• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Losing my mind

Bcsmith

Reaction score
Visit site
So NC riders. I am having a really tough go lately. Been very busy threw the week with my schedule and come the weekend the weather has been poor. This summer I have only been able to put 4000km on my bike and that is not enough to satisfy my wind therapy. Now the winter is fast approaching I am becoming very upset with the way things have gone. I have heated gear so I am hoping to extend the season by as much as possible but I really am hoping for a couple days to get out there and feed the need to ride. Sorry for the rant but just had to get it off my chest. Is anyone else getting the winter blues already???

So NC riders. I am having a really tough go lately. Been very busy threw the week with my schedule and come the weekend the weather has been poor. This summer I have only been able to put 4000km on my bike and that is not enough to satisfy my wind therapy. Now the winter is fast approaching I am becoming very upset with the way things have gone. I have heated gear so I am hoping to extend the season by as much as possible but I really am hoping for a couple days to get out there and feed the need to ride. Sorry for the rant but just had to get it off my chest. Is anyone else getting the winter blues already???
Your winter may be different than mine.

I felt maybe same way as you, but in the summer. Many summer days I wanted to ride or do a camping trip, but the harsh sun and summer heat killed many opportunities. I look at fall, winter, and spring, as motorcycle season.

PMS is what it’s called. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

I certainly feel for anyone who has to put their bikes away for whatever period of the year. I am fortunate to ride in a temperate climate with no particular extremes of temperature. As such I ride all year and look forward to the adaptations of riding necessary for the different seasons. Currently lots of rain and wet leaves/sludge on the road.

Most riders here in Ohio put their bikes away Nov 1st and get them back out April 1st. I ride year round unless there is ice/snow on the road. Rode 350 days/21,414 miles last year. This year we had a bad winter with lots of snow/ice and I missed 32 days of riding to weather in January and February and had some medical issues (heart) that caused me to miss 35 days in March and April, but I have only missed 3 days riding since then. Hoping for 275 days and 15,000 miles this year.

Took the NC out yesterday for about 300 miles....Met up with some guys in the Louisville Ky area and we rode backroads thru central Ky....A few times I had no idea was I was at and swear I heard banjo music in some of those hollers.....
1635778788123.png
1635778863399.png
1635778915773.png
2 Hondas (Goldwing and NC700x), 2 BMWs (1200gs and 1250 r), 3 Yamahas (2 Super Tenere and 1 700 Tenere

I certainly feel for anyone who has to put their bikes away for whatever period of the year. I am fortunate to ride in a temperate climate with no particular extremes of temperature. As such I ride all year and look forward to the adaptations of riding necessary for the different seasons. Currently lots of rain and wet leaves/sludge on the road.
Ah, Ireland. One of my favorite places in the world and the only place I’ve ever been that’s prettier in person than in pictures. I’m thinking with decent rain gear you’d be gold year around. Here the temps drop a fair bit so warm (heated) gear is a real plus. Even then, black ice, snow and similar can but the kabosh on riding at times.

I too ride as often as i can, like PotterOo up in the Pacific Northwest, i am all over the Inland Northwest. Nearly every day i can be out i am. If the pavement/forecast isn't icy, snow covered, snowing, ice-fog or ice-rain... i am out in it trying to get in another ride. It is just so enjoyable to be out on the bike, like a mental health day!! :{)

... the weather has been poor. This summer I have only been able to put 4000km on my bike and that is not enough to satisfy ...Is anyone else getting the winter blues already???
No, I live in San Diego but... originally from Connecticut and simple rule I followed: Don't winterize or put the bike away other than adding fuel stabilizer and a battery tender with quick disconnect. Invest in winter gear and do short-rides at least once a month during the day when it is not raining or snowing even if it is around the block. I never saw value in mothballing my bike - except if I will be out of state.

Benefits: safety - you maintain your riding skills vs taking 5+ months of no riding. You t feel less "deprived" and more balanced. Mechanical things work better under regular use. Optional: consider spending more time outside on walks and possibly investing in an MC suit for days when it is raining.

Final thoughts: Even in San Diego I need to winterize myself with thermals, heated grips, windshield, etc - nighttime + 40F + 70+ mph on the highway is cold.

W
Most riders here in Ohio put their bikes away Nov 1st and get them back out April 1st. I ride year round unless there is ice/snow on the road. Rode 350 days/21,414 miles last year. This year we had a bad winter with lots of snow/ice and I missed 32 days of riding to weather in January and February and had some medical issues (heart) that caused me to miss 35 days in March and April, but I have only missed 3 days riding since then. Hoping for 275 days and 15,000 miles this year.
What part of Ohio are you in?. I'm a fellow Buckeye.......Clermont county.

No, I live in San Diego but... originally from Connecticut and simple rule I followed: Don't winterize or put the bike away other than adding fuel stabilizer and a battery tender with quick disconnect. Invest in winter gear and do short-rides at least once a month during the day when it is not raining or snowing even if it is around the block. I never saw value in mothballing my bike - except if I will be out of state.

Benefits: safety - you maintain your riding skills vs taking 5+ months of no riding. You t feel less "deprived" and more balanced. Mechanical things work better under regular use. Optional: consider spending more time outside on walks and possibly investing in an MC suit for days when it is raining.

Final thoughts: Even in San Diego I need to winterize myself with thermals, heated grips, windshield, etc - nighttime + 40F + 70+ mph on the highway is cold.
Yes. Over time, it was obvious that year round riding was the best option. I finally bit the bullet and purchased some good ski pants, heated vest, grip covers (Givi guards and mitts), warm shoes, and just ride when the roads are clear of snow, ice, and salt. Even at 20 degrees I can get an hour on the roads, and that's enough to fill satisfy the craving for a while. Sure beats the heck out of the winter time blues.

.. Even at 20 degrees I can get an hour on the roads, and that's enough to fill satisfy the craving for a while. Sure beats the heck out of the winter time blues.
Great work! I also think there is great value in challenging the elements with a winter mc ride, a walk around the neighborhood etc. Also, when the weather start to warm up to 50F+ your ready to rock vs waiting for 70 or other perfect conditions. Also, riding in the rain with proper gear and caution increases the riding season and inspires other riders to come out of hibernation.

Only CON: It is harder to maintain a bike in showroom condition; that is why I buy used bikes.

Love the Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, been suffering for years with that. Just being able to take a ride for any distance has always been my go to.

Update: I'm at 279 days and 16,310 miles with 4 days to go, so not so bad I think, considering.

Back