• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

It's probably time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I haven't paid any attention to to what you could get for a used NC, but if Jamesd only paid 5500 to a dealer I would imagine the dealer had less than 5000 in the bike (possibly as little as 4500). The point I'm trying to make is that a dealer has to make a profit to stay in business and they have to factor in their cost as well as how long it may sit on the floor before they sell it. At any rate, while selling to a dealer is an easy way to get out from under a vehicle it is usually going to get you the least amount of money.
The last time I sold a bike, I took it to my dealer and had them sell it for me on consignment. Since I'm the worlds worst salesman, I didn't want to go through the Craigslist or Cycle Trader advertising and private sale hassles. Even after the dealer subtracted his fee for handling the sale, I got quite a bit more than if I had tried to sell it on my own. In my case I was working with a dealer who I had bought a lot of bikes from over the years and told them I didn't need to sell the bike immediately, so they could take their time and get as high a price as possible rather than accepting the first offer. It did take them over a month to sell it, but I ended up getting more than I thought I would.
At any rate, if you can find a dealer willing to sell the bike on consignment, I'd suggest trying that route.
Sorry to see you go, but I hope it all works out for you.

Bob

Strat,
One other thing you may want to consider is how you want to configure the bike. Most prospective buyers want a bike just like that new one at the dealer, but for less money. Sometimes it's easier to sell without modifications. In other words something like a Fenda Extenda might look good to them but a large windshield could actually be a negative if they don't think it's as stylish as the stock one that they saw on the new bike at the dealer. Something like the shock guard, while effective, can look to a buyer like a homemade hunk of plastic zip tied to the bike. At any rate, my free advice (which is probably worth a little less than you paid for it), is to return the bike as much as possible to its showroom stock condition, do a full wash and wax detail, box up any mods and or spare parts and support items (like the swing arm stand for example), and either tell buyers you will include the extras in the sale price, or try to sell them separately.

Ditto what Spaceteach said. When I sold my last bike, I returned it to stock to appeal to more buyers, then sold the mods on eBay for more money. A bike buyer won't likely give you any more for the mods you have installed. and as Bob said, it may actually devalue the bike. Personally, when I shop for a used bike, most mods are a real turn-off.

And has already been stated, a dealer will give you bottom dollar wholesale value. Although it would be painless, there would probably be no worse way to unload it if you want any money. When buying brand new and selling a year later, you will probably lose half of what you have in it, considering depreciation, sales tax, title, maintenance, replacing consumable parts, etc. All is not lost however, since you had a fun toy to use for a year.

Greg

Last edited:
Its amazing how toys loose value so quickly.

True. Their value to others drops, but their value to me doesn't change. The cheapest toy to have is the one you already own.

Greg

Strat,
Sorry you are are compelled to sell your NC; you've been a valuable contributor. I admire your determination and conviction to do what you have to do.

fwiw, if you happened to have bought the extended warranty, you can cancel it and get a refund; or at least make sure that is accounted for in the value of the bike.

The dealer made me take off all my farkles when I traded in my Vstrom for the NC.They then gave me top dollar trade in and I sold the farkles for another $800.
Around here your NC would be worth about $4,500 which means the dealer would give you around$2,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize now this is a hobby beyond what I can afford.

Just to look at this from another angle, have you considered eliminating the "hobby" part of the equation instead of the motorcycle part?

I realized that between my car and old motorcycle, I was spending way too much on insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. So I made a bold move and sold both. I took the cash and bought the NC outright (stuck the rest in savings) and now it's my only motorized transportation. I realize this won't work for everyone, but with added storage and the right gear it's less of a sacrifice that you might think.

Just my $0.02

(And probably me trying to justify my crazy decision)

The dealer made me take off all my farkles when I traded in my Vstrom for the NC.They then gave me top dollar trade in and I sold the farkles for another $800.
Around here your NC would be worth about $4,500 which means the dealer would give you around$2,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are sayin that the dealer's profit margin on this bike will be 2K? you gotta be kidding...they dont' have this much on 20K cars, man...

12,000miles?
I am going to say it will be like 40% off your buying price.
All of us will have to live with such selling prices.
Sorry to read that you are giving up this hobby or bike.

It is the cheapest bike I ever had to run.
But then it's just me.

Good luck on your next toy.
:D

12,000miles?
I am going to say it will be like 40% off your buying price.
All of us will have to live with such selling prices.
Sorry to read that you are giving up this hobby or bike.

It is the cheapest bike I ever had to run.
But then it's just me.

Good luck on your next toy.
:D

i sold my 2007 CBR600RR this spring for $5800. bought it for $4800(imo-too much,because of a couple dumb bidders)off gvt auction in 2011(or 10?). changed oil and both tires and i was riding on it for 2 years. the key imo is to wait for right buyer(and the right time(specially for a bike)).i sold on craiglist everything..from old books and rusty dumbbells to this CBR. you have to be patient when selling the bike. you have no idea how many folks and offers i've seen on that CBR.it could be a great experience and fun(assuming that the seller is not desperate to sell).

Sorry to see you go. Like other posters have said, returning it as much as possible to OEM condition is you best bet. From my personal experience, when I was selling my Bonneville there where several others in the area on craigs list. I ended up selling mine before the others, as it was mostly stock, except for the rentec crash bars. Several of the people who looked at my bike stated that they had seen the other ones, but where put off by this ones aftermarket pipes or that ones after market windscreen etc. You may want to park it and wait till spring, going into the fall is not a great time to sell a bike, although this may not hold true in California.

Just to look at this from another angle, have you considered eliminating the "hobby" part of the equation instead of the motorcycle part?

I realized that between my car and old motorcycle, I was spending way too much on insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. So I made a bold move and sold both. I took the cash and bought the NC outright (stuck the rest in savings) and now it's my only motorized transportation. I realize this won't work for everyone, but with added storage and the right gear it's less of a sacrifice that you might think.

That's pretty close to what I did when I got back on two wheels after a quarter century gap. The expenses for my paid-for car were minimal, but they still added up each month. We have mandatory inspection every couple of years here and I was looking at about $600 or $700 expense for that several months after I bought my bike. The inspection was due in a February, late in the month, the car had zero resale value, and was costing me for parking and insurance regardless of whether I drove it or not. I decided to see if I could stick it out using only the motorcycle for everything, including commuting to work at two or three a.m. on cold winter mornings. (We get down to about -8C/17F here). If I could make it through most of the winter, then when the car inspection came up I would just send it to the junkyard and be done with the expense. For anything just absolutely requiring four wheels, there was my wife's car which could be pressed into service.

I found that I could tough it out through the winter, through the rain, through the heat, the typhoons, etc....so the car went to the junkyard and the bike quit being my "toy" or "luxury item" and became just my regular transportation.

Dang. For those of us (well, for sure me, anyway) who see your on-line persona, seems like a rather quick decision. Was just over two weeks ago you started a thread about planning your route for joining the Iron Butt Association and talking about doing some short warm up rides.

Suppose a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do but maybe give the decision a little more time to percolate before pulling the trigger. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back