• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event

It was nice seeing some of you on the road, even if only briefly. Sounds like you guys had a blast! Wish I could have gotten everyone running earlier on Thursday to meet up with you at the Dragon. I didn't plan on having 5 others riding with me.

And the weather this past weekend! Man, someone pulled a major favor for that! Only had about 5 minutes of drizzle coming back from Maggie Valley on Friday, dry the rest. At least until I hit Mt. Washington, KY (20 miles from home) where it was a thunderstorm until I got home. Still dry, but had to hang the riding gear to dry up. Laundry day today.

We came home a different route but we got to Louisville about the same time. I hit the Gene Snyder at 2pm and rain..until Sellersburg and then all was good... glad you made it back safely...wife asked me if I got wet... I didnt get wet but the bike and riding gear got wet...I rode the rattlesnake (ky hwy 192) on the way home.. nice curvy little road and no traffic...but jeesh, Hwy 27 and Hwy 127 are such boring roads-almost as bad as the Intestates...

Yeah, thats why I avoid them anymore. would have been a shorter route in time, but not near as much fun. 61 and a couple nice spots, but pretty boring as well. 31, well, is 31.

Had a great time at my first KSL. Great bunch of guys, a pleasure meeting you all. KSL 11 is on the calendar for 2020. Made it back home to South Carolina with no issues except for getting caught behind a flatlander coming down off the mountain in the Pisgah Forest. Guy never took his foot off the brake! Ha!
Hope everyone made it home safely.

I made it home safely. I took the pickup truck and trailer through the Tail of the Dragon to get home. I entered the Dragon at 06:30 on Sunday morning and not one single bike or sports car came up behind me for the whole 11 miles. Either I was super fast or, more likely, they all were still in bed. I was there too early to even get my picture taken :(.

As Bob said, KSL 2020 is going to happen, so mark your calendars. It’s the weekend before the Memorial Day weekend, or May 14-17, 2020. I’ll see you there!

Guys - I made it Sunday morning, but all were gone. Rode the Dragon, Cherahala loop, more. Over 350 miles of twisty fun.
20190520_122122.jpg
Back in Greenville now with 1050 miles added to the odo. No problems. Sorry I missed you all.
PS - I almost got to the chicken strips, but will prolly never as the rear tire is still square and almost done.
BTW - the seat really does suck on long trips!

Last edited:
Glad to you were able to get up there...it is more fun with a small group. I put a seat concepts - low cover on my saddle and did a 6500 mile trip, with some 500 mile days. Helped a lot. I also used one of those bead buddies.

This is great - I can watch myself ride! I'll have to subscribe to your channel!

yes you can. It was great riding behind you...On the curves I didnt know or remember, I got my braking points watching your brake lights...LOL....I dont post much on youtube because I only got that little cheapo camera and most I do post comes from the KSL meetups...Have a great one Robbie...

Guys - I made it Sunday morning, but all were gone. Rode the Dragon, Cherahala loop, more. Over 350 miles of twisty fun.
View attachment 38248
Back in Greenville now with 1050 miles added to the odo. No problems. Sorry I missed you all.
PS - I almost got to the chicken strips, but will prolly never as the rear tire is still square and almost done.
BTW - the seat really does suck on long trips!
Nice picture. What windshield is that and is there any buffeting while wearing a full face?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Seems to me your “itty bitty cheap camera” does pretty good! What are you using?

Dont even remember its name...got it off of Amazon years ago; dont have the box and it does not have a name on the camera..paid less than $20 for it. It is a tough little camera though.. It has fallen off the bike a couple of times..the seams have been gorilla glues more than once, internal battery doesnt hold charge any longer but I have can connect to a usb port on the bike or into my portable battery pack... I will try to find some more information on it.

Edit: found it: geekpro 2.0.. no longer in stock... last time it was on Amazon it was $42...

Last edited:
Dont even remember its name...got it off of Amazon years ago; dont have the box and it does not have a name on the camera..paid less than $20 for it. It is a tough little camera though.. It has fallen off the bike a couple of times..the seams have been gorilla glues more than once, internal battery doesnt hold charge any longer but I have can connect to a usb port on the bike or into my portable battery pack... I will try to find some more information on it.

Edit: found it: geekpro 2.0.. no longer in stock... last time it was on Amazon it was $42...

Darn. That price point is right up my alley :rolleyes:

Darn. That price point is right up my alley :rolleyes:

I thought I had the bike sorted but after some interesting off road excursion in the Snowbird Mountain area it quit shifting (DCT). Hobbled out of the Nantahala Forest in first gear where I could get help to return to KSL
ab3371eebba52734d8e66a5c60c51daa.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Bike trip turned into a van ride home.
8a91f3f4f703e5b19da6abbcd99a9280.jpg
Any word on what the problem was with your DCT?

Fuzzy: nice meeting you at KSL10, even if it was only for a minute before I took off-I had 400 miles to home and tried to beat the storms home (did run into about 15 miles of the stuff). Next year we will have to get your group and our group together for a big group ride...:)

Any word on what the problem was with your DCT?
It was not a problem related to DCT, per se.
The towing was necessary due to the clutch disengaging after riding a few minutes in 1st gear.
The only way for me to get out to civilization was to repeatedly restarting the bike.
Both my traction control and ABS fault indicators were flashing.
My inspection at camp showed that the missing spacer caused damage to the rear speed sensor.
The ABS ring had shaved off about a fingernail thick portion off its tip.

When I got home, the first thing I did was to read any DTC stored in memory:
1-2, 1-3, 1-4 /// 2-3 // 4-1, 4-2 // 6-2 //8-1, 8-2
These indicate ABS sensor/system failures and appear worse than what the actual problem was.
After erasing the DTC in memory, I went for a test ride and read DTC again:
Only 2-3 remained as expected. (Rear Pulsar ring or related wires- stops ABS operation)
So, I replaced the rear wheel speed sensor.
Luckily, I had one on standby :)
The bike also got a new chain and some TLC and runs as good as new, again.:)

PS. the clutch disengagement and gear change prohibition is a "fail safe" programming to
ensure the safety of the operator I believe. No mention of this in any literature, so its my best guess
but the fact that it did behave like it did indicates it is a programmed safety feature.

Last edited:
It was not a problem related to DCT, per se.
The towing was necessary due to the clutch disengaging after riding a few minutes in 1st gear.
The only way for me to get out to civilization was to repeatedly restarting the bike.
Both my traction control and ABS fault indicators were flashing.
My inspection at camp showed that the missing spacer caused damage to the rear speed sensor.
The ABS ring had shaved off about a fingernail thick portion off its tip.

When I got home, the first thing I did was to read any DTC stored in memory:
1-2, 1-3, 1-4 /// 2-3 // 4-1, 4-2 // 6-2 //8-1, 8-2
These indicate ABS sensor/system failures and appear worse than what the actual problem was.
After erasing the DTC in memory, I went for a test ride and read DTC again:
Only 2-3 remained as expected. (Rear Pulsar ring or related wires- stops ABS operation)
So, I replaced the rear wheel speed sensor.
Luckily, I had one on standby :)
The bike also got a new chain and some TLC and runs as good as new, again.:)

PS. the clutch disengagement and gear change prohibition is a "fail safe" programming to
ensure the safety of the operator I believe. No mention of this in any literature, so its my best guess
but the fact that it did behave like it did indicates it is a programmed safety feature.

I’m very glad you got the problem solved and it was relatively simple.

However, I seriously question Honda’s design logic. From what we observed, a failed rear wheel speed sensor essentially disables the motorcycle and leaves the rider stranded. The bike would go 500-1000 feet or so in first gear, then either shift to neutral or disengage the clutch. Cycling the key and restarting the engine allows you to go another 500-1000 feet. There would be a huge safety risk for a rider trying to get to a safe place or service location using this method on a busy or narrow highway. I believe that’s why you chose to get a tow rather than ride the bike like that back to camp on busy, narrow, twisty route 143. It seems to me that with a failed rear wheel speed sensor, the operational fail mode could have been designed to simply disable ABS and go to normal brake operation, along with allowing the DCT to shift normally based on the front wheel speed.

To basically disable the motorcycle for a failure of this one non-essential part is a horrible design.

To basically disable the motorcycle for a failure of this one non-essential part is a horrible design.

But that is what I have seen over all in the machine making industry. Promulgated by litigation worries no doubt. And knowing someone who has never ridden a bike without ABS they are sure to wipe out while braking on the way home, being all stressed out an all....:p

But that is what I have seen over all in the machine making industry. Promulgated by litigation worries no doubt. And knowing someone who has never ridden a bike without ABS they are sure to wipe out while braking on the way home, being all stressed out an all....:p
NC DCT will ride normally without the abs working. The problem may be that the dct needs to know speed for shifting. Wonder if it would have worked in manual mode? Still needs to know when coming to stop even in manual to shift to neutral....

Back