• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Engineering - Need local NC700X for testing!

So if I understand correctly they incorporated the side wings or as you say "winglets" to the new design? I had been considering upgrading to reduce the amount of wind I get in the winter and lots of clean wind comes around my older Madstadd. I also assume the winglets come off so they can be removed when more air is beneficial in the summer?

After I had the Madstad on my bike for a while I took off the winglets to see what effect they were having. The only difference I noticed right away was that at highway speeds I could feel air hitting the tops of the toes of my boots. I quickly put them back on.

Hmmm. Maybe after seeing it in person I may think different, but since seeing those pics I'm happy with what I have. The new open base exposes the instrument panel, and the punched out winglet bracketry looks busy. I expect it'll be more difficult to clean off bugs and such.

I was there today. I had one of the original windshields from May 2013. One of the first with well nuts. No winglets. I left with an 18 inch windshield. I need a 20 so he will make one for me. If you have one now, not much difference. Same adjustability. Same wind protection. Just more visibility than with the old baseplate style.

Those that were there, did you see that metal cutting laser and the powder coating area? It got me thinking about what else they could make for me. Like a radiator grill or a cargo plate to replace my homemade thing (just one step above a milk crate and a bungee cord).

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Wcmike,
I saw all that stuff too and spoke to Mark about my want for a dolly (3 of them) that would be easy for him to cut and press. He agreed he can make just about anything but has to focus on what works for the company right now.
It is all easy with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment/tooling. Now, paying for those things could be a bit more complicated.

I'm happy with my old MadStad System ---- but curious to see what the new system looks like ...

I'm not impressed with the appearance of the new Madstad mounting system. I actually like the look of the old system--gives the bike a more Dakar appearance as well as helping with the airflow behind the windscreen. Secondly, the old system blends with the 'body' of the bike nicely as well as giving attaching points for the windscreen. In this case I would say leave well enough alone--they are going backwards.

This is the old mounting system, note that I am using their Ultra Ultra Maximum Clear windscreen model...

I'll bet that looks weird with bug guts on it, like they're suspended in mid air above the headlight.

May be an improvement. Tall screen probably more aerodynamic than your tall torso.
I read and believe that smooth laminar flow breaks up by the time wind stream passes the handlebars. Bikes are terrible aerodynamically. I think the frontal area increase of larger windshields and handguards increases drag far more than they decrease drag, at least on unfaired or bikini faired bikes.

I'm 6'4" but wondering how many mpg I would be losing with a 24"?

Ray

I feel like I gained a few MPG with my big madstad (old style now I guess... though I just got it a few months ago) It was the biggest offered on their website...

Though the 2-4 MPG I feel like I gained could be attributed to it being colder in the morning, or low pressure zones moving through... So many variables to MPG that a ~5% increase in fuel economy could be a lot of things.

I also felt like my hard luggage (givi trekker 33's and 52) didn't really impact my mpg at all (perhaps a very slight improvement but again, to many variables).

I feel like I gained a few MPG with my big madstad (old style now I guess... though I just got it a few months ago) It was the biggest offered on their website...

Though the 2-4 MPG I feel like I gained could be attributed to it being colder in the morning, or low pressure zones moving through... So many variables to MPG that a ~5% increase in fuel economy could be a lot of things.

I also felt like my hard luggage (givi trekker 33's and 52) didn't really impact my mpg at all (perhaps a very slight improvement but again, to many variables).
Cold weather means heavier air so not easier to push through.

It is common for a large windscreen to improve MPG. I put mine on the day I bought the NC so no comparative data, but I did see an improvement on my last ride by adding a tall screen. If you are in a bubble behind the screen then the round front of the screen is more aerodynamic than you r body. With stock screen I had to hang on tight to not be blown off at highway speeds. Also you can impact it by adjusting the Madstadd - Up / Down or different angle all affect resistance.

Cold weather means heavier air so not easier to push through.

I honestly don't know if motorcycles with windscreens get better mileage. I assume race bikes have been wind tunnel tested. Civilian cruisers......maybe......I guess.

But I thought the denser cold air also had more oxygen per cc so it equaled a bigger Ka-Pow at each detonation.
Dunno though. I used to know, but I forgot.

Back