• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lan split with OEM panniers?

ttttrigg3r

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Socal and split lanes all the time with my sport bike. I just got my NC700x and it came with Honda panniers installed. I've been riding with them off because I'm afraid they'll come into contact with other cars when they split lanes. Does anyone have experience in this matter that can give me some feedback or advice? I'd love to be able to ride comfortably with them on, but I'm afraid that the first time I do that, I'll get into some kind of accident.

Not sure where you split lanes but I generally go from Buena Park to Laguna Niguel on the 5 and the lane between the carpool and left lane are really wide so you’ll have no issues. I don’t have panniers but more than anything, I’ve hit few sideview mirrors when going to LA county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The handlebar width should be wider than the OEM panniers are. You’ll fit anywhere the bars fit.

Yeah just watch out for suv/truck side view mirrors on the roads that don’t have carpool lane.

Another thing is what the heck do you do even if your panniers did swipe a car in the process of lane splitting in heavy traffic, no room to pull over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a Californian. Nevertheless, I rode over to LA, then up through San Francisco, and then on north into OR. It was rush hour in SF, but not so much in LA. I hadn't lane split before other than to get past a pair of cars here or there, but was splitting constantly to get through the traffic in Cali. I had all the Honda OEM luggage on plus a duffel bag athwartships behind me. No issues. It is true that the handlebars are about as wide as the saddlebags, but it isn't true that wherever they'll fit the saddlebags will, simply because of the height difference (think about wide mirrors, flatbed pickups, etc. Nevertheless, the NCX with Honda's luggage is better for this than MANY adventure bikes out on the road.

Thanks. Yeah I've been commuting for 3 years and am pretty expert, but my F4i feels like a toothpick compared to the NC.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I've been commuting on my NC for 3 years and I've split lanes sense the day I picked it up in L.A.
I've got OEM side cases and as others have said if your handlebars fit so will everything else, that's a good reason to not get small handlebars or way big side cases, I'm sure I'd wreck if I did.
Now this part has no backing but personal experience. I always leave my side cases on, you never know when having more carrying capacity is going to pay off so better to be prepared, second, I'm an aggressive rider and the only time I've gotten pulled over was when I had my side cases off, possibly not related but I'd ridden the same path the same way for a year before and 2 sense and one of the 3 times I'd ridden without my side cases is the only time I got pulled over.

I was in CA this past week on my NC and my buddy behind me mentioned that my factory panniers had good clearance when we did some limited lane splitting on the 101.

I finally put them on this Sunday. It's been 3 days so far with no problems (knock on wood). I'm soooooo impressed at how much stuff I can carry. Along with the frunk, I feel like I don't need a car at all.

I finally put them on this Sunday. It's been 3 days so far with no problems (knock on wood). I'm soooooo impressed at how much stuff I can carry. Along with the frunk, I feel like I don't need a car at all.
Wait until you get a rear rack and straps, you can bring the kitchen sink [emoji28]

NC700 OEM accessory bags are narrow and would work perfectly. But other make/model bags can become too wide and unsafe.
Luckily I've never lane split but I'd think mirror to mirror contact is the first danger.

NC700 OEM accessory bags are narrow and would work perfectly. But other make/model bags can become too wide and unsafe.
Luckily I've never lane split but I'd think mirror to mirror contact is the first danger.
I do have to lean a bit (have to plan ahead for that) to raise or lower the mirror on the side I think will make contact.

Back