• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lube for clutch/throttle cable

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on another forum said "if your clutch cable is nylon lined, only use a certain type of lubricant and avoid some other type at all costs".
I just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid as it's my first time servicing motorcycle cables.
Which type do we have in our NCs? Is 3-in-1 or white lithium appropriate? What about this stuff? Cheers guys!

P.s. do we just use the exact same stuff for clutch & throttle cables or are there differences?

Honda cables have a plastic liner that does not need lubrication and lubes that attract dust and grit actually increase wear of the cable.

Hmm interesting, my manual says 'Lubricate the clutch cable with a commercially available cable lubricant to prevent premature wear and corrosion'.
Also, my clutch lever feels very stiff so I was hoping a lube through would do the trick.

Inspect the clutch cable to see if it has been pinched or kinked causing the inner cable to drag on the outer housing. If there is any damage visible replace the cable. Lube the hand lever pivot and where the cable attaches to the lever, also lube the linkage where the cable attaches to the actuator lever on the crankcase cover. Lube those points periodically, more frequently if you ride in the rain.

I swear by Dry Film lubricate for cables. When I started working at a Honda shop in the 80s American Honda had a program where you got their training to be a Registered Tech. Everyone their had their own way of lubing cables. The after market kit I bought had a special lube, spray can with a small tube(just like WD40) that worked with a devise that goes over the cable after disconnecting gets tightened and allows the pressurized lube to be pushed thru without a big mess. 20 years ago I started working in the aviation field and found out about the Dry Film lubricate. Its great for lubricating just about anything does not attract dirt it even prevents corrosion. I even spray it on the snow blower to stop snow build up. I know removing the clutch cable can be a pain but I recommend it because the clutch lever and pivot bolt can bind up and increase friction. Every winter I remove the clutch lever clean the lever, bolt, housing. lube the cable with the Dry Film and use a salt water grease for the lever and bolt. Replaced my cable at about 32K just because the inner cable at the bottom showed signs of getting flat (high pressure) instead round in the inner cable weave. The rubber boots that dirt bikes use work really good on street bikes too to prevent dirt build up. Last words always make sure the groove on the adjuster is facing down.

PJ1 makes a nice cable lube. I'm not a fan of lubing cables and usually replace any that are not performing correctly.

https://pj1.com/product/cable-lube/
I bought two cans of PJ1 cable lube over 12 years ago and I still have 1/2 a can. I use a cable lube tool and found a little bit goes a long way. The pj1 has a distinct smell…

Thanks for the input everyone. Interesting how there are some who have favourite products and a lube tool and others who are against lubing altogether! Since my clutch lever is stiff I'll give it a go with something sensible and if it doesn't improve I guess I'll look at replacement (but I'm hopeful lubing will loosen it up:p)

The only thing I've had to clean was the pivot of the hand lever for the clutch and brake. Those were pretty grimy. The cables are free as ever and have never been lubed.

Back