• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC700X a touring bike?

I haven't owned it very long but I can assure it is not a touring bike. To light to carry rider and much luggage for long haul and definitely not comfortable for more than 1 1/2 to 2 hrs before stretch stop.

The numerous folks that rode the NC to Alaska or cross country should have checked in with you first! ;)

I'm planning a 2018 Alaska ride from the midwest. I'll probably take the NC since the Goldwing is just too much bulk to haul up there for only one rider. Smaller and lighter is better.

Last edited:
The ADV forum has a great thread on hauling your gear for camping. I've strived for less bulk and weight, yet keeping a level of comfort. For example, if not hammock camping, I carry a cot.

What is touring? Is there a set amount of miles per day that makes it touring? What does the word touring mean? Does it mean the same to everyone?

I would like to know. I am still planning a few week trip but I only schedule about 300 miles a day. Maybe I am just vacationing on a motorcycle and not touring. The bike seems to be fine for vacationing on a motorcycle.

Cigar mike, right on point. It's up to the individual to select their parameters, thus their motorcycle, for touring

Is the NC700X a touring bike? That is 100% up to the bike's owner. However, my dealer is trying his best to purchase my bike. For some funny reason he wants to put it his show room as a touring display!

I have owned at lot of bikes, been there, done that.
Well last year I was on a 1200 km trip to Germany on my NC750X DCT and this was the smootest, first class trip I ever rode. It was a joy!
I have been thinking about trade it for a VFR800 because I like the power, but now we have planed a 2000km trip to Harzen in Germany and I would really not drive that far on a VFR. I decided to keep my NC, and buy some sw-motech trax adventure panniers, because this bike is everything I ever need, and it is the bike I prefer when I really want to go somewhere. To me it is perfect for touring.
If I want better comfort I use my car.

Last edited:
Is the NC700X a touring bike? That is 100% up to the bike's owner. However, my dealer is trying his best to purchase my bike. For some funny reason he wants to put it his show room as a touring display!

tell him you'll do a straight swop for a new one.

I haven't owned it very long but I can assure it is not a touring bike. To light to carry rider and much luggage for long haul and definitely not comfortable for more than 1 1/2 to 2 hrs before stretch stop. Touring to me is 500 to 700 miles in a day and not ambulatory at the end of the ride. I ride NC locally for up to 250 or so miles but cross country I'll keep my 1999 Valkyrie Tourer. Faster, smoother and a whole lot more comfortable with at least two leg positions.

Well, there have been numerous reports on ADV and other places, including a couple of brothers from Canada who took a pair of NCs from Canada to Argentina. I put on 12000 miles last year with multiple 1500+ mile trips. I added an AirHawk 2 and have been happy ever since. I am looking to take a run to Alaska and back as early as next summer. Considering I am rarely on an interstate, a 1000 pound cruiser is not what I need. If I was gonna slog only on interstates, I would just use my car...

Is the NC a good two up touring bike? That might be a different answer. But that would also depend on who the two people are. My wife and I combined weight is 400 pounds. But anther couple may be under 300 pounds. Our opinions may be very different.

It is a similar situation when the question is asked if the NC is under powered.

Touring means different things to each rider. On the one hand I have the ST1300 which is a supremely capable sport touring bike and on the other I have the NC700X (my second). I've logged 158,xxx miles in the ten years I've owned the ST1300. It's a great bike for touring. Between both NCs about 37,xxx miles in three years. It's a great bike for touring. I've outfitted both with the things I need to be comfortable and be able to carry the things I need and take both of them on day rides, up to 500 miles or so, and on multiple day rides to far away places, 500 to 3000 miles away. I usually take 3 to 5 trips a year and in 2013 I didn't take the ST1300 on a single touring day but instead took the NC700X 16 days touring. My expectations are different for each bike and I tour on both of them and have a great time. I'm always riding solo.

Tell your dealer to call me...he can buy mine for his display!!! :cool:

2015-11-05 22.48.37.jpg

I know some of the folks on this forum use the NC as a touring bike but not me. I bought it to use on some of the Appalachian Mtn. gravel (crushed rodk) roads. Not many but wanted something other than a cruiser whose suspension wasn't designed for tough roads. And the NC is light to handle. However, the OEM seat is good for about one and a half or two hours. Then you need to fluff he tail feathers. I consider a touring bike one comfortable enough to ride 500 to 700 miles in a day and not be ambulatory when you stop. NC has a lot of power in low and mid range and great mpg.

I know some of the folks on this forum use the NC as a touring bike but not me. I bought it to use on some of the Appalachian Mtn. gravel (crushed rodk) roads. Not many but wanted something other than a cruiser whose suspension wasn't designed for tough roads. And the NC is light to handle. However, the OEM seat is good for about one and a half or two hours. Then you need to fluff he tail feathers. I consider a touring bike one comfortable enough to ride 500 to 700 miles in a day and not be ambulatory when you stop. NC has a lot of power in low and mid range and great mpg.
If the seat is the main complaint it can be modified or replaced. Many of us at least raise the front of it and flatten the seating area. That helped me to the point where I could do 1000 mile days on the stock seat. Eventually I replaced it with a Sargent - and still raised the front of it. Flattening the seating area does wonders.

I don't follow the Valkrie being a great long mile tourer. It sucks the gas and has a small for a tourer 5.3 gallon tank. I have a friend with one and it barely makes two hours 150 miles traveling at speed before he's needing to stop. The NC does better than that.

If the seat is the main complaint it can be modified or replaced. Many of us at least raise the front of it and flatten the seating area. That helped me to the point where I could do 1000 mile days on the stock seat. Eventually I replaced it with a Sargent - and still raised the front of it. Flattening the seating area does wonders.

I don't follow the Valkrie being a great long mile tourer. It sucks the gas and has a small for a tourer 5.3 gallon tank. I have a friend with one and it barely makes two hours 150 miles traveling at speed before he's needing to stop. The NC does better than that.

+1 on flattening out the stock seat by raising the tongue...that's all I needed too

Well I certainly hope it's a touring bike as I plan a bunch of trips in the next couple of years. Have a seat concepts seat, bars raised, pegs dropped and back. I'm a bit like L.B.S. went to Alaska and back from interior B.C. on a 350 Honda twin in 1977, drove all over B.C. on a Honda xl 250. I think it's the perfect one up touring bike for B.C. ifIMG_0585.jpg you like the roads less travelled.

I have had a multitude of touring bikes in the past, mostly BMWs. My back side has never tolerated a stock seat for long rides on any of them. Custom seats make a huge difference. They are expensive but well worth the money if you plan to tour on a NCX. I have had great results from Bill Mayer Saddles. Sargent makes a good saddle too though not custom. The NCX can be made into a tourer if you want to do so. Custom seat, better wind protection and luggage is all you need. I toured 2 up on a BMW in the early 80s with the same horsepower, an after market windscreen (only Windjammer was available) that was not any more comfortable than the NCX for long rides.

After spending 5+ hours on a mountain bike, I'd say yes. It's all relative though. I took off on a 1,000-mile 2-up ride with the wife on a Yamaha venture. 1 hour into it, she was good to go. I wanted to take a break because my butt was killing me.

Personally, I think it's just as important to break in your butt to the seat as the other way around. If you don't normally ride more than 30 minutes at a time, 5 or 6 hours is going to hurt...

Taking off on a 10 day trip in two weeks, will be riding two up, plan on doing 4k+ miles. My biggest concern is I haven't gotten a lot of seat time in this year and the wife has gotten even less. First day or two might be a little rough.

Any motorcycle can be a 'touring' bike. Heck, I had a Suzuki gz250 I used as a touring bike (11,000 miles in less than 6 months)-did a 5 day, 2500 mile trip on that little beast. It is all relative to what your body can endure.
Me and the little gz on the Dragon in 2007:
[video]https://sullivanedu-my.sharepoint.com/personal/dcampbell_my_sullivan_edu/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=mxJkSxdDUmreJLgj 4YpS6iwu9EhffB97HJ6JuSwzCnw%3d&docid=01e6fa7d246f64c22b293c7289425573c[/video]

Last edited:
Back