• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

(Edited) 2021 Land of the Dragon Gathering

It would be almost impossible to do this safely on a bike. You could do it if you had a camper and trailered there. Imagine trying to do 6 feet in MOs buffet line, or in the dining pavilion. I guess if 3 or 4 people were there, it would be OK, but not with the usual crowd. If there aren’t enough people there, Mo won’t cook anyway. If you could cook your own food, or drive to get carry out and eat in your RV. You could do ride planning meetings via Zoom, and get ride through or carry out when on the ride. It could be done. But most of the fun is the socializing before, during, and after the ride. It always rains sometime during the event. If you were on a bike and didn’t want to risk the buffet line, you would have to ride into town, and either eat on the curb in the rain or bring the food back to camp to eat in your tent. Attendees would be under tremendous social pressure to ignore what we know we should do, and revert to doing what we have always done.
I can’t go because I’m required to quarantine 14 days after coming back, and I have a scheduled court appearance within those 14 days. The Judge would keel haul me if she found out I went out of state and exposed her and everyone else.

I’m still considering a trip next week. The weather looks decent. When I travel alone, I very rarely use restaurants. I prefer to bring and prepare all my meals, so social distancing in that regard is business as usual for me. Bringing the truck and toyhauler camper, as I did last year, will allow me “all the comforts of home” and self contained space for all my living necessities. I’m awaiting response from Bobby or Mo as to the campground status.

Sadly, the other Tennessee campground I often also visit on these trips, Indian Boundary, is closed. From what I can tell from the NPS, the southern section of the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed. Maybe it’s better to go when those attractions are open.

Another option is for me to go to Arkansas instead. It really depends a lot on weather forecasts.

Last edited:
Here is the May 8, 2020 response from Kickstand Lodge. I think this officially kills this event for this spring. Perhaps we should consider rescheduling for a late September or early October event.

“Hey Greg,
We are not open now but we hope to open Memorial Day weekend.
As for changes, we'll see. We don't know what restrictions the state or county may impose on us.
Let me know when you think you will be coming and I'll let you know what's available.
Thanks,
Bobby”

Mo, returned my call. There is no lodging permitted in the 3 surrounding counties, and the NC700 group will need to change its plans. And she is sorry.
670cc, late summer early fall sounds realistic. Hope to see you all then.

On the other hand, the motorcycle friendly campground Shady Oaks, near Harrison, Arkansas, is open for business. Lots and lots of very good riding around there, and far less traffic and congestion than near the Smokies. I usually go there in April, but so far missed it this year.

When I travel to northern Arkansas, I generally eat once or twice at Oark store, but otherwise fix my own meals. I think I could travel this time, leave out the Oark meal, and contact only gas pump handles and the campground bathroom. I could even pay the camp hosts by phone. It should be quite safe.

On the other hand, the motorcycle friendly campground Shady Oaks, near Harrison, Arkansas, is open for business. Lots and lots of very good riding around there, and far less traffic and congestion than near the Smokies. I usually go there in April, but so far missed it this year.

When I travel to northern Arkansas, I generally eat once or twice at Oark store, but otherwise fix my own meals. I think I could travel this time, leave out the Oark meal, and contact only gas pump handles and the campground bathroom. I could even pay the camp hosts by phone. It should be quite safe.
I could do this area instead of North Carolina on the same dates.

There's always Two Wheels of Suches not too far away in Georgia. I know they're open. They have a restaurant that's doing take out too. I was there and camped with the ST group late last April. There are lots of great roads around there and it's not too far from all the great NC roads. In fact at KSL last year, we did a day trip and stopped there for a while.

Just remember, the virus is still spreading and increasing infection rates in most states other than NY. Georgia went up 40% last week. Be thoughtful about your decisions. I plan to live and ride another day.

Just remember, the virus is still spreading and increasing infection rates in most states other than NY. Georgia went up 40% last week. Be thoughtful about your decisions. I plan to live and ride another day.
Not pushing anyone in their personal decision but wonder where the 40% uptick last week for Georgia comes from? State web page shows different story.

Around Atlanta is a hot spot. Texas requiring self quarantine of anyone coming from Atlanta but not rest of Georgia. Northern counties around Two are not bad.

Too early to tell if Georgia opening impacts their trend. Next couple weeks there will be interesting to watch and see if it was right thing to do.

Looks like idiocy happened at the opening of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

unnamed.gif

I think I'll head to Suches Ga. on Wednesday. The weather looks to be great. Maybe I'll see some of you there if you decide to go.

Harrison Arkansas sounds tempting but way too far for me (14 hours of slab) with my limited timeframe.

FYI - I hear that KSL may be open on 5/22.

The Arkansas weather looks cool and with some rain this week, so I guess I'll not be on a big ride at least until the following week.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground just posted they are opening tomorrow, May 11.
Awesome news! I'm changing my plans to head that way this week. I've never camped there but have ridden through on 276 many times and stopped in once or twice. It's a really nice campground. Thanks for the heads up. It's closer than Two Wheels (or KSL) for me too.

Awesome news! I'm changing my plans to head that way this week. I've never camped there but have ridden through on 276 many times and stopped in once or twice. It's a really nice campground. Thanks for the heads up. It's closer than Two Wheels (or KSL) for me too.
I’ve always stayed in one of the $45 cabins shared with a friend . At that price not worth setting up 2 tents. Great place and lots of great roads.

I’ve spent one night at the BRMC a few years ago. Sat around the fire talking with other riders. If they are open I’ll ride over on Thursday.

Back