• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kickstand Number 9 in the Land of the Dragon

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
KSL 9 sign up

KSL 9 sign up - Google Sheets

The following was lifted from last year's post. I'm too lazy to type it again.

A bunch of you guys seemed to enjoy this in 2017...so I say lets do it again!!!

KSL 9 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 18-21. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding.

Basics...

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens.
Bring your own tent.
She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...last year some of us got drenched and others saw nothing but sunshine.

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground

Last edited:
I'm in! I'm hoping to come with the bike in a mini toy hauler and stay in the area for the whole week.

I would love to make it again this year, but that weekend I will be at the Spring Gathering in Monteagle, TN and the following weekend I will be starting the Scooter Cannonball Run from Morro Bay, CA to Virginia Beach, VA.

I will look forward to the 2019 KSL.

How early do you need to reserve a camping site? Would love to make the event.

I'd love to see you make it! You would really like the riding in that area. Think Arkansas with twistier roads and near perfect pavement. There's gravel, too, if you like.

If you're tent camping there's really no need to reserve a site. I've never seen it very crowded in May, and you can just pitch your tent anywhere you like.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but KSL deals with cash only. No credit cards.

This sounds like fun not sure if I can make it this year depends how it goes with finding the right bike and saving enough money to be able o make it.

Camp sites really don't need to be reserved. I do a list to let Mo (the proprietor) how many are coming. Cabins need reservation.

Back