• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Led strips for additional turn signalsemergency flashers

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wired these into the harness by going in through the plastic cover in the rear wheel well. One screw to take off - that's it. I got some weather proof connectors so I can still take my side cases off with ease.
Was going to take pics of the install but forgot.... I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever do that!
They light up pretty good at night. Daytime- not so much. Night time riding on the interstate is the main reason I put them on. I can flick the emergency flashers and photon-bomb the person speeding up on that one little taillight.
DSCN0962.jpg
DSCN0963.jpg
This last pic is of my SOLAS reflective tape I put on
DSCN0964.jpg

Got any pics of the connectors to the side cases? Or daylight pics of how you attached them to the cases? I'd like to do the same.

good job.
I also ride at night alot and I installed LED in my givi top box.
It really helps when a car is behind you, they can see the LED easily.

Mine serves a daytime running lights, turn signal and hazard.

Nice addition and nice garage to work in I'm envious.... The problem I had was day time visibility so I added the addmore rear led brake light turnsignal bar. Lot more expensive but my wife was concerned when she could not see my brake light in stop and go traffic (she is more familiar with our GL1800 and all the lighting). Now she can see me good but then that was $129.00. I have the Bestem 929 that has led running/stop lights in the wrap around closure but only at night are they really visible, the addmore really lights up and I have it just below the box. I think your approach is great as when turning at night is when the bike is vulnerable with the stock setup. I'm looking at the forum on the led turn signal change out but lot more expensive and less visible than what you did. Now that I'm installing the LED headlight that another member (BRIL..... can't remember name) explained to save 25 watts of power I may abandon the led turn for your solution. Thanks

Thanks gboswellsac. I'm blessed to have a 30' X 50' shop at home. I also have an led stop light that doesn't have turn signals in it but it was only $30 if I remember right. It's mounted right under my aluminum rack. One thing about adding an led strip (or just light) in line is you don't have to buy and install the other stuff to make it work correctly.

Thanks gboswellsac. I'm blessed to have a 30' X 50' shop at home. I also have an led stop light that doesn't have turn signals in it but it was only $30 if I remember right. It's mounted right under my aluminum rack. One thing about adding an led strip (or just light) in line is you don't have to buy and install the other stuff to make it work correctly.

Perfect logic and works ..... I have the GIVI Tracker bags so will have to see what led setup would be best and look back at the quick disconnect you used on yours as I do take these off from time to time. Thanks again

Boz

Here's a couple of pics showing my "high-tech" installation.
First of all, you must have Gorilla tape -lol

This what the self-stick led strip looks like. This is where I drilled a 1/16" hole and ran the wires through.

DSCN0967.jpg

Run the wires where they are out of the way.

DSCN0968.jpg

This is an vacuum cleaner cord (yes, I save such things). A 1/4" hole through the fender was a tight fit and will be water tight.

DSCN0970.jpg

These connectors can be found at any auto parts store.

DSCN0972.jpg

With the Gorilla tape in place, it looks a lot better.
DSCN0965.jpg

I will probably cut some more vacuum cleaner cord and run it through the body of the panniers. The wires on the led strips are VERY small guage.I thought about going to the junk yard and cutting two connectors off a car. They would look better. Anyway, the lights work now so they'll be like this for a minute.

God bless you Itlives! I thought I was the only paranoid about being more visible on the sides:p

That's my application. I don't have side caces so mounted the LEDs directly to the frame. I have also added a couple of brake LED stripes.

20150308_213709.jpg
20150308_214055.jpg

God bless you Itlives! I thought I was the only paranoid about being more visible on the sides[emoji14]

That's my application. I don't have side caces so mounted the LEDs directly to the frame. I have also added a couple of brake LED stripes.

View attachment 23045
View attachment 23046
Looks good,how did you connect the wires?I see these strips at auto stores.

That looks good Moto! Are those running lights AND turns or just turns?
In the pic from the rear, are those the same side lights? They look red.
I'm eventually going to add some red running lights in the rear. Probably right under the lights I just put on.

Just soldered directly to the stop and turn signal wires. I had a bad experience with different slip-on connectors in my car so I just use solder now. The only problem I see is the quality of a 50 cents LED stripe is way better then the tail wiring plastic dust cover... I will have to add something there eventually to make all wiring more dust proof.

That looks good Moto! Are those running lights AND turns or just turns?
In the pic from the rear, are those the same side lights? They look red.
I'm eventually going to add some red running lights in the rear. Probably right under the lights I just put on.

No those are not running lights. They are red, as I wrote before I connected them to the stop signal wire. Here is me spinning miles in the parking to show the lights in action:
[video=youtube_share;geEeXOgmGro]http://youtu.be/geEeXOgmGro[/video]

The LEDs are under $2 for 4 stripes of 12 diods (15 cm long)
As you can see the front light is not working on the right side. Looks like father Murfy was not joking with his laws))) It quit blinking the second after the last screw was put in place... Will need to find another 2 hours later to disassemble the right side fairings.

This is my next project Auto Car Laser Fog Light Rear Anti Collision Driving Safety Signal Warning Lamp | eBay when I decide if I really need/want one.

Last edited:
Back