• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event

I took that Thursday, Friday and Monday off at work. I don't really have a plan at the moment, but those are the days I have to work with.

couple of pics from past KSL's to whet your appetite.

Put May 16-19 on your calendar.

DSCN4118_zps38abc855-L.jpg

2018102719563254-picsay-1337606045-L.jpg

P1010167-L.jpg

P1010161-L.jpg

P1010155-L.jpg

Thats actually a pre NC pic. Mostly nighthawks and a VFR or two.

I got the GPX of the Smoky Mountain 500 route. Might try running one or two legs while up there. Might skip the famous Whit road water crossing. I've done it on a DR650. Very tricky.

Have you done 215 and 281. Makes a great loop off the BRP.
Cullowhee rd also has some interesting points.

Nope.
Looks like a good day. Long maybe. Things are tougher than BICU (before intensive care unit).

The Blue Ridge is the other way from us. We will be coming from Stecoah/Kickstand Lodge.

Last edited:
This photo shows most of the folks that attended KSL7. Some came from as far away as Texas, Oregon(!), and Florida. It was a good time!

KSL7 Group.jpg

Have you done 215 and 281. Makes a great loop off the BRP.
Cullowhee rd also has some interesting points.

The 215 is an amazing ride. There’s also some great fire roads off the Cherahola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ridden the "gravelhala" on my old DR650. Thats some of what I plan to do this year if its dry. I'm not into mud.

Most of the gravel roads in the area would be easy of the NC. I remember one section of the gravelhala that was steep with some fist sized rocks. This was about 4 years ago, so don't know how it is now.

Most of the gravel roads in the area would be easy of the NC. I remember one section of the gravelhala that was steep with some fist sized rocks. This was about 4 years ago, so don't know how it is now.

I toured most all of the gravel roads around the Cherohala Skyway last fall on my dual sport. Can you be more specific about which road(s) are referred to as the “gravelhala”?

I agree that nearly every road around there can be done on the NC, although one in particular that is a service road for a power line could be a bit tricky in spots.

Its a combo of River, N river Rds and Big Santeelah Rd. 81/217 on the America Rides maps.

OK, I know that route well. Please forgive me for sounding like I'm complaining, but on N. River Road, I spend most of my time dodging potholes made from all the car traffic, and the last time I was on 81 (Big Santeelah) on the NC700, I barely averaged 10 mph because they had put down a deep, loose layer of round, golf ball sized gravel. I LOVE most all the gravel roads in the Cherohala area that are off the beaten path, like Old Furnace, Davis Creek, Wildcat, Bald River, Citico, Cold Spring, etc, but I'd avoid the gravelhala if I had a choice. And near the top of my favorites list might be Sycamore Trail, up to the high grassy meadow. Awesome.

These pics will get you anxious for spring!

Meadow.jpg

gravel.jpg

dirt.jpg

falls.jpg

Last edited:
Love for you to lead me around. I actually crashed on Big Santeelah. Tried to avoid a big pothole and an F250 with travel trailer at the same time.

Love for you to lead me around. I actually crashed on Big Santeelah. Tried to avoid a big pothole and an F250 with travel trailer at the same time.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Yes, we could do a day or two of mixed pavement/gravel rides, easily keeping it doable on an NC. In the Cherohala area, I very rarely encountered any water holes and I can’t think of any water crossings (except on the Smoky Park’s Parson Branch, which has been closed for a few years, as far as I know).

Back