• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

klr 650

gaknc700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been discussed, anybody have experience with klr. I'm thinking a trading my vstrom for one. Thanks in advance!

I have two friends with KLRs, actually @gunnut37086 on this forum owns one. Are you wanting something more off road biased? Otherwise I don't see how you'd benefit from the move.

I have two friends with KLRs, actually @gunnut37086 on this forum owns one. Are you wanting something more off road biased? Otherwise I don't see how you'd benefit from the move.

Yes, the NC handles the road and mild off road. Looking for more off road .

Look at a DR650. Little more dirt bias than the KLR, also lighter for when you drop it and it will handle the highways. Great in the twisties and very bullet proof.

I rode one until I sold it for my NC. I miss it, but I wasn't getting into the dirt enough to justify the ownership.

Look at a DR650. Little more dirt bias than the KLR, also lighter for when you drop it and it will handle the highways. Great in the twisties and very bullet proof.

I rode one until I sold it for my NC. I miss it, but I wasn't getting into the dirt enough to justify the ownership.
I agree. Obviously adventure bikes are a study in compromises, but since you're looking at having two bikes, you might as well specialize a bit more in what you're looking for. My friend with both an NC and a KLR rarely rides the KLR because he just likes his NC that much more in general. I think maybe it's too much overlap for him, since the KLR is still pretty heavy off road and isn't as much fun on the road. I'd have to let him chime in, though, as I may be misinterpreting things.

I'd say the KLR is a 4/10 on the road and a 7/10 off pavement and the NC is a 8/10 on the road and a 3/10 off pavement.

Throw a skid plate, barkbusters, crash bars, better footpegs, and some 60/40 tires on the NC and the wheels will still be only 17", the suspension will still be tuned for the street, and the clearance will still get you hung up on anything taller than a 4" with a rider. It's so awesome and comfy on the road, I hate to make the changes that make it a serious contender on fire roads for fear it'll spoil it's street pedigree. However, you can make the NC a 6/10 off pavement, if you want.

Some suspension work makes the KLR an 8/10 off pavement despite it's weight, but there's not much you can do to make it better than a 5/10 on the street. I still think it's all around more versatile if you never need to get on the interstate.

Back