• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just changed air filter, the critters were busy.... 2014 NC700X

andyFromWi

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though there are feet of snow in my yard in Northern WI, I have been getting the bike ready to ride.
As I'm changing out my air filter, this is what I found......

PXL_20230406_175221446.jpg

After a quick vacuum, the underside of the airbox was fine, just all the crud on top of the filter.
Just a reminder, that the varmints can be busy over the winter.....

-andy

Wow. If found a dozen whole acorns in my airbox the last time, but that there looks like they had a real feast. It’s interesting that what looks like nearly a whole oak leaf got in there.

They had a good time!
Funny thing, I took the bike out for a 10 mile (1st ride of the year, 30 degrees), absolutely know issues...
Yes, I always believed the NC air filter was way oversized for the engine and it would take significant debris in the filter to hurt performance.

Even though there are feet of snow in my yard in Northern WI, I have been getting the bike ready to ride.
As I'm changing out my air filter, this is what I found......

View attachment 51654

After a quick vacuum, the underside of the airbox was fine, just all the crud on top of the filter.
Just a reminder, that the varmints can be busy over the winter.....

-andy
Wiring insulation is soy based that rodents love eating. I keep the 1 pound cake poison in the house basement and farm equipment building.
Any new vehicle is more attractive to rodents as the wiring is still gassing off. I found a nest behind my new at the time tractor dash board but no wiring messed with.

I left my CRF300L unattended for a few weeks last spring with the handlebar muffs still on. When I eventually got around to riding it I started getting the very close attention of a Robin. Not unusual as they hang around me a lot in the garden hoping I will disturb some insects or the like, but this guy was also very vocal. I was still only getting the bike unlocked and ready to move from its berth outdoors. I couldn't figure out why the Robin was getting so fussed. When I eventually went to grab the handlebars it became obvious. The bird was well advanced with nest building inside one of the muffs. :oops:

That's pretty funny. When changing the air filter on my wife's mini and my CRV the air boxes looked just like this. We feed our little friends peanuts.

Since, as I mentioned, I have witnessed acorns being stored in my own NC’s airbox, the next time I have it apart I may consider installing a wire mesh over the air box’s intake, if that is possible. Comments in this thread made be think about this more seriously. I would almost have expected that to be part of Honda’s design.

Last edited:
Back