• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lovely rumble

salishmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Putting miles on the wife's new 750X that I'm riding most of the time, and I've come to really love this little bike. It's got more heart and soul than I expected. It's got a lovely rumble, and deep grumble. It moves off the line and from 15-50 plenty quickly. I can see why people can use this as their one bike. For myself I could see having it as my urban and commute bike, with something bigger and faster for long trips. My farkling of the beast is going well, and tonight I have epoxied the Pyramid fenda extenda on. The clutch pull is so light, it's a dream in traffic, and the low seat height that is too low for long distance comfort for my big frame, makes it super easy to foot down in parking lots and in gravel. It really does feel like a perfect little machine for what it's meant for. Well done Honda. I'll stick with 150hp bikes for my real travel, but that's just because I have a defective acceleration detecting gene on my 17th chromosome.

In a mixed stable I like the NC because it's so different from my sport touring and touring bike and yet is genuinely capable of touring when desired and so outfitted. It's a pony in a world of horses.

Yes, that wonderful motor is what makes it so special albeit my own version is a bit of an oddball. I disagree with one aspect. I am happy to do "real travel" on mine. In fact if not for the two aspect that still has me owning a Strom I would happily do all of my "real trevel" on the X-Adv. Only last june I covered 730kms in the course of a days riding and would happily have continued further if the trip had demanded.

I’ve used mine a good bit for long trips.I can run 400+ miles per day as easy on the NC as I can on the other heavy tourers I’ve owned. Yes, the heavyweights like my Wing are more comfy, but the little NC is easily as comfy as my Tiger has been. Not tons of reserve acceleration as on the high hp bikes for 70 up, but adequate to do the job.

I believe the lack of seat comfort in the stock format making me having doubts for considering it a touring machine.

Even with bar risers and new seat, after a couple hours I start complaining.

I believe the lack of seat comfort in the stock format making me having doubts for considering it a touring machine.

Even with bar risers and new seat, after a couple hours I start complaining.
You might have to keep trying to find what is comfortable for you. I've done 1000+ mile days on my NC700X more than once on a Sargent seat.

In stock form, the NCX is not the best choice in motorcycles for a long distance tourer. However, now modified with handlebar risers, better seat, windscreen, and luggage, my NC will efficiently take me wherever I want to go in the USA and Canada, along with camping gear. While not as nice as on my Goldwing, 600 mile days on my NC are not a problem. The NC’s main inherent long distance touring shortcomings are it’s chain final drive and the small fuel tank.

The beauty of the the NC is it’s “standard” nature and adaptability to various uses. However, if acceleration capability and high horsepower are important to the rider, the NC may not satisfy.

I'm looking at adding 2 more bikes to my stable to cover all the types of riding I do. I'm looking at a KLR650 for heavily off road adventures that still require some freeway time before I get off the pavement, and a dedicated sport tourer like the Suzuki GSX-S1000GT+ for long and still spirited trips across the country. Until I hit the lottery my NC750X is covering the whole range. I don't see myself making three-bike money any time soon (and I'm not sure I have a multi-bike tolerant wife) so I've been pleasantly surprised over the last year of ownership at just how well the NC can go from some light off road adventure camping all the way to 750 mile in a day freeway touring. I still haven't found a good seat, but I haven't looked very hard either. A gel pad over the stocker got me 1500 miles over 2 days recently with only minor complaints.

I have a '18 Gold Wing and a '19 Harley Heritage in the garage. When I go for a local ride I'll take the NC over the other two. I just bought a set of Honda saddlebags for the NC. Now I'll give the NC a try at long distances. It seems I can get a safe 150 mi on a tank of gas which is as good as the H-D with its 5 gal tank and a heavy throttle hand. The NC Honda saddle bags are as big or bigger than the other two, plus the NC has the frunk. The NC allows a short run on dirt roads to get to great viewpoints out west. The Gold Wing and the Heritage do not feel comfortable or reassuring on dirt roads. The NC cruises fine at 80 mph with the Madstad windshield. I try to avoid freeways as much as possible so the NC is plenty fast. I had forgotten how good it feels to ride a 500 pound bike after riding 800+ pound bikes for many years.

I appreciate hearing the perspective of other people and it sure seems one thing we are discussing is how one bike can serve many functions depending on your budget and how deep into one thing you wish to go. That's the versatility that the NC offers, like the Weestrom or Versys or other bikes in the genre. My own preferences for more HP in a touring bike comes from doing quite a few 1,000-2,000 mile trips a year, which are often going from Seattle down to Berkeley for football games. Slab time. I also head up into Canada and explore around BC and Alberta quite a bit. Having owned an FJR and a Concours 14, they are simply made for that specific task. Shaft drive, 140hp, comfort, stability. I can't count the times I've been on a two lane road stuck behind a truck or a Prius and needed to get around and quick. On my Connie I could pass 5 cars on a short straightaway because I could so quickly go from 40mph to 100mph and back down to 40 in about 4 seconds. Or been on I5 and needed to get out of trouble or past a cluster of trucks. Of course, this is not an advantage to someone who travels more serenely than I do. Like those who do real off road travel, single tracks, and drops, are going with the Tenere 700 and not an NC.

It's partly a question of sweet spot. People take 1000cc race bikes on cross country trips. Shoot, there is video of a guy taking a Busa off road! It's not a question of whether it can be done, but where is the sweet spot. To me the NC has a sweet spot of suburban travel. Some town, some highway. My wife will use it for longer trips with me and we got it for her because it fits her body and her style of riding. And as she likes to say, there are many choices of bikes like their are many choices of ice cream. Who's to say which is right for you?

Back