• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Jumping out of gear

Des

Reaction score
Visit site
After initial pull away with a cold engine/gearbox, I experience jumping out of gear 2nd gear when decelerating towards the first stop sign down my road. It is accompanied by a very audible clunking sound. Any ideas on the cause and correction?

What mileage is on the bike ? Does it happen any other time on your journeys ? Is it only a recent occurrence ? Is your gear change lever adjusted for proper interaction with your boot, and lubricated properly on its shaft ? Is the Drive chain properly adjusted ?

If everything is properly adjusted then there is probably a selector fork issue or an issue on a related part. As all this is internal then usually the fix requires a strip down or a partial one.

From my own experience and from being on here for some time, gearbox problems are very unusual with this motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I've accidentally dropped from 3rd to 2nd by resting my toe on the lever before pulling in the clutch. It drops quite easily if you're at the right rpm. That said, Griff probably knows more about this stuff than I ever will. ;)

Jumping out of gear indicates that 2nd gear was never fully engaged. This can be due to several reasons: shifter drum doesn't fully rotate into proper position, problem with the shifter fork, dogs on the 6th gear not fully engaging in the slots on the 2nd gear slots (these are on the counter shaft). The good news is that it's jumping out of gear when not under load, so it's less likely that transmission parts are damaged. The first thing I would do is drain the oil and look for metal flecks or particles. Try using a magnet to find particles. Just changing the oil, and making sure the clutch is adjusted to fully disengage the clutch may fix it. FWIW, on my last oil change I used Rotella T6 (MA2 certified) and gear shifting became less notchy and smoother.

I have very little mechanical knowledge, and my nc is a dct.
However, I was recently riding my drz 400 in new, very stiff boots and just could not feel the shifter or brake, so I activated both occasionally without meaning to. Clutchless downshifts do not seem to require much force.

As was said, the likelihood is that 2nd is not fully engaged when this happens, or that you are putting a little pressure on the shifter without realizing it/meaning to. I've only had the NCX (or other bikes) come out of gear on me when I didn't have the gear fully engaged. _IF_ there's a mechanical or wear problem, Griff is right that it'll be a significant tear-down to get into it. It's not likely to be something like that, though.

When I changed my chain & sprockets, I tightened the chain too much and it was dropping into a false neutral. I loosened it and no issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back