• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long Ride Tomorrow

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of taking a long ride tomorrow (Friday). May go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, check out Willville Campground for a trip this fall. Might do a little BRP before heading home. Maybe 4-500 miles.

drdubb, We need to get together sometime soon. I've been out of town and then became a grandpa so I've been kind of running hard these past few months.

drdubb, We need to get together sometime soon. I've been out of town and then became a grandpa so I've been kind of running hard these past few months.

I would stay in town if that happened every time!

Drdubb- sounds like great day!

Netizen...yes we do...

Did about 450 miles. Great, beautiful day. Even got a chill on the parkway. Had lunch in Meadows of Dan, checked out Willville campground, rode the parkway, took pictures. Will post tomorrow.

Last edited:
Long Ride Tomorrow - Yesterday

I'm a semi retired educator and I go back to work next week, so the weather prediction was great and i decided to take advantage of the situation. My target was Meadows of Dan, more specifically, Willville Motorcycle Campground. I plan on doing a weekend up that way in September, so I thought I'd check out the place and do a few miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

P1010248_zpswstaztix.jpg

Found this historic store. My last name is Warren so I had to get a pic.

0731150957_HDR_zpsmrc2mh28.jpg

Another find was a store selling sheet metal sculpture.

I didn't leave particularly early, 9'ish, I'm still in vacation mode. I mostly limited my route to secondary roads and two lane highways, so I passed through Hillsborough, Milton (home of Virginia International Raceway) Danville, Martinsville, and Stuart Virginia. There was some four lane around those familiar towns. The rise up to the Blue Ridge included a stop at Lovers Leap. No, mama, if you want to jump, you are on your own. Nice view though.

0731151156_zps11jpnag7.jpg

Scenery as I approached the mountains.

0731151229_zpsdi7lqbjv.jpg

Lovers Leap

0731151229b_zpsottrtagr.jpg

Upon arriving at Meadows of Dan I stopped for lunch and had the buffet at a local diner. Soul food was on the menu, collard greens, pork chops, mashed potatoes etc. I tried to limit my intake so that I could still get on the NC and then I pottered over to the campground. Lovely place. You have to ride down a narrow trail through the Rhododendron to get to the site. I bet that place is gorgeous when things are blooming. I met the owner, Will, and checked out the place. I just wanted to make sure I could swing my hammock and I confirmed that there were plenty of suitable trees.

0731151245_zpsoytmhjt3.jpg

Lunch

0731151321_HDR_zpscaorpxnl.jpg

Willville Campground
0731151322_zpslnajonqh.jpg

I chose to ride north on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd hoped to ride as far as Roanoke and then turn southeast to head home. It was such a perfect day, actually a little chilly in my mesh gear, that I could have been anywhere and enjoyed the ride. I stopped at several of the overlooks, took pictures, and even took a few side trips on the gravel roads that criss cross the area. At one stop, I talked to a Harley rider who was on his annual BRP ride with his wife. He was totally relaxed. I might have to make that a tradition for myself.

0731151428_zpsfl9zrw8p.jpg

P1010255_zpshznwzjr8.jpg

P1010252_zpscmnqcgmk.jpg

I had hoped to turn onto a designated "good motorcycle road" as noted by America Rides Maps, but when I left the parkway, I couldn't find the road. I decided to take 221 back to Floyd, Virginia and then head down highway 8. One of the goals this day was not to plan or think too much. That's a tough thing for me. I need targets and goals, just riding distance without a plan is tough, but I succeeded in giving myself permission to relax several times.

The ride on 221 was a little problematic. I was noticing a burning plastic smell and I started to worry about the NC. Then I ended up at the tail end of some slow traffic....first gear kinda of slow. Eventually, the cause appeared, DOT trucks spraying herbicide on the side of the road. I assume my lungs will not sprout any weeds for awhile.

After Floyd, the ride was uneventful. I followed a Gold Wing down the mountain and then mosied on home. I did get "monkey butt" for the first time in my riding career. I'm gonna have to get a Russull saddle. Ended the day with about 450 miles and about 62MPG.

P1010253_zpsud33mlbn.jpg

Last edited:
Back