• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

K&N HA-7012 Air Filter

I'm asking for one of those on the upcoming 12K service. new brake pads front and back and that air filter. I read somewhere that the K&N air filter can be cleaned not just replaced.

I'm asking for one of those on the upcoming 12K service. new brake pads front and back and that air filter. I read somewhere that the K&N air filter can be cleaned not just replaced.

That is correct. You'll need to purchase some filter oil to spray on after cleaning and drying the K&N. I have nearly 150,000 on the K&N filter in my car.

I got caught in a bad dust storm on I-10 in New Mexico last month. This is the only dust storm if have ever got into in 55 years of riding, and I hope it was my last dust storm. Took a week of coughing to get my lungs clear again. However, I had a K&N air filter. So, I cleaned the air filter and the bike stopped coughing.2.jpg

smileyfear.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I use a K&N in my CB750, and in my silverado. Definately breathes better than a stock air filter. As mentioned, you will need to service it every now and then. Problem on our NC's from what I saw, is it requires removing a lot of stuff to get to it (time consuming). As far as any questions related to the performance, or to debunk any random theories see their FAQ:

K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Last edited:
Guys, keep in mind K&N filters let in more particles than normal. Many tests have been done and they significantly reduce engine life.

I use a K&N... it requires removing a lot of stuff to get to it (time consuming). As far as any questions related to the performance, or to debunk any random theories see their FAQ:

K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I need to take the time to look up where the air filter is in the service manual. I don't have a concept yet of where it is.

Mechanical people: is the NC easier/harder to work on than a standard v-twin?

I need to take the time to look up where the air filter is in the service manual. I don't have a concept yet of where it is.

Mechanical people: is the NC easier/harder to work on than a standard v-twin?

The air filter was a pain. It took some time to remove the necessary body work to access it. I did mine at 6k miles (I know I change my oil very early too), and I think it will be much faster the second time around.

Guys, keep in mind K&N filters let in more particles than normal. Many tests have been done and they significantly reduce engine life.

Feel free to show proof. I've never heard anything that would indicate the filters reduced engine life.

I had a K & N in my ST1300 and it warped which opened a 3/32" or so gap allowing partially unfiltered air into my engine for possibly 12,000 miles. I'll never trust a K & N again when clamped inside an airbox and not visible.

Just look at their advertising. When you increase airflow you’re reducing filtration. When you eating dust down a dirt road that means more sandpaper in the cylinder. Plus factor in a greater human error element (didn’t oil it right, seat it right etc.) that can increase that effect. My father owned his own eight bay auto shop until he retired. When engines were pulled and stripped for rebuilds, the cylinders that were in the worst shape for being honed seemed to come from the K&N filter runners. Could have been due to poor maintenance on the owners fault. However to each their own.

"And it's more than opinion, it's fact! Here is a copy of the venerable test report that presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Test and Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine). Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter)"image006.jpg

When you increase airflow you’re reducing filtration..

Nope. Increasing filter surface area will also increase flow. If somebody would care to compare the number of pleats (maybe even size & depth) on the Honda element vs the K&N maybe we can put this to bed.

I've used a K&N on my WR since I've owned it, with an open top air box, and it still runs like a champ after 7 years of abuse.

I'm still waiting for the facts showing that a K&N leads to shorter engine life. NOTHING you have provided shows that. You stated it as a fact. If you have no proof, then you should say its your opinion, not that there are numerous studies showing degraded engine life.

I'm still waiting for the facts showing that a K&N leads to shorter engine life. NOTHING you have provided shows that. You stated it as a fact. If you have no proof, then you should say its your opinion, not that there are numerous studies showing degraded engine life.

I showed it as a quote I pulled of a forum where someone did run tests. I did not say fact in my own words. I also said my experience could have been due to other reasons, and I also said to each their own. It does not really make a difference to me what you won’t to run in your machine, as it's your machine. I also won't respond to the discussion with you further.

Don't understand all the fuss. My son's 1929 Indian Scout has no air filter or gas filter and still runs after 84 years so why bother with any filter? Just do like my son on his Indian and add a quart of oil every 100 miles and you will be fine. ;)

I think I'll ask for the stock Honda filter... just to be safe.
Thanks for the heads up.

update November 2013:
I went with the K&N. The directions had me treat it with K&N air filter "oil" to help it trap particulates.
My mechanic also recommended it over anything else.

Last edited:
Back