• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC750x dct a good beginners bike?

Spanakis, thanks for sharing your thoughts on your new NC as well as offering me luck. I am learning much from dduelin moderating the thread of new owners comments on their new ride and certainly count your thoughts among the most thought provoking. Unfortunately I don't have the previous experience to measure the evolving components of the 2021 NC. Still please accept my sincere thanks for your comments.
Thanks for but I'm no moderator. I just live here.....

No worries. I took no offense and don't worry - we all members of a community and I value your presence and input.
Thank you for your kindness in saying so. And for the sharing of your knowledge and experiences throughout. I didn't think you took offense but thanks for your comments just the same

I took a very long break form riding and the NC700X DCT was my return to riding bike. Had four bikes since and now am probably getting an NC750X again. With my limited perspective and experience I would say that you cannot go wrong with this bike with DCT. I don't know that I necessarily agree that slow speed control is difficult or challenging with DCT on this bike. It is different for sure, but many strategies have been posted for you to consider. I spent a boat load of time in a parking lot running drills with steadily decreasing margins. So big wide uturns to small tight uturns, for example. Never dropped the bike once. I did the same thing with my VFR1200X DCT and dropped it the first week on a left from stop. I think it was Dduellin who said that you can choose to master the bike or have it master you. I chose the former and worked with it until I could do what i wanted with my DCT bikes. Every bike is different, and each will take some adjusting and disciplined training regimen IMO. Not disagreeing with anyone's position, just my opinion.

As a noobie looking to buy my first bike I anticipate it to be the 2021 NC750x dct. I am attracted by the dct transmission, description of street/highway characteristics, abs, and being 6 foot tall/200 lbs believe that I will be able to flatfoot the bike with the lowering of the seat without problems, comparative maintenance schedule and expected quality of a Honda and therefore longevity of the motorcycle. From what I have read from many invaluable posts in this forum that I realize that nothing is perfect and I am comfortable with the fact that I will be able to address the things I wish to change for my own personal preferences. To the extent it is possible I hope not to buy a lesser cc bike and then "work" my way up but will if that is the best option to pursue.

That assessment will start once I have the opportunity to test some of my assumptions at the dealership. But before I have the chance to begin I think it is probably a good time to ask the more experienced riders in this forum (essentially everyone):

1. Is the nc750x dct a good beginners bike? Why or why not?

2. What other bikes should I consider. if any? Why?

Thanks in advance.
I am 69 years old and had loads of big bikes. Liked the idea of the DCT and fancied a newer, slightly smaller engined bike. The NC750X DCT is, on balance, the best bike I have ever owned. Light (compared with most) easy to ride, great handling, economical, and great fun if you ride in in manual mode! It is quick too. I am sure you would love it!

I've been riding on the street for 56 years, 32 motorcycles, approx 800,000 miles and I can't imagine a better beginners bike if you are tall enough to not make it intimidating. Without have a preconceived idea of when the transmission SHOULD shift, you won't be burdened by thinking it's doing it wrong. It's fast enough but not too fast, it handles well, it has decent brakes, and it has Honda reliability behind a 10 year design, and you won't quickly out grow it.

Last edited:
I am 69 years old and had loads of big bikes. Liked the idea of the DCT and fancied a newer, slightly smaller engined bike. The NC750X DCT is, on balance, the best bike I have ever owned. Light (compared with most) easy to ride, great handling, economical, and great fun if you ride in in manual mode! It is quick too. I am sure you would love it!
Chris I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences on the NC dct. It is very helpful to me.

When I started riding in 1965 we started on small bikes and moved up incrementally. My first street bike was an Italian 50cc bike. Then a series of Japanese bikes 160cc, 305cc, 350cc, 450cc, 650cc, 750cc, 850cc, 1000cc, 1300cc. The belief was as you gained experience you could move up and get used to more power. I think the feeling now is any reasonably sized bike is ok to start out on as long as you get some proper rider training.

When I started riding in 1965 we started on small bikes and moved up incrementally. My first street bike was an Italian 50cc bike. Then a series of Japanese bikes 160cc, 305cc, 350cc, 450cc, 650cc, 750cc, 850cc, 1000cc, 1300cc. The belief was as you gained experience you could move up and get used to more power. I think the feeling now is any reasonably sized bike is ok to start out on as long as you get some proper rider training.
I'm 5 years behind you and agree we started out on small bore bikes, typically 100cc or less and a "big" bike to me in 1970 was a 350-750cc. The "Asian Invasion" of motorcycles was at hand and the British still regarded Japanese bikes as not a threat. However, for most of us traffic in our hometowns was different and life moved at a different pace. Cell phones were still 25 years away and most families owned one car. Now too many people are digitally engaged while driving and traffic is exponentially worse. Manufacturers don't have 50cc to 1000cc stair-step bikes anymore and 650-750cc is regarded as a small bike.

I agree dduelin. Traffic pace was much slower then, and there wasn't nearly the numbers of vehicles on the roads either. Of course they were just beginning to get power steering and disc brakes ON CARS. Power steering allowed people to take at least one hand off the 23" diameter steering wheels ha ha. Heck the National Speed Limit on freeways was 55 mph. It's only 65 where I live now lol.

I am a new rider. And my 2021 in DCT is my first bike. Had to ride the bike 20+ miles to get it home. City traffic and then some twisties.

DCT allowed you to focus on the environment and safety rather than worrying about the embarrassment/danger of stalling it. The seat height let my 5'10" flat foot it. And by the end of my first ride I was doing left foot down.

Do your MSF that is important if you haven't done so. Understand and appreciate the clutch on the training bikes. As the DCT has some quirks due to its automatic nature. Dead stop hill starts for the inexperienced are a problem. Ask me how I know :)

Cheers,
/et

I am 40, and I just got my first bike last month. A 2020 NC750X manual. I took the course (mandatory in Quebec, Canada) which is 16 hours in the parking lot + 10 hours on the road. Did my last course on a sunday, had my exam on the next monday morning and took possesion of my new bike the same afternoon.
The dealer was 85km away from home. I jumped on the bike and headed home. Highway speeds, dead stopped traffic, country roads, everything.

It's been just over a month now and I already have 3500km on the counter.

The NC is a good beginner bike and is much more also! I enjoy it every km I put on it!

I enjoyed reading everyones stories so Ill share mine :) Im an early 60's guy who transitioned from a Vespa GTS250IE (yes, a scooter) to a 2020 NC250XD. A couple of months ago I brought my scooter wheels into my father in laws shop (he runs the service department at a local powersports dealership) to have him put on new tires. I walked the floor, fell in love with the adventure lineup but wouldn't dare spend that kind of money. 7 days later I found a 2020 NC250XD with 3,400 miles on Craigslist. I bought it on the spot and drove it home. Ive put a > 1,000 miles on it now and have pretty much abandoned my car.

As a newbie with little experience Ill comment that the bike is perfect for me but I had two hurdles to get over.
1) Im short so tip toeing around was disconcerting until I lowered it (7/8" front and back). (thank you drdubb)
2) Its heavy. I was intimitaded in the parking lot but have quickly gotten over it. The lowering helped.

Finally, my father in-law has run the service department at his shop for 25 years. He has owned many bikes. He is a former racer. He thought I should have gotten a more traditional street bike but Im not him and I have no interest winning a race down the mountain. I grocery shop, run errands, visit friends, ride up and down the coast daily(Im in Santa Cruz CA). I live in a rural area with a long gravel driveway and sling gravel just for the fun of it. I test my ABS and traction control on the gravel and just have a ball leaving the house. If you get one your going to love it!

P.S. I sold the Vespa for $100 less than I paid for it after owing it 4 years and putting ~4K miles on it :)

As stated, the NC’s are pretty good bikes, carry their weight low. The are heavy for a newbie (at 500 lbs or so) but are very well balanced. I’d second the recommendation that you trailer the new bike home (unless you find one from a dealer in the toolies) . A new bike and a new rider mean their are a LOT of things to learn, most best learned far away from traffic. A nice big empty parking lot can teach you a lot about your bike and what YOU can do with it. Stay out of dense traffic areas until you KNOW your abilities and your bikes capabilities, ride your own ride and don’t worry about keeping up with the other guy. Finally, wear the best gear you can afford, and wear it all every ride (lid, boots, Mc jacket, Mc pants, and good leather gloves . It will at times be (1) hot and (2) uncomfortable. That’s ok. It’s a lot more comfortable than road rash. Think you don’t need gear? Take a run down your street, trip yourself and see how scratched up you get. No imagine adding speed to that. Read Brittany Morrow’s story in the August issue of American Motorcyclist. If you still don’t think you need gear, you probably should just buy a Harley and dress up like a pirate. Seriously though. Take it easy, safety first. Stay away from the front brake during low speed maneauvers (or you’ll get to practice picking up your bike). Most newbies will drop their new bike a time or two before they learn what they’re doing. For that reason alone a cheap, used bike is often the best “learner” bike.

I learned to ride long before rider training classes (at least in my part of the country), so I acknowledge things _COULD_ be different if a person takes a Basic Rider Course on one of the school’s loaner 125s or 250s. That said…

I think the NCX is too heavy and too tall for an across-the-board true beginner. A mature (confident, without being over-confident) adult could certainly begin on one, and be completely successful, but that’s not quite the same thing.

The best thing for a beginner is much lighter than 500 lbs, and not quite so tall. A light 80 - 250cc bike is a far better choice.

Again, a mature adult, particularly a taller one, can certainly begin on the NCX and succeed. It’s just not the best ‘beginner’ bike out there.

As a noobie looking to buy my first bike I anticipate it to be the 2021 NC750x dct. I am attracted by the dct transmission, description of street/highway characteristics, abs, and being 6 foot tall/200 lbs believe that I will be able to flatfoot the bike with the lowering of the seat without problems, comparative maintenance schedule and expected quality of a Honda and therefore longevity of the motorcycle. From what I have read from many invaluable posts in this forum that I realize that nothing is perfect and I am comfortable with the fact that I will be able to address the things I wish to change for my own personal preferences. To the extent it is possible I hope not to buy a lesser cc bike and then "work" my way up but will if that is the best option to pursue.

That assessment will start once I have the opportunity to test some of my assumptions at the dealership. But before I have the chance to begin I think it is probably a good time to ask the more experienced riders in this forum (essentially everyone):

1. Is the nc750x dct a good beginners bike? Why or why not?

2. What other bikes should I consider. if any? Why?

Thanks in advance.
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their valuable input and sharing of their experiences. They were/are all invaluable in my consideration(s).
I thought I would post in reply to my original posting and let everyone know that recently I purchased my 2021 Honda NC750xd. It was the culmination of my search that began in March of 2021, and long the way I looked at numerous NC700/NC750xd. I was just about to buy a 2018xd when I got a call from a dealership asking if I was still searching for one, and I purchased it.
Prior to purchasing the 2021 I had passed my MSC, as many of you had suggested. I have to say that the first time sitting on the bike I felt like it fit like a glove. At 6 foot tall and 210 lbs I find it easy to flat foot it. As many have suggested I have taken it easy, first riding slowly around the area, getting my feel for it overall in the local large parking lots. I find that maneuvering it at slow speed is easier than other bikes I have tried, especially with ride by wire. The throttle is responsive and the traction control has helped me be confident with turning (but not overly so). I cannot overstate how much I am enjoying riding the NC.
Again my sincere thanks to everyone who took the time out of their busy life to share their knowledge and experience to this noobie.

Attachments

• BklynBoy 2021 NC750xd.jpg
    BklynBoy 2021 NC750xd.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Back