• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Is there any reason to reset the DCT when purchasing a used DCT bike even if there's no issues?

16DCT

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a used 2016 NC700X DCT with what some would consider "high mileage" of 47,000 miles. The bike has given me no issues whatsoever, so I never bothered to reset the DCT despite hearing that some people reset it when buying used. The previous owner told me the DCT has never given him any issues either and has not needed to be reset even once. So I just left it alone.

I have heard from others that some people reset the DCT because it has a sort of "learning feature" that may fine tune it more to your riding style over time. Is this a myth or is it true?

The "learning feature" is often misunderstood or imagined to be something that it is not. The motorcycle does not learn the owner's riding style. If you think about it, how could it? The DCT program is in control of the shift points, not the rider.

"Resetting the DCT", as I understand it, is a clutch engagement calibration to be done when the clutch pack is replaced or otherwise not functioning properly.

The "learning feature" is often misunderstood or imagined to be something that it is not. The motorcycle does not learn the owner's riding style. If you think about it, how could it? The DCT program is in control of the shift points, not the rider.

"Resetting the DCT", as I understand it, is a clutch engagement calibration to be done when the clutch pack is replaced or otherwise not functioning properly.
Ah okay then. Curiosity was getting the best of me, but since I don't have any issues to report I guess there's no reason to reset mine then.
Thanks!

For a long time I poo-pooed the need to do a clutch re-initialization unless a clutch pack was replaced or a DCT related diagnostic code came on indicating the procedure was required to restore normal operation. At some point, maybe 30,000 miles into ownership of my 2015 DCT I performed the procedure out of curiosity and was surprised that low speed shifting and downshifting was quieter and incrementally smoother. Since it takes but a minute and requires no special tools or skills I suggest you try it and see. Nothing to lose.

As someone with ~49,500 miles, all but 8 are my own, you do not have a high mileage bike. It's just getting broken-in.

There's someone on this very forum who has topped 300,000km/186,000 miles with no signs of stopping.

I occasionally reset mine if the shifting in the lower gears is getting a little abrupt. That usually serves to settle it. On one occasion early in ownership I felt a slight drag at tickover in gear. Again a reset seemed to alleviate that aspect.

Thanks for the responses. So there's no harm in resetting it even if you aren't doing a clutch pack replacement or dealing with any issues? I'd like to try it out just to see what it feels like and how it reacts when it's reset.

I would be curious if you can feel a difference after a 'reset'. I assume this would apply in full auto mode, only.

Around these WV hills I paddle shift only; the auto feature lugs the engine much more than I prefer.
I read somewhere of this DCT 'learning' feature but if it ain't broke don't 'fix' it.
I feel like a pro with the shifting smoothness of this bike.

Just out of curiosity I went ahead and did the DCT reset on the '16 NC700X after a short ride (engine/oil must be up to temperature or it won't work). Very easy process. I used this youtube video for reference:

I'll be heading out for a ride shortly so I'll see how it goes. I don't suspect much of a change since there were no issues prior but we'll see.

Just out of curiosity I went ahead and did the DCT reset on the '16 NC700X after a short ride (engine/oil must be up to temperature or it won't work). Very easy process. I used this youtube video for reference:

I'll be heading out for a ride shortly so I'll see how it goes. I don't suspect much of a change since there were no issues prior but we'll see.
Two minutes into that video I just shook my head and shut it off. People are so gullible when it comes to the DCT “learning mode.”

Two minutes into that video I just shook my head and shut it off. People are so gullible when it comes to the DCT “learning mode.”
Yeah there's a lot of misinfo out there. I've always been skeptical when people told me that it "learns" based on your throttle and brake inputs. But otherwise the instructions on how to do the reset on the '16 model in this video is solid.

I wasn't able to go for a ride last night but I think I'll have some time tonight.

Just came back from a solid 3 hour ride. The shifting from 1st to 2nd feels like it might be smoother now, and everything else pretty much stayed the same. Smooth as butter. All in all it was very easy to do, so if you are curious like I was then it's no biggie if you want to try it.

I didn’t read the technical details, but my impression is that the DCT clutch calibration seems to be sort of like adjusting your clutch cable on a manual and fine tuning the engagement point.

"...Around these WV hills I paddle shift only; the auto feature lugs the engine much more than I prefer...ST13 Fred"

It's probably our perception of being "lugged" because the engine doesn't seem to mind at all. :)

For a long time I poo-pooed the need to do a clutch re-initialization unless a clutch pack was replaced or a DCT related diagnostic code came on indicating the procedure was required to restore normal operation. At some point, maybe 30,000 miles into ownership of my 2015 DCT I performed the procedure out of curiosity and was surprised that low speed shifting and downshifting was quieter and incrementally smoother. Since it takes but a minute and requires no special tools or skills I suggest you try it and see. Nothing to lose.
HI Dave,
I know it's somewhere there, but I can't find it: what's the procedure of the re-initialization for 2013 NC?

Thanks

Afan, that procedure posted is for the pre '16 model years.
If yours is a '16 or newer, you must hold the throttle wide open while doing the D-D-N-D-N sequence.

In the meantime I found this too

:D

Back