• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LED indicator conundrum ?

Scorpio54

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all could someone please help with an electrical issue? (of my own making....) just fitted a set of 4 LED indicators of the "flowing/flash light" style. They will not work off the flasher relay on the bike, understandable I suppose as each indicator has its own built in relay which works fine when connected to a 12v supply (they flash on their own independently) does anyone know how I can get them to work? is it a case of bridging the 2 connectors on the current bike relay? don't want to short anything out so thought it best to seek advice..... I would be very grateful for any assistance. Thanks in advance.

First of all, please tell us what motorcycle year/model you own.

If they function as signals on their own - flash with power, then you would not need the flasher at all, since that is its job.
But then you do not have running lights?

Hi guys thanks for the response, the bike is an NC700X 2012, itsmenc700, your on the ball with your observation :) the original indicators are running off the switch wiring (handlebar) and then routed through the 12v repeater relay. Now replaced with a new style of LED indicators which have 9 LED diodes in each indicator in a straight row, when powered up they light in a row or sequence from 1 to 9, this then repeats using its own built in repeater relay.At the moment they dont function at all, i am guessing because the power source is trying to run through 2 relays, one on the bike and x 4 for each individual indicator.
Not sure what you mean by running lights as they are of no issue on the bike?

Hi David, thanks for the input, just done a bit of research, the indicators proper term is "sequential" (so I just found out) one UK company are suggesting that the 2 wires on the bikes relay should be disconnected from the relay/repeater unit and should in fact be bridged to give a constant 12v to each side of the bike indicators via handlebar switch (left or right) remember that each LED indicator has its own relay/repeater circuitry fitted internally. I will try this tomorrow and update the thread with the result.

It sounds like for your style of signals, a turn signal flasher is not needed. You could either bypass the flasher, or substitute a simple relay for the motorcycle’s flasher module.

I’ve fitted the same type, it’s as Scorpio54 said. But I didn’t disconnect the wires I just bridged across the terminals and left them in place.

Back