X a touring bike?

after I tested drove v-strom 650 today the answer is definitely no - nc700/750 is not a touring bike.

Funny how you riding a particular motorcycle defines the status of another one. How does that work? :confused:

As of today, anyone touring on an NC700 needs to stop right now! It's not a touring bike! :eek:

Last edited:
Oh crap..............and it's not dirt bike either. If I only would have known this before I purchased it. I am parking mine until if figure out what it is.......this could be dangeous, HONDA should have put a warning label on the tank.

Someone should call mz5.......I think he is on an extended tour in the PNW. Maybe if he keeps it under 600 miles per day he will be ok.

Last edited:
Two little words could end all of these debates....

"For ME"

Add those words to your opinion posts and it will be amazing how much more productive the discussions will be.

The reason I bought this bike is that it seems to be the swiss army knife of motorcycles. I am not interested in owning multiple motorcycles, so I wanted to find the bike that would do everything ok. In every category there are better motorcycles, but this is the best multi use bike I found. The other bikes I considered were the Suzuki SV650 and the Kawasaki Versys 650. I even looked at the Suzuki Burgman. In the end I was sold on the low center of gravity and the frunk.

Yep, this is the bike for me for (no particular order):
1. Commuting
2. Touring
3. Running to the store
4. Getting away from it all
5. Finding back roads and hidden hollars
6. Running around town
7. Running errands
8. Playing

"For me" :) the area the NCX does not rate at least acceptable is in 2up riding and that is subjective depending on the pillion riders leg length and booty size. I may buy another bike at some point, but the NCX will be in my garage for a long long time as te best all round bike I've ever ridden :D

Funny how you riding a particular motorcycle defines the status of another one. How does that work? :confused:

As of today, anyone touring on an NC700 needs to stop right now! It's not a touring bike! :eek:

no, it's funny like people who already own some bike (or car) cannot judge clearly and objectively anymore their vehicle.
Go out, test ride some other bikes and open your eyes.

Two little words could end all of these debates....

"For ME"

Add those words to your opinion posts and it will be amazing how much more productive the discussions will be.

Of course for me, who else??? actually for my party as well. Besides there are some realities...
This bike is more for solo adventure riding suited, and rather shorter trip, definitely not RTW.

no, it's funny like people who already own some bike (or car) cannot judge clearly and objectively anymore their vehicle.
Go out, test ride some other bikes and open your eyes.

You appear unhappy with your NC750.

It seems though, like you will only post more, and more, about what you don't like about your bike, until you get rid of it for one you do? I'm not overly caring if my objectivity and (lack of) "clear thinking" of my much liked NC, don't match up with your view on yours. No offense meant of course, just speaking my mind.

Maybe you would be happier on a different bike forum, one where the owners can better help you with an alternative bike choice? I'm not going to try and talk you out of your funk with the NC's shortcomings, anymore than I am going to feel the need to justify my own praises of it, but I will offer up counter arguments and express my views as I see fit.

My NC is an awesome touring bike. :p

Of course for me, who else??? actually for my party as well. Besides there are some realities...
This bike is more for solo adventure riding suited, and rather shorter trip, definitely not RTW.

Tell that to these guys.
https://nomadsmoto.wordpress.com/

And I dont care about 2 up, so I never even worried about it. There will not be a passenger on my bike. someone wants to ride with me, they get their own.

Tell that to these guys.
https://nomadsmoto.wordpress.com/

And I dont care about 2 up, so I never even worried about it. There will not be a passenger on my bike. someone wants to ride with me, they get their own.

What I don't properly understand, and never likely will, is the negativity. I have racked up hundreds of thousands of kilometres between my 185, 350's, 400's, 450's, 500cc bikes, with passengers some of the time, heavier than me.

I had an absolute blast, going to Mexico and back from northern Canada, on my little 400cc Honda twin. Texas and the Gulf of Mexico from BC and back, on my 500 twin. Aside from my butt being sore, (DR350 seat was the debbil incarnate though! :eek:) I had the best time evar, going past the Arctic circle in Alaska and up to Inuvik and back from the southern BC on my old DR350.

I have a ball doing an easy 800+ km daytrip loop, screaming along at 11,000 RPM and 70 mph ( if I'm lucky and the road is flat, lol), on my 8 year old 14 horsepower CBR125R.

To each their own. I'm no riding Superman, and have more dumb bones in my body than the average joe, I'm the first to admit that.

You can't fault someone's personal boundary at what they don't like or can't hack, and obviously there are many, many vehicles more suited to every task under the sun, but dang, you gotta have *some* flexibility, or you'll forever be dissatisfied, no? :(

blah blah blah. I'm just bored at work and feeling feisty. No one pay any attention, hee hee :eek:

I have had my NC for 6 months (maybe 3-4 of that was actually rideable). It has over 6200 miles on it. My longest single way trip non stop was down to Hampton and it was right at 350 miles one way. I had no problems. I was tired, but more from never having done that before than anything else. The best way to utilize a piece of equipment is to know its limitations and work within them, and if those limitations do not allow you to be able to utilize that piece of equipment, you move on to a new piece of equipment. But to sit and complain about that equipment, but not make the necessary changes, is just ignorant. Make the change, or adjust. Complaining about something that is in your power to change but you do not change, well, see the previous statement.

blah blah blah. I'm just bored at work and feeling feisty. No one pay any attention, hee hee :eek:

Same here.

What I don't properly understand, and never likely will, is the negativity.

and what I don't understand is people blindly praising something what their own. What I like about ncx I stated and there is plenty to like
but what I don't like I will state as well. Forums are exactly for that to discuss what is good and what is bad, not only compliments each other.

In that sense if you say ncx is touring bike then it is also a dirt bike as I have treated it recently. Somehow some advice me to get proper dirt bike,
for that same reason I advice other bike for touring.

The difference is that you were complaining about the NCs shortcomings for your type of dirt bike riding, they have not been complaining about their type of touring rides.

and what I don't understand is people blindly praising something what their own.

Well what is it that makes you think they are "blindly" praising anything?

How can you quantify that? It's impossible to make a 100% accurate statement like that, and now more so reflects *your* preconceptions, and "non-logical or clear thinking" on the matter. (IMHO) It just seems like you are making conclusive results based factual statements, when they are, like your opposite view arguers, simply opinions.

I do follow you with the "fanboy" allusion, the same as the "hater" posts by people who diss a certain brand or model of bike. People can be deliberately obtuse.

I'm not trying to be exceptionally contrary or argumentative with you, for sure I mean no personal poking at ya. Apologies if I'm being interpreted that way. I've been accused of doing that a few times, when I don't think I was, but let it pass under the bridge rather than continue, just in case. There is no malice in my exchange. ;)

The difference is that you were complaining about the NCs shortcomings for your type of dirt bike riding, they have not been complaining about their type of touring rides.

but I am complaining about touring with this bike, just returned from Morocco 2 months ago, over 3k kilometers and while I have managed it somehow
it was not as comfortable as it should be. Lean angle too big, knee angle too small, suspension a joke. Then I did just hundred km with a pillion and again
ergonomics not good, power not enough for 2up, rear seat a joke so here you go.

I did a 600 mile trip solo on the stock seat. Sore, but doable. Now with the Shad (crappy quality, but cheap) I can do unlimited solo riding. Two up? 100 mile limit I'd say. As others have said before, not really enough power for 2 up, plus bags. My girlfriend is 120 pounds and wants to get riding herself, so she will probably be on my Hawk GT soon for longer rides.

any bike can tour..just read ADV. Its all about the level of comfort you want etc. Everyone has their own criteria. I've spent a lot of $ to get my NC to the comfort level I want. Still not quite there. I might have done better to just purchase a more expensive motorcycle set up for touring, say an FJR, but I wanted a smaller, lighter motorcycle. I actually wish the NC were in the low 400's vrs 500 lbs., but, in any design, there are compromises. I had a honda Nighthawk 750 that was great for me, but I sold it to get a more modern MC with ABS. The DCT was an unexpected bonus.

I feel like I can take the NC anywhere I want to travel. A big cruiser, might be more comfortable, but wouldn't be near the fun on a forest road.

Last edited:
I haven't owned it very long but I can assure it is not a touring bike. To light to carry rider and much luggage for long haul and definitely not comfortable for more than 1 1/2 to 2 hrs before stretch stop. Touring to me is 500 to 700 miles in a day and not ambulatory at the end of the ride. I ride NC locally for up to 250 or so miles but cross country I'll keep my 1999 Valkyrie Tourer. Faster, smoother and a whole lot more comfortable with at least two leg positions.

Back