• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kinda too tight!!!

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had the bike to the dealer today and found out the where having a special that was for:

1. Clean and lube the chain
2. Inspect the sprockets
3. Adjust chain tension.
4. Clean and polish the bike

All for $30.00. Figured it was worth it since I was there anyway and it would save me the clean-up of re-lubing the chain myself.

Got home, decided to double-check the work myself since the mechanic who did it was new. The chain would flex only 1/2 " when I pushed on it much harder than I normally needed to! Figured this was kinda too tight!

Called them up, spoke to my usual mechanic who I have done business with for years. He told me that he never liked to reset a chain for less than 1".

Bringing it back tomorrow to be loosened a bit.

Don't think there will be a problem riding it over-tightened for the 5-6 miles it is to the dealers, but ........

Lesson reinforced.............. ALWAYS DOUBLE-CHECK WHAT ANYONE OTHER THAN YOU DOES TO YOUR BIKE !!!

Yeah! And...I would like to add the same goes for getting a new rear tire as well as sprocket alignment. I ran mine for a few months or so but something kept nagging me, but nothing I could feel. One day the shifter got a little to finicky/sticky letting me know to check the chain slack. When I checked the alignment with a steel ruler, I had to loosen the right side a full turn, and tighten the left 1/4 turn. :( It definitely pays, or rather SAVES to know your bike. ;)

Stuff like this is why I don't trust any dealer to work on my vehicles. If they can't tighten chain properly, would you really want them tearing into engine for valve adjustment, or something more complicated? Last dealer that touched my bike left two brand new scribes that fell under seat just in front of fuel tank. I saw two plastic handles with Kobalt on them dangling, one good bounce from falling and going into rear tire. And all they were doing was mounting hard bag brackets.

Bringing it back tomorrow to be loosened s bit.

Lesson reinforced.............. ALWAYS DOUBLE-CHECK WHAT ANYONE OTHER THAN YOU DOES TO YOUR BIKE !!!

I most certainly hope you got a refund of your $30.

Technically, per the service manual, while the bike is on the side stand, the slack of the chain, midway between front and rear sprocket, should be 1.2-1.6 inches. The service manual does not list slack readings for if the bike is standing upright or on a center stand.

Next two oil changes for free. And they had me come in before their actual opening time today so that their chief mechanic could fix it.

I'm glad to hear you were compensated.

That's all great, but I don't think I would want them changing the oil. Sorry to be so pessimistic on dealer service but I have had my share of experiences, and now no motorcycle of mine ever goes to a dealer for service, even for warranty stuff if I can help it.

Technically, per the service manual, while the bike is on the side stand, the slack of the chain, midway between front and rear sprocket, should be 1.2-1.6 inches. The service manual does not list slack readings for if the bike is standing upright or on a center stand.
What is the difference between measuring chain slack when the bike is on the side stand and when the bike is standing upright? Do you think the additional weight from standing upright makes a significant difference in the compression of the suspension. (I am not talking about the center stand, only a different position of the bike with both wheels on the ground)

What is the difference between measuring chain slack when the bike is on the side stand and when the bike is standing upright? Do you think the additional weight from standing upright makes a significant difference in the compression of the suspension. (I am not talking about the center stand, only a different position of the bike with both wheels on the ground)

I would imagine, as there is no weight bearing on the swing arm, the readings while on a center stand with the rear tire off the ground, would result in a 'slacker?' reading than what is actually true. Not sure that the difference would be all that critical though.

I've seen that topic covered on several previous posts.

I specifically mentioned not talking about on the center stand

I would imagine, as there is no weight bearing on the swing arm, the readings while on a center stand with the rear tire off the ground, would result in a 'slacker?' reading than what is actually true. Not sure that the difference would be all that critical though.

I've seen that topic covered on several previous posts.
If you read my post I expressly stated that I was NOT talking about the chain slack while the bike is on the center stand. Only asking why the original poster stated the bike had to be on the SIDE STAND and NOT standing upright with BOTH wheels on the ground, while setting the chain slack. Is there a measureable difference in these two positional measurements?
(Notice no mention of setting slack while on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground)
Thank you

If you read my post I expressly stated that I was NOT talking about the chain slack while the bike is on the center stand. Only asking why the original poster stated the bike had to be on the SIDE STAND and NOT standing upright with BOTH wheels on the ground, while setting the chain slack. Is there a measureable difference in these two positional measurements?
(Notice no mention of setting slack while on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground)
Thank you

Umm. Ok. I slapped my own wrist for ya!

And the measureable difference is?

Yes there's a measurable difference.
Really, are you using a micrometer to measure the difference?
And what exactly is the measureable distance to the nearest .001mm? So just by holding the bike up perpendicular to the ground the chain slack decreases?, over the chain slack when the bike is leaning slightly to the left when on the side stand?:rolleyes:

Thank you

Did I miss a post or something? davidc83 stated simply that there was no spec listed in the manual for chain slack with the bike upright or on the centerstand.

davidc83 only described the contents of the manual. Looked in the manual. Manual has specs for sidestand. No spec for any other position.

I don't see any suggestion that there was or was not any difference, or that there was or was not expected to be any difference between sidestand, upright, or centerstand.

Last edited:
Really, are you using a micrometer to measure the difference?
And what exactly is the measureable distance to the nearest .001mm? So just by holding the bike up perpendicular to the ground the chain slack decreases?, over the chain slack when the bike is leaning slightly to the left when on the side stand?:rolleyes:

Settle down there, turbo.

There is a difference. Measure it yourself.

Each bike, depending on its sag settings will be different as to how much different, but yes standing the bike up does cause more weight of the bike to load the shock, the linkage, and "squat" the bike - effectively lengthening the swing arm and making the chain tighter.

Yep, I only stated what is in the service manual. If we are going to do our own maintenance, should we not follow the directions in the service manual? (yea I know, numerous people don't read/follow/understand directions). The service manual only mentions side stand, I wish it had measurements for the centerstand (now that I have installed a centerstand), but it doesn't. I did not make a suggestion there is a difference (even though there is, do your own measurements (correct measurements that is) from side stand to centerstand or just standing upright. I stated the measurements from the service manual so the OP would know what the measurements should be if he wants to check the dealership work again. Jeez....

By the way, the correct measurement, is checking either the bottom part of the chain (below the swing arm) or the upper part of the chain (above the swingarm) at a distance halfway between the front sprocket and rear sprocket (per the service manual).

I recently had a new tire installed on the rear by the local Honda dealer where I purchased the bike. I did notice that the chain seemed to have less slack than before I took it in for the tire install. However, I was leaving for a trip and did not have time to take it back to the dealer and question the work.

However, since one of my trip stops was at GMD Moto Suspensions in Fairmount, GA, I asked Kent to check on this.

He said that the chain was tensioned way too tight and set about fixing it. This told the better part of an hour as he also found that the wheel alignment was skewed as well. In all a miserable job done by the Honda dealer who must have had the tire changed by a novice.

Kent reset the chain slack correctly and then realigned the wheels which, I guess, had been thrown out of alignment by the Honda dealer's tire change work.

I watched him do this work while he explained what he was doing and why. Once the correct chain slack had been set, I believe he said that a rear tire change should not change it.

All in all I cannot say enough about the service I received from GMD Computrack Atlanta in Fairmount, GA.

Back