• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Low frequency vibration?

rnizman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

New to the forum, first post! I'm a fairly new rider (3 years) and my first bike was a CBR250R. Was a great learner but I was starting to do some 2 hour commutes with it on the highway which was pretty rough. Traded the CBR in for a new 2014 NC700X about a month ago.

I'm noticing a low frequency vibration that seems to manifest itself on longer rides (over 1 hour). If I had to describe it, it feels like it's chugging; as if at low RPM in a low gear. Except I feel it to some degree in any gear, at any speed, and any RPM; even at idle. Another way to put it may be a pinging feel where the valves or cylinders are banging against something. Once it's warmed up, I feel it the most in 6th gear at around 60 mph or 3500 RPM. It gets to the point where have a headache and feel nauseated after some time.

I've been reading posts here related to vibration issues and many responses tend to recommend patience and allow the bike to break in. I'm at 950 miles and had the recommended 600 mile maintenance performed already. I mentioned this issue to the service tech and he said, "that's the way it is."

So, does this sound normal? Do I just need to be patient and put some more miles on it? Or is this an issue that needs to be handled by the dealer? In every other way, I love the bike, but if this is normal, I'm already regretting my purchase.

Thanks.

what you have read is correct. we have discussed this topic several time... it does go away to a certain extend. - mine went away at around 7k

i further reduced the vibration with heavier bar end weight. and grip puppies.

The engine was actually designed to feel this way somewhat. They were going for something in between the CB1100 sewing machine feel and the rumble of V-Twin. I am at 4K miles and have noticed some improvement. It's not a vibration that I am fond of, but it doesn't really bother me much either. Some of the vibration you might be feeling at higher speeds could be related to the crappy suspension on these bikes too. I notice a similar feeling that you are describing when I'm going about 75 on medium rough highway pavement.

I feel a little vibe at about 3500 rpm.
If it really bugs you, one way to deal with it would be to switch to manual and shift down to 5th.

Crappy suspension? It may not be up to the standards of my WR250R that's dialed in really well now, but I've ridden a lot of machines that don't feel as nice as the NC700X. As for vibes, I feel nothing untoward, but every machine has certain resonances, and tires and tire pressures seem to play into that a bit too.

I'm glad I love my machines!

I also rode a CBR250R but only for 1 year. I've never felt any kinda frustrating vibrations on this bike. Those things still remains from the beginning, just like handlebar shaking at low RPM in 6th gear ( before the DCT swithces back from 6th to 5th ). It maybe the light bar end weight.
And some noticable v-twin rattle happened recently, but it was a loosy chain. After adjustment, the bike went back to normal.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking there is an issue with this particular bike. I didn't notice this until after I owned the bike for about two weeks. Prior to that, the ride was smooth and enjoyable. The issue isn't tire or suspension related since, as I mentioned, I notice it at idle as well; most definitely a vibration coming from the engine after it warms up.

I'll see if I can get the dealer to take a closer look at it.

Thanks again.

I have had mine for about three to four weeks now and the only vibration I notice is when the rpms get to about 4k. By the time I get the vibration I am changing gears and then the vibration goes away until I hit about 4000 rpm again. The sweet spot on mine seems to be right at 3700-3800 rpm.

When I started riding I started on a Honda Ruckus, then a Honda Grom (now this thing had vibrations), moved up to a CBR500R, and now I'm on the NC. I have not ridden a Honda bike that has not had some sort of vibration that was not normal. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Last edited:
I just acquired a NC and I feel the same exact vibration when using drive seems the processor is s bit too quick to grab gears and when below 3k she rumbles a bit. Most all my vibration quits when it goes to 6th

Do some reading on the characteristics of a 270 degree crankshaft.
That should explain everything
Honda did this on purpose to give the bike some "character" that was a bit more manly than a Singer sewing machine

Do some reading on the characteristics of a 270 degree crankshaft.
That should explain everything
Honda did this on purpose to give the bike some "character" that was a bit more manly than a Singer sewing machine

I'm not debating you on the 270 degree but it won't make any difference to the engine - it can care less what angle it is to the crankcase - do you feel it the angle of the engine to the drive line.

I played around a little today and at exactly 44-45 mph in 6th gear it almost feels as if the engine was off - its dead smooth and this is the only rpm and speed this occurs.

Not sure what you mean - the pistons rotating on the crank could care less what the crankcase angle is.

The crankcase angle is not what's important here, in terms of vibration. 270 degrees in this context means the two crankshaft pins are located 270 degrees apart (or 90 if you want to look at it another way). This creates a different "lumpiness" to the firing order than what you have if the pins were 0 degrees or 180 degrees apart. Honda casts the crank pins 0 degrees apart and then twists the crank so that the two connecting rod big end pins are 90 degrees from each other.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Its important for owners to understand they actually paid for a bike equipped with vibration and an uneven semi-rough running engine. Its all part of the NC700 and CTX700 models persona, which Honda actually designed into each engine.

Honda designers felt that some vibration was desirable to enhance the concept and sales of the NC 700X sport bike. So to avoid a smooth running flat sounding exhaust tone engine, they altered the intake port layout, valve timing, camshaft and used a 270 degree phase engine design to produce a rumbled exhaust to mimic the characters of a 90 degree V-twin engine complete with some vibs.

Engine vibration on the NC700X and CTX700’s is an artifact of crankshaft design and the position of the weights in reference to each other. The theory of designing the engine at 270 degrees, is part of the engine design to un-smooth its operation. As most know, it is theoretically impossible to eliminate 270 degree primary vibration with the design of a crankshaft, (which is why our bikes shake) however vibration is improved with the use of a internal balancer.

Myself, I don’t feel the vibration is excessive on my NC700, while there is smooth and rough spots at different speeds and rpm’s, I don’t feel they are distracting. On my bike at exactly 45 mph in 6th gear, there is a smooth spot where its almost like you turned the engine off. Overall the 700 has its own unique traits which are unique only to this engine. Pretty much every bike I’ve ever owned had their own “Sweet & Sour Spots” with regard to engine rpm and bike speed. I’ve found my NC700 has less vibration than my Spyder’s Rotax 2 cylinder or 3 cyl inline engines.

For the most part, I’m impressed by the whole NC700X’s mechanical design, engine, DCT, looks and vibs. These are amazing bikes with a ton’s of technology for only $7-8K.

The OP could also check the torque on the engine mounting bolts. I'm confident the above posters advising on tge 270° crank / etc are correct. Never hurts too check mounting bolts. Ride on.

I have had mine for about three to four weeks now and the only vibration I notice is when the rpms get to about 4k. By the time I get the vibration I am changing gears and then the vibration goes away until I hit about 4000 rpm again. The sweet spot on mine seems to be right at 3700-3800 rpm.

What you're describing is designed into the bike...if it really gets to bothering you
Switch to "S" mode
Switch to Manual
Switch down to 5th gear
Complain endlessly like alot of people do
Sell the bike
Enjoy the slight rumble until the rpm's get above it...LOL

Honda Worldwide | Global 700cc Engine for Next-Generation | Introduction

Pay particular attention to the section that talks about "a mature throb"
the designers actually voted on whether or not to make the counterbalancer to offset the 270 degree
crankshaft perfectly balanced like the goldwing or offset it just enough to have a mature throb like the big V-twins
Americans are so fond of.....

Back