• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at Changing Seats

TN Thunder

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at changing the seat on my NC. I have looked at Corbin, Sargent, Russel Day Long and am now looking at a change in seat cover and foam from Seat Concepts. Have any of you used this cover? And does it work. Russell seats are just too expensive for my wallet at this time. Information will be appreciated.

Seat concepts reduces the slope but does not eliminate the slope. I added more material to the seat bumpers, used rubber chair feet thingies, so that the seat tongue is a very tight fit in the slot and that got rid of almost all slope along with the seat concepts. Since then I really like the seat concepts. Very comfortable for me.

An often overlooked option is the Saddlemen kit. It works like the Seat Concepts in that you get new foam and cover to install on the stock pan. I use one and in my opinion it does eliminate the forward slope without adding much height. It does not add as much width up front as the Seat Concepts.

The Seat Concepts regular is best for larger people, imo. I have not tried the Seat Concepts low option, but it sounds good.

Last edited:
I have been researching new seat options also and let me tell you, they all have issues it seems. You'll read a handful of people who love one brand then read just the opposite from someone else. I am confused enough myself about the seat options with so many conflicting opinions that I'll just make due with the stock seat. Maybe if ebay ever has some good used aftermarket seats I'll try one.

I just upgraded to a Sargent. I used to use a Spencer's modified seat. That was a big improvement, but I have a very bony posterior and it wasn't enough for me. I haven't ridden on the Sargent much yet but I've had Sargent's on other bikes and they were the best option for me. I still had to use an AirHawk on long days. My Spencer's seat is now for sale on the forum.

I bought the Sargent from someone who found it wasn't good enough for him, he upgraded to a Russell Day Long (much more $$$).

I have been researching new seat options also and let me tell you, they all have issues it seems. You'll read a handful of people who love one brand then read just the opposite from someone else. I am confused enough myself about the seat options with so many conflicting opinions that I'll just make due with the stock seat. Maybe if ebay ever has some good used aftermarket seats I'll try one.

Yep, there is no one best seat, we are all different. You just have to try a couple. :)

Last edited:
I've used the Seat Concepts seat cover for quite some time now. It is better than the stock seat and a bargain compared to other options. It has gotten me by so far, but I finally am dropping the big bucks and have an appointment for a ride in service with Russell to get my seat done right. Lately after I changed roles at my work I sit at a computer all day now. Might be T.M.I. but my backside has been killing me and riding the bike hasn't made anything better. So, I'm going to get the seat done by professionals so it is comfortable for me to ride again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I realize we're all built different. Riding the NC all day long with the OEM seat puts pressure on the actual cheek bones to a point that it becomes painful. I would like a seat that is no wider in front than the current seat but wider in the back portions and more cushion for the buttocks. This would unload the pressure point on the rear. Unfortunately you can't go to some shop and rent a seat to try out. I hate throwing money to improve something to only find out it's no better than what I started with. Now I've got two worthless objects. Again, thanks to all.

Thanks for the replies. I realize we're all built different. Riding the NC all day long with the OEM seat puts pressure on the actual cheek bones to a point that it becomes painful. I would like a seat that is no wider in front than the current seat but wider in the back portions and more cushion for the buttocks. This would unload the pressure point on the rear. Unfortunately you can't go to some shop and rent a seat to try out. I hate throwing money to improve something to only find out it's no better than what I started with. Now I've got two worthless objects. Again, thanks to all.

Back when I did the Sargent seat, they had a deal where if you didn't like it you could return it for a refund. That's what I did. Maybe that's an option for you if they still have that program

TN Thunder what did you decide? I'm in the same boat as you.

I was perfectly happy with the OEM seat until I took a 200 mile ride. My butt was screaming after 50 miles. I need to change it but picking which seat to go with seems almost like a crap shoot. Right now I'm on the fence between trying the Seat Concepts low version and riding down to pay Seth Laam a visit. I'm a couple of hundred miles from his shop.

I have the Seat Concepts low option. Eliminates the forward slope. Much better than stock.

Is the SC low lower than the OEM seat, or just lower than the SC standard seat? From what I understand the SC standard is taller than OEM, which won't work for me. I've got a 30 inch inseam and can only flat foot the bike now because I just lowered it 3/4".

Anything you don't like about the low version? Sending you a PM...

Last edited:
I've been happy with my Corbin. I had experience with them in the past with my 1200 Vmax. I'm not flat footed anymore on my lowered NC, but it was a welcome trade-off in order to be able to ride for over an hour comfortably. And I got to customize it the way I wanted.

Got with my dealer (who knows I look at everything on the internet before I come in) and we spent some time looking at various seat specs. We measured the stock seat and compared that to the pictures and specs. I am now the owner of a new Sargent seat that should be at the Dealer''s parts Dept. around mid-April. Corbin would have been my next choice. Sargent makes two seats but one of them is just fancy stitching or whatever you want, the one I got is the treated seat and I only bought the rider's seat. The amazing thing about Corbin was the rider's seat and the passenger's seat are the same price. Passenger's seat is about half of the rider's seat. The Corbin was less expensive. Dealer gives me 10% off so I got the seat from him cheaper than I could get it off the internet.

Wished I had got to you earlier TN Thunder but I usually love Sargent seats. I live in Knoxville and I have both a Seat Concepts set-up and I have an Ed's Custom seat (Local guy who does excellent work). Let me know if you want to hook up and test either one of them.

Kimball

Kebrider, I wish I had known that too. I ordered yesterday so when it gets in if it doesn't feel (fit) right I'll be in contact. I live in Seymour off Boyds Creek Hwy. (TN 338).

We are just a bit over 30 miles apart from where I live in Hardin Valley. We run 338 sometimes as part of a scenic route to Newport when we do our Hot Springs-to-Deals Gap (via Burnsville, etc) runs. We have found so many great roads east and northeast of 209 that we usually don't get home until around midnight. Love those 450 mile, 18 hour days in the mountains and the NC is usually the bike I choose. Donna will ride her Versys LT or she takes the NC and I ride the CB500F. Either way we trade off all day which just adds to the fun. The ST1300 is a hoot as well and is my usual choice when the temps are low. We probably do that run 6 or 7 times a year.

Back