• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

lowering links and raising forks

sshev

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to lower my NC about 1.5" I have the lowering links and plan to raise the forks up to bring the front down close to the same amount. I'm a bit concerned about how to support the bike both when installing the links and also when the forks are loose. I don't have a center stand on it and I'm not seeing a large enough flat area under the engine to support it and keep it stable. I do have a chain hoist on an A frame in my shop and could rig a sling to support it from above. Any suggestions from someone that's done this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hoisting with belt is your best option if you don't have centerstand. You could try to lift with 2 low jacks under centerstand brackets.
Either way first you need to securely lock front wheel with wheel chock or stand.
When you lift bike high enough so rear wheel be above ground, use another jack (from your car) and raise swingarm to relieve weight from link bolts to a point you can remove bolts without resistance.
New links are longer. To install them you need to raise slightly swingarm. Keep everything very clean. Add some molybdenum disulfide grease into needle bearings.

View attachment 27051

To raise the forks you need to secure rear wheel with stand and hang front so it doesn't drop too much when you loosen triple clamp bolts.

In ref to raising the fork tubes, the amount is NOT 1-for-1 with how much the rear has been lowered. There is usually a recommendation by the link maker as to how much to raise the forks.

To be safe, you should have approximately 25 mm of space between the tire and the inner fender with the rear suspension fully bottomed.

To be safe, you should have approximately 25 mm of space between the tire and the inner fender with the rear suspension fully bottomed.

an inch? i don't think so. Radials have minimal growth... I could pass a rope that was 3/8" in diameter over the tire under he fender. I feel perfectly safe...

when you install lowering links, the travel is nominally the same, but higher up, so at full shock compression, it could hit the inner fender if you are not careful about setup.

links installed

got the 40mm links installed this afternoon. they make the bike a much more comforatable height for me. I did support it from above to do the install which worked well. To get the bolts out an axle jack helped to take the pressure off under the shock. To get the holes lined up during the install being able to vary how much weight was on the back tire by raising and lowering the chain hoist worked perfect. not sure I'm going to need to do anything with the forks. I'll know more after a few miles. Thanks to all for your good advice.

0462307c26b9.jpg

f2266c34e9aa.jpg

d287ef6d3bc5.jpg

that was my setup,when i did it

those red ties are tied to a garage door motor brackets on the ceiling, just to keep the bike straight, in case if it loose it's balance. kind of over protection

Back