• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

KSL 2021

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just heard that Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge will open in May, they will start taking calls in April. I went up to KSL seven years in a row for some May riding, but missed the last few for health/Covid. I hope to make it this year. We usually gather around the weekend prior to the Memorial holiday. I am not going to set a date or try to organize a group, but I thought I’d let folks know she is going to open this year.

The topic of a 2021 KSL was recently brought up in the old 2020 thread. https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/kickstand-2020-land-of-the-dragon.16301/page-6 There is interest in a 2021 gathering, and the dates are shown in post #106. Dates follow the old formula of holding the event the weekend before the holiday weekend containing Memorial Day. I hope to be able to make it, pending efforts to at least get a coronavirus vaccine prior to the event.

Just checked Kickstand's website and they're not opening until Memorial Day weekend. Bummer! Looks like we'll have to go elsewhere. Other possibilities are Iron Horse right there in Stecoah, Blueridge Motorcycle Campground in Crusoe NC (on Facebook) or Willville Motorcycle Campground in Meadows of Dan VA. What say you all?

FYI - I got my first Covid shot and will get the second in a few weeks. I'll be good to go as far as that goes.

Just saw this after posting this in last year's thread, so added it here too.

1615311661575.png
bummer...Never been to Blueridge....anyone stay at Iron Horse since they changed ownership? I am going to try the tent thing this year, if I am not retired and living in sunny Florida by then...work dependent...work may downsize soon and I may be relieved of my IT duties and if so, retirement earlier than planned...Blueridge Facebook page states they are going to try to open end of April. Iron Horse Facebook page states they are open now... my vote would be Iron Horse, since it is so close to MOs place....but I am up for Blueridge-what's 2 more hours of riding to get there from here....hehehe...

I never cared much for the old Iron Horse but I don’t know about how it is with the new ownership. Also haven’t stayed at Blue Ridge but I rode through a few times and it looked very tent/motorcycle friendly. Fuzzy has stayed there, I think, with a Piaggio MP3 group. Maybe he can chime in on the suitability of Blue Ridge.

Another possibility, and maybe the simplest, is to move our event at Kickstand to the weekend after Memorial Day.

I never cared much for the old Iron Horse but I don’t know about how it is with the new ownership. Also haven’t stayed at Blue Ridge but I rode through a few times and it looked very tent/motorcycle friendly. Fuzzy has stayed there, I think, with a Piaggio MP3 group. Maybe he can chime in on the suitability of Blue Ridge.

Another possibility, and maybe the simplest, is to move our event at Kickstand to the weekend after Memorial Day.
that could work, move it to the weekend after Memorial Day....

I've already been approved for the vacation time the week before Memorial Day, so I may not be able to switch it. I'll have to see depending on how this goes.

FYI - VIR is hosting the MotoAmerica race the weekend before Memorial Day which is not far from Meadows of Dan Va. That would be an option to attend for a day (or more) for anyone who's interested.

I have stayed at Blue Ridge numerous times and it is a nice place. A bunch of cabins you can rent for around $50 a night, plenty of space for tents, right on the creek, ....a nice “recreation” room with plenty of seating, tables, free coffee, TV, magazines, phone chargers, etc. A convenience store with necessities like ice, and an outdoor pavilion with meals on the weekends. Free all you want firewood for a central fire pit. Good location, good owners. Highly recommend.

There is one issue that may or may not be a problem though. Only motorcycles allowed over the bridge into the camp ground.....so if you bring a car or camper, it will have to stay in the parking lot adjacent to the camp ground. I actually like this rule because it keeps RV’s out. Hence the name “Blue Ridge Motorcycle Only Campground“

A couple of pictures from last summer:
4F389955-ECA2-4635-BDA2-498B69C9854A.jpegB4D99BDA-7CC2-49F6-9862-9C92DD4B8BEC.jpeg43796C20-2494-4075-94E5-3518874C9C6C.jpeg

We have the old and new threads going on this topic. On the other thread there was interest in keeping the venue as a place where one could bring a trailer or motorhome. That rules out Blue Ridge, which doesn’t allow cages past the entrance bridge. It looks like I and another member have reserved space at Iron Horse for the original proposed weekend May 20-23, 2021. I’d be OK with doing KSL the weekend of June 3-6, but I didn’t sense there was much interest on that plan. I can also do Blue Ridge whenever and tent camp there instead of RV camp.

Back