• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Key code?

badgopher

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used 2015/16 (I forget) NC700X a few months ago. Only came with a single key, and it wasn't the one marked with the code.

Can I get a spare made, that will work for the engine, lock, fuel tank, cubby hole, and keyed saddle bags? I believe the answer is Nooooooooo.

In which case, how...do I get the code? Bought it from a dealer who was supposed to go through this but they're not returning my phone calls and I'm just tired of dealing with it. I was an idiot and didn't get it written into the contract, so no recourse.

More information is needed. What country do you live in? Does the motorcycle have HISS? Is it a “conventional” key or a laser cut key?

Look at the serial number plate and it will tell you the model year.

Any locksmith that create vehicle keys will copy it. If your Honda has HISS you need a key with the chip and then program the ECU/PCM with the new key.

I would suggest to have 3 keys, not just 2...

I'm in the U.S., and this is a 2016 DCT model.

My assumption was that the key itself did have HISS, as the dealer told me he would have to get the 'key code' from Honda.

They tried cutting a replacement there at the shop but weren't able to crank the bike with it.

This assumption is why I haven't gone to a regular locksmith.

This isn't actually my first (or my first new-ish Honda) bike and I'm used to getting 3 copies of keys with one 'master' that has the code itself attached to the key, ergo my assumption that I couldn't have a duplicate made.

Without the actual key code how does one program the new key with the proper ECU/PCM?

Edit: Words are hard.

You just order the HISS keys from Honda and then you enable the registration mode of the PCM and register all of the keys from the beginning. It's described in the service manual.

If you have HISS it's easy to determine it... There's a label on the ignition and a LED blinking for about a day or two on the dash...

Honda Worldwide | Tech Views | Vol. 4 H.I.S.S.

I ordered OEM blanks from ebay. $12 i think, and had the local locksmith cut them for me. Works great. Buying the bike used, one of the original keys was bent.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Well ****ing Jesus. I obviously don't have HISS and the dealer (one of the biggest in DFW...) was full of shit.

Guess I'll try the OEM blank and a locksmith.

Like Flyin, my one key is bent.

Guess it's my fault - I've bought and sold bikes from 2 other dealers over the years, and they were so good I assumed a similar size/tier dealer would be awesome as well.

Well ****ing Jesus. I obviously don't have HISS and the dealer (one of the biggest in DFW...) was full of shit.

Guess I'll try the OEM blank and a locksmith.

Like Flyin, my one key is bent.

Guess it's my fault - I've bought and sold bikes from 2 other dealers over the years, and they were so good I assumed a similar size/tier dealer would be awesome as well.

You can use a blank HD109; if you have a Rural King in your area, they stock the HD109 blank and cut the keys. I had a spare made at Rural King and worked like a charm. I used this key to cut down for the frunk, but it did start the bike. Total cost for blank and them cutting the key $1.25... (US).

You can use a blank HD109; if you have a Rural King in your area, they stock the HD109 blank and cut the keys. I had a spare made at Rural King and worked like a charm. I used this key to cut down for the frunk, but it did start the bike. Total cost for blank and them cutting the key $1.25... (US).

The way I understand it, badgopher has a 2016 model, which, if it has the laser cut key, won’t work with an HD109 blank.

Back