• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Left hand zippers on jackets

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a cheapo mesh riding jacket on sale and it has the zipper pull on the left instead of the right. Some quick googling tells me that left vs right is all over the place, with some sites suggesting it's a Euro thing, to others saying it's a gender thing, to others saying there's no standard whatsoever.

I emailed the retailer to ask and they insist that "The zipper is not installed incorrectly. All European style jackets (which is most of the riding gear we carry) have the zipper on the other side from what we are used to in the US.". I'm not 100% sure I buy that explanation, so I thought I'd ask the most wisest and all-knowingest group of folks I know. Unfortunately I forgot my password for that site, so I'll ask you folks instead.

I have some old German military Gore tex that has the zipper on the left. Hard to get used to but does the job.

I bought a hoodie in the ladies section of a factory outlet in Orlando. It zips from the left. I liked the sweatshirt so I have adapted :)

I bought a cheapo mesh riding jacket on sale and it has the zipper pull on the left instead of the right. Some quick googling tells me that left vs right is all over the place, with some sites suggesting it's a Euro thing, to others saying it's a gender thing, to others saying there's no standard whatsoever.

Lefty zippers are indeed a Euro thing. The gender thing is buttons, not zippers. Women's buttons are opposite mens. Some say for ease in breast-feeding by the normally right-handed woman. Other lore says it is because women had assistants to dress them and it was easier for the right-handed assistant. I can't imagine many poor girls having assistants to dress them. But I know that since time began men have always been willing to help them out at no charge. Unfortunately for me, I am left-handed, and the whole tradition doesn't work for me.

"They had to save the U to spell coulor." Well, actually colour, like honour, but at any rate....

Post of the week! Greyone1 wins the interwebs.

P.s. You can thank Noah Webster for dropping the u.

Back