• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad adjustable windshield system for the Honda NC700x

Just cautioning a relative newbie (like me :) ) that not everything labeled as "easy" or "no problem" is in fact that way. I tugged on mine as a test the other day and they would not budge. Tells me that some clamps may have to be loosened. And others have reported that some bikes cables do slip in their clamps with little effort and some act as if they are cemented in place. Didn't mean to imply that they were dishonest; just that some tend to gloss over issues.
After the first jibe in 20 knots all the others are easy. Is that what they are saying?

After the first jibe in 20 knots all the others are easy. Is that what they are saying?

LOL, maybe! Good to see a sailor on here. We had a race Saturday (I was RC boat) and we had gusts that were pretty stout. Some of the skippers handled jibes well and I thought a couple of them were going to rip their main sheet fiddle blocks apart!

OK, I'll try to get this thread back on track. For those who have the Madstad for a 2016, what is the shape of the lower edge? I've seen pics posted by various people and the shape seems to vary from one that almost matches the headlight to one that is more smooth . . . TIA

For those who have the Madstad for a 2016, what is the shape of the lower edge? ...the shape seems to vary from one that almost matches the headlight to one that is more smooth.

I didn't notice before you asked the question. Yes, the shapes seem to match. Here is a the new 20" Madstad on my 2016 NC700XD.

Lees-2016-NC700XD-Madstad20-w500.jpg

Also, for anyone my size (6'0", 32-inch inseam) considering a 22" Madstad, I ordered one (with +1" drilled holes), but I had to return it because of intense headlight reflection. I ate the shipping costs, of course, for that failed experiment. Here's the +1" 22" Madstad over the 20" (which I kept), showing 1" higher and 1" lower.

Madstad-20in-over-22in.jpg

I like the look of this Madstad the best of any I have seen. I would like to put one on my new NC. Would you mind telling me the specifications on this one? I just mounted a Givi and a laminar lip. It is better than stock but still not as good as people are stating for the Madstad. Ken

Neostorm, I wrote to you a few moments ago but I am not sure the message was directed to you. I think this style would look great on my bike. Would you mind sending me information about this windshield? Ken

Hi Everyone,
I got my 20 incher and it is frosted at the bottom because it's the clear. Can someone please clarify a few things for me. The side brackets go right underneath the main shield brackets when installed BUT still in front of the plastic factory support obviously right? Might be a stupid question but I want to be sure. Also, for the side brackets, the end WITHOUT the holes go underneath the brackets correct? If you can't answer this one, that's ok...

Finally, I don't understand or know how those nylock? nuts work but seems like they stop after a short threat distance, is this correct? is this how they lock for anti vibration? BECAUSE I was thinking of putting a dab of medium loctite, or should I NOT do this at all throughout this process?

thank you all!

Ahh ok, so I still have to tighten to reasonable tight feel, without over tightening I imagine? I got the answers to my other questions by looking at pics on this thread. Thank you.

Ahh ok, so I still have to tighten to reasonable tight feel, without over tightening I imagine? I got the answers to my other questions by looking at pics on this thread. Thank you.

Yes, like Fuzzy said, once the nylon portion engages the bolt threads, the nut will be too difficult to turn without a wrench. That is your locking, anti-vibration feature in action. You would still continue to tighten the nut down to the same torque. In this application, the Nylocks remove the need to use Loctite.

I installed the MADSTAD 20" shield and went for a ride. I was able to do 120 kph without issues, passing cars. I couldn't do this before without fear and anxiety from the wind hitting me. What a difference. I am so glad I got the 20" and not the 22". I am 6 feet 1 inch but as I suspected I have long legs but smaller torso so this size is perfect.

For folks around 6 foot 1 inch I recommend the 20" screen or you will not be able to look over anything bigger. I find this one big itself but really perfect overall.

I have a question though: I noticed that the winglets vibrate considerably, I guess this is normal? Those side brackets look like they could use an extra support bracket to help against vibration. They vibrate considerably, not sure if anyone else noticed this? It doesn't bug me, at first I noticed it and did a little but now I'm ok with it. The looks of it and performance are amazing, it turned my bike into a true adventure tourer :) the Honda complete luggage set is coming this weekend!

View attachment 33482

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
For folks around 6 foot 1 inch I recommend the 20" screen or you will not be able to look over anything bigger. I find this one big itself but really perfect overall.

I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I highly recommend the 22" just as MadStad themself recommend for this height. I am absolutely looking over the top of the windshield, having positioned it about 1 inch raised. I have it back a few degrees from its most vertical position. It looks like rmezei has it positioned very high from the looks of the distance between the headlight and windshield.

Everyone is different. 6'1 is right on the border of where the 20 and 22" recommendations are, so it will be a bit of a decision for anyone at that height. Maybe the next purchaser can ask them to make a 21"?

I was very careful with the instructions so what could I check ?

Also I mounted the windshield as it came and it is in its lowest position

Am I missing something on the mounting instructions for both the shield and the winglets ?

I was very careful with the instructions so what could I check ?
Also I mounted the windshield as it came and it is in its lowest position
Am I missing something on the mounting instructions for both the shield and the winglets ?

My winglets (and windshield) are solid as a rock. No movement whatsoever. Also, it really could just be the angle but it really looks like your windshield is really high. Mine is about an inch above the headlight when at its lowest position. The (possibly) high position of your windshield and the fact that it is vibrating might indicate it is installed wrong.

Maybe take a few pictures from different positions? Best would be a good picture with the windshield itself off.

It is hard to get a good picture... but here is the side/winglets on mine:
8B31dxm.jpg

Where in Ontario are you by the way? I am in St. Thomas (London).

Last edited:
I'm in Peterborough, ON. Somethings way off here... instructions in the manual are not clear from Madstad. One page says attach side winglets BENEATH the windshield brackets and then the second pages show the winglets brackets on TOP of the windshield brackets and so do your pictures, so this could be one issue. Please confirm to me do the deflector brackets go under or over the windhiseld brackets!?! This is frustrating, I was hearing all good stuff about MADSTAD and so far it's not going too well. Also is it possible I was sent the wrong brackets? My bike is the 2017 NC750X, Canadian version and I told them this specifically.

It's also very far away from the bike, is that normal? I'll upload a couple of pics shortly. EDIT: Pics uploaded, note the distance of the shield from the bike and bracketry is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Step #3 says BENATH in my manual and then following pages show on top! I'll call them to let them know to correct this, but the manual says NC700X 2016 and UP, I imagine the 750X is the same bike to them...

Ok so it seems the space from bike to windsheild is normal by the looks of pics in the manual, anyone else can confirm this?

However, I still cant understand why the shield seems high to some of you...

Last edited:
My winglet brackets are on like yours, rmezei & I haven't noticed any vibrations (but I haven't specifically been looking). One thing I noticed is you have your windscreen adjusted in it's most vertical setting, perhaps adjusting it to a mid-angle might help?

Back