• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC750x dct a good beginners bike?

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a noobie looking to buy my first bike I anticipate it to be the 2021 NC750x dct. I am attracted by the dct transmission, description of street/highway characteristics, abs, and being 6 foot tall/200 lbs believe that I will be able to flatfoot the bike with the lowering of the seat without problems, comparative maintenance schedule and expected quality of a Honda and therefore longevity of the motorcycle. From what I have read from many invaluable posts in this forum that I realize that nothing is perfect and I am comfortable with the fact that I will be able to address the things I wish to change for my own personal preferences. To the extent it is possible I hope not to buy a lesser cc bike and then "work" my way up but will if that is the best option to pursue.

That assessment will start once I have the opportunity to test some of my assumptions at the dealership. But before I have the chance to begin I think it is probably a good time to ask the more experienced riders in this forum (essentially everyone):

1. Is the nc750x dct a good beginners bike? Why or why not?

2. What other bikes should I consider. if any? Why?

Thanks in advance.

The NC is a good beginner, intermediate and final bike. It has enough power to do what you need with a lower gearing to allow for solid takeoffs and prevent stalling (in the manual anyway). The practicality and unique frunk space is an excellent addition. Low center of gravity will allow for good low speed handling.
I have the manual unit and love it. I’m 5’10” and can flat foot pretty easily. So if you’re 6’ you should have no problems.
If you’re looking at other bikes it depends on how mechanical you are: very mechanical then I’d look at the Royal Enfield interceptor. Less mechanical then perhaps a Harley Davidson sportster (low maintenance with a belt drive and lower power but somewhat top heavy). The Cb500x is also a good competitor. There are others but too many to list. Just depends on the style you’re looking for. Cruisers tend to be lower maintenance with belt drives and lower revving engines but they’re harder to steer with their feet forward position. Sport bikes the opposite.

The NC is a good beginner, intermediate and final bike. blah blah blah
I agree with Rabbit :)

Initially I think most beginners should have a lighter/smaller bike. But if you are 6' tall and 200# then the small/light bike is not an issue. At roughly 500# the NC is certainly not a heavyweight, but neither is it light.

You will be able to flat foot it without an issue. You and I are the same size, it is not a problem for me to flat foot mine.

The DCT requires a slightly different technique than using a clutch. I find that, at LOW SPEEDS, like parking lot, stop signs or drive thru window speeds, I work the rear brake with my right foot and apply a little throttle against the brake to modulate the speed. Normally you'd not rely so heavily on the rear brake but modulate throttle with the clutch. It is an easy technique to learn, it is just a little different.

TAKE A MOTORCYCLE SAFETY CLASS it will help you in more ways than I can describe.

Thank-you Rabbitt and Melensdad for your replies. I appreciate all that you have shared with me.
Just to let you know I've already taken my safety class and obtained my MC endorsement. And with everything else that you have said I agree that the MSC was of immeasurable value, not only from the prescribed content but also from the additional suggestions of the rider coaches.

I think the NC750 might be a bit high 'flicky' for a first bike. I was glad I had a fairly low cruiser before I had this. The NC is perfectly balanced and you don't even know your riding on it half the time but getting on/off and feeling comfortable with some low speed stuff took some getting used to. I'm 6'3" and can stand flat foot, but it being so tall could be tricky for a noob.

The lower power cruiser I had (Yamaha Vstar 650) was a perfect starter bike for me: inexpensive, well balanced, not too much power, easy to maintain...

Just another person's opinion.

My first was a Royal Enfield bullet 500. 30 horsepower only. Top speed 75 mph, but honestly I think the NC is a better beginner bike. You really will have a hard time getting into too much trouble with it. I do recommend either a mid set or rear set controls for a beginner bike. The further you’re leaned forward the more control you have (but the less comfy it tends to be for long rides)

My NC was my first bike. At 6 years in I wouldn't change it. If I were going to advise another person I would recommend a bike based on what their intended use was. For example, if a person wanted to go fast I would recommend something with sport egos. Nothing with a ton of horse power but something leaned over the tank. Similar the feet forward position of a cruiser it would be something different. I think the NC does a decent job with the middle ground. Upright riding position, on board storage, fuel economy, reliability which still make it practical for a commuter like me.

I think the NC750 might be a bit high 'flicky' for a first bike. I was glad I had a fairly low cruiser before I had this. The NC is perfectly balanced and you don't even know your riding on it half the time but getting on/off and feeling comfortable with some low speed stuff took some getting used to. I'm 6'3" and can stand flat foot, but it being so tall could be tricky for a noob.

The lower power cruiser I had (Yamaha Vstar 650) was a perfect starter bike for me: inexpensive, well balanced, not too much power, easy to maintain...

Just another person's opinion.
Lomunchi thanks so much for your thoughts on the matter. I understand what you are saying but being a noobie I figure that I will have to get used to the things you bring up with any bike. A buddy of mine has a Vstar 650 and he enjoys it very much. I would consider it further but I am interested in getting a MC with dct. Should something come up where I consider bikes with a manual transmission the Yamaha would be something I certainly consider.

My first was a Royal Enfield bullet 500. 30 horsepower only. Top speed 75 mph, but honestly I think the NC is a better beginner bike. You really will have a hard time getting into too much trouble with it. I do recommend either a mid set or rear set controls for a beginner bike. The further you’re leaned forward the more control you have (but the less comfy it tends to be for long rides)
Rabbitt I have to admit that moving the set controls was something that I didn't consider/don't know much about doing so. Because I anticipate "evolving" like most starting noobies as I move from commuting to highway to interstate I assume that moving controls might be a consideration I will make at some point.

My NC was my first bike. At 6 years in I wouldn't change it. If I were going to advise another person I would recommend a bike based on what their intended use was. For example, if a person wanted to go fast I would recommend something with sport egos. Nothing with a ton of horse power but something leaned over the tank. Similar the feet forward position of a cruiser it would be something different. I think the NC does a decent job with the middle ground. Upright riding position, on board storage, fuel economy, reliability which still make it practical for a commuter like me.
Thanks potter0o, especially for your insight as a person who chose the NC as a first bike. In some fashion I think I made many of the considerations you bring up. As a new rider I feel that my getting comfortable with the bike and riding first locally, then at highway speed and later interstate is my intention. I envision that the capabilities of the NC will allow me to do so and during the time will find what works for me, and what I might want to change on my personal preferences.

I think the NC750X is a great first bike. Although it weighs about 500 lbs the low center of gravity makes it feel like a much lighter bike. It is modestly powered and has good predictable handling characteristics. It will do most everything a novice or seasoned rider will ask of it. This bike seems to appeal to both new riders and to more seasoned riders that appreciate it's do-it-all qualities. Cheap (relatively) to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to operate and it is easy maintain. I'm talking myself into a third one here.

Can't think of a better beginner bike, especially for someone of your size. I am about the same size and you will find the NC to be easily manageable in all aspects. You won't regret choosing an NC. And even on the pre-2021 models, you wouldn't have an issue flat footing those either, and finding an earlier model would save you some money too! Good luck!

My NC700X manual is my first motorcycle. Went from BMX bikes to the NC as far as two-wheeled transportation goes. Mine had lowering links and Rox bar risers installed by the previous owner so it's almost at the perfect height for me now and I'm 5'8. I can't flat foot it on both feet, but it's not far off. At 6' I'd imagine you should be able to flat foot it at the stock height. If you're looking at a brand new 2021, they are already lower than the 2012-2020s.

So far, I've found the NC to be very easy to learn on and extremely forgiving. I don't find low speed maneuvering particularly challenging, and I LOVE the frunk. When it comes to a daily commuter bike that is a killer feature. The power is plenty adequate for a first bike without being too much or being too boring.

That being said, are you absolutely married to having a DCT? A lot of slow speed maneuvering is made more difficult with no clutch to feather and this may be an impediment for a new rider.

Thanks potter0o, especially for your insight as a person who chose the NC as a first bike. In some fashion I think I made many of the considerations you bring up. As a new rider I feel that my getting comfortable with the bike and riding first locally, then at highway speed and later interstate is my intention. I envision that the capabilities of the NC will allow me to do so and during the time will find what works for me, and what I might want to change on my personal preferences.
Your process sounds good. My only other recommendation would be after you get some experience and everything seems easy, take an advanced rider course. Invest in the rider...

Happy hunting :)

The bike is a good starter, no issue there. My only concern is with DCT in low speed manoeuvring as mentioned above. Sure it is good to use the rear brake to steady things up and in my case with the brake on the handlebar that is much easier. However it is not always easy to get a foot to the rear brake in hairpin junction stop/start scenarios where there are steep slopes involved. This is an issue that I have heard some very experienced riders echo. Perhaps later versions of the DCT system are better at this but it is still something to be aware of for a new rider.

Define low-speed?

I don't get the low speed maneuvering issue at all. I've never had an issue whatsoever. I suppose I could see it MAYBE being an issue for certain offroad scenarios, but on pavement, or any other type of hard surface, I can't see how this is an issue at all. You let off the throttle, the bike doesn't keep going.....need to slow down, use front or rear brake just as you would with something with a clutch and foot shifter. I've been in congested parking lots, people's driveways, congested downtown city traffic, stop-and-go traffic on the interstate, etc. Not one time have I thought "man I wish I had a clutch to feather."

Back