• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Isle of Man On Bike Lap - Michael Dunlop

I was there last June & in spite of the "High Risk" it is one of the Oldest & most Respected race on the Planet!! Real live Street racing on Two Lane Blacktop over a 37 mile course!! The fastest riders (Dunlop, McGuiness, Martin, , etc) cover the 37 miles in just over 17 minutes at speeds approaching 132 mph!!

The TT is over 100 years old & a great part of the Islands economy!! It's a Beautiful place worth a visit anytime but a MECA during TT week!!

ALL the riders know of & accept the risks!!

Just Saying!! :)

View attachment 14466
To race the "Isle of Man" you have to have a death wish. By far the world's most dangerous motorcycle race.

Ahhhh....the Isle of Man:

Turn the sound up for this 30 second clip - flat out and astounding...

[video=youtube;N2rg8VcYHUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rg8VcYHUE[/video]

For those who don't know, , , Michael Dunlop & his Brother William are the sons of Robert Dunlop!! Robert Dunlop was the brother of the more famous Joey Dunlop & all are from Ballymoney (sp) Northern Ireland!! Joey is the all time leader of TT wins with 26 Trophies!! Robert was also a MC racer & was arguably as fast as his brother!! Joey & Robert lost their lives in separate events years ago!! Michael is continuing the Dunlop Legend with 7 TT trophies now, , , at only 25 years of age!! His brother William is very fast but not on the same level as Michael!!

Some of our members from Europe & UK may have some corrections of my aging memory & maybe some additional information!!

Check out this lap turned by Michael Dunlop's uncle Joey in 1983. This is my fav TT video for three reasons. First of all, Joey Dunlop was not only a great racer but also a great human being. He used to show up at road races with his and his mates vans full of donated food, clothing, and other items for disadvantaged kids. Second, he narrates it and the other part II and III video. His comments on the bike and the corners of the TT are worth translating into "English". Finally, the sound of his V4. My 1300 is far removed from the Honda 850RSR but the bloodline of the 1300's V4 is direct and they sound similar in the midrange. I love listening to Joey and his bike.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCYy3gXBIw

My brain can't compute the bends at half the speed these chaps travel.. It's quite scary stuff. I am happy to say I've been to the TT 3 times, but I now work for the ferry company that ferries all the race teams and spectators over to the Isle of Man. As it's our busiest time of year, no annual leave is allowed during this period so it'll be a very long time before I'll ever be able to see it again.

I've been twice (2011 & 2013) & am planning to go again in 2015!! I start planning shortly after the week is done because Rooms, , , Transportation around the Island & travel into & off the island can be an issue!! I've Flown in the two times I've been but have considered the Ferry when flights were scarce!! Last June I flew in from Dublin & in 2011 from UK!! I'll probably fly in from Dublin again in 2015 because I'm doing some family research in Ireland!!

My brain can't compute the bends at half the speed these chaps travel.. It's quite scary stuff. I am happy to say I've been to the TT 3 times, but I now work for the ferry company that ferries all the race teams and spectators over to the Isle of Man. As it's our busiest time of year, no annual leave is allowed during this period so it'll be a very long time before I'll ever be able to see it again.

For those who may not know Honda's Motorcycle Heritage, , , the plaque pictured below is on the Grandstands at the Start/Finish of the TT in Douglass, IOM!!

image.jpg

The first motorcycle full length movie ever made staring George Formby "No Limit" in 1935, was about racing in the Isle of Man.

This is still one of my favorite movies.

Ukulele George also sang the first motorcycle song I know of, "Racing in the TT Races" in that movie.

Speed Demon will live forever!

[video=youtube;L8YA4_XX3T8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YA4_XX3T8[/video]

SmileyUkulele.jpg

Last edited:
This is a good one too. It has more detail.

[video=youtube_share;j7HlrI1COSs]http://youtu.be/j7HlrI1COSs[/video]

The way they take the turns on one wheel is amazing.I would love to ride one of those bikes just one time.

You're absolutely right & I "Stand Corrected" :)

I was in the Grandstands for the "Senior" race last Summer!! They pass the stands & enter Bray hill at speeds approaching & above 170 mph!! The sound is one of the best for a Motörhead & Race Fan!!

Oh, , , Senior doesn't mean the "Old Fart Race", , :), , it's the Premier race of the week, , , , the one all of the Racers want to win!! Full Factory Superbikes!!

Just to clarify, the AVERAGE lap speed is 132mph - they regularly exceed 200mph on some sections - I get nervous just watching them...:eek:

Back