• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

its the little things.....

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm going to be the good son and run out to see my aging parents this weekend. Since they live out in the country, its always at least a half day to visit. I figure I'll change the NC's oil while I'm out there I only have 6,000 miles on the oil but haven't quite wrapped my head around an 8k oil change yet.
I stop at the local dealer and visit awhile and pick up the filter and oil ( btw- the dealer filter cost less than the
Bosch D3323 I bought at Walmart) and head out to mom and pops.
I get out there and do the change. Start it up to make sure there are no leaks. While I let it run, I log in my (duh) log book the mileage and type oil . I take a look for leaks and the oil ALL on the ground!
I have to put this in here. I've changed my oil in every vehicle I've owned since I was 16 years old (59 now). This is the first time I left the old oil filter seal on the block. This is first time I ever had a leak and this was pouring out!
Did I mention my folks live in the country? Did I mention the nearest Wally world is 25 miles away? Did I mention this was the weekend and you can't just go to any place and get motorcycle oil? Did I mention 1 qt. Castro Acteeva 10-40w , 2 qt.s Quicksilver 20-50w and .4 qt.s Honda 10-40w is now living in the NC? Did I mention the temp went from 74f to 29f ? Did I mention I can turn a 45 minute job into a 3 1/2 hour job? Did I mention I'm a dork?

I have bathroom heater in front of the engine right now to warm it up. I will get the right oil today.
So, all that to say if you think two is better than one, it isn't when it comes oil filter seals. If your block isn't silver when you take off the filter, make sure its not the old seal stuck to the block!

On the bright side, at least you confirmed that the oil pump is healthy.

Honda called for 8000 mile oil changes on the GL1800 14 years ago. 14 years ago :eek:. I'm surprised the NC is not at 12,000 or 16,000 mile intervals by now.

Last edited:
29F in Louisiana? :eek: Who knew!

I think it only got into the minus numbers up here a few times this year, and this weekend, it was 39F for the low...

My parents are fine. My mom is the one I like to keep an eye on. It's like her batteries are running down. She's getting weaker as time goes on. My dad drove me to the walmart. He's in great shape for almost 82. Hauls wood everyday for his fireplace to keep mom warm.Thanks for asking pahondafan.

On another note, there's a noticeable difference in how much smoother the transmission changes gears with this oil in.

PLUS- one question. I found Lucas racing oil (motorcycle, of course). Does anyone have experience with it? Will it last for the 8,000 miles?

This is the first time I left the old oil filter seal on the block.

I feel your pain.

Years ago I left the filter seal on the 1.5 liter block of my sons' 83 Civic. Problem was, it didn't leak until days later and threw a rod threw the block. Lesson learned the hard way.
I was in a hurry and did not wipe the area down as I always do and it bit me, big time. Haste makes waste........never truer.

I changed the oil in my Honda powered pressure washer last summer and started putting oil in before putting the drain plug back on! Doing things like that is having me tell myself, 'slow down a little more'!

The upside to your story is you'll never make that mistake again. Good luck.

I always inspect and wipe off the filter mounting surface to sure it's free of dirt. I think with that habit, leaving the old gasket on and not noticing would be nearly impossible.

Let anyone who has not made some kind of a "Doh!" repair, upgrade or maintenance mistake cast the first stone. Glad you found out sooner rather than later which could have made the situation much worse.

Several years ago I saw a video about the best motorcycles in the world. Number one was the Honda Cub. During the story, they drained the oil and refilled the crankcase with used cooking oil in an attempt to destroy the little engine. It didn't work. They eventually dropped it off a building. Darn thing started right up and rode off.

Not knowing whether or not Honda has engineered that same "never say die" attitude into its modern motorcycles, I can't say anything about the long-term effects of running a petroleum cocktail. But if I was a betting man, I'd say you'll be fine until you can get it changed.

One of many Doh moments........ I drain the engine oil out of the ST1300 with the bike on the center stand mainly because the oil pan I use won't fit under the drain with the bike on the side stand. One time I forgot to move the full of hot oil pan out of the way and pushed the bike off the center stand. The bike came down on the edge of the pan and flipped the pan and oil up into the air drenching me, the bike, the floor. Very messy.

I always inspect and wipe off the filter mounting surface to sure it's free of dirt. I think with that habit, leaving the old gasket on and not noticing would be nearly impossible.

Me too! Trouble was, I thought it (old gasket) was a hard piece of plastic that was inset in the block. I wiped it clean and....well, you know the rest!
I think if my eyes were as good as they used to be, I would have noticed it was ON the block not IN the block.
Nearly impossible, yes. Impossible, no, and I proved that!

I am bringing this back up to report on my oil change.
I rode around a few days with the mish mash of oil in the engine. With the 20-50 the engine was a lot quieter and shifted a LOT smoother. But it's winter and I don't think it wise to
run that oil in it (not to mention it's not what the factory recommends).

I bought some Lucas 10-30 Motorcycle Racing oil. The bike runs and shifts as smooth, if not smoother than with the heavy oil in.
The Lucas was $10 qt. , which I don't mind. With an 8,000 mile change (and not paying someone else to change it) that's some pretty inexpensive lube.
Has anyone else ever used Lucas oil?

This is somewhat unsolicited advice, but you should just go buy the cheapest oil that meets the specs called for in the NC700 service manual, then relax and go ride the motorcycle for 8000 miles. It's an under stressed engine that will work fine for a long, long time. To each his own, but I believe you're way over thinking this.

Uh-oh. I may have contributed to an oil thread . . . :eek:

Last edited:
Back