• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Engineering - Need local NC700X for testing!

Madstad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

We are located in Brooksville Florida, and we are in need of somebody local to test out our updated NC700x system ASAP. Whoever is willing us to lend us their bike and then give us your feedback on the system, will get the new system for free, with a windshield size and color of their choice!

Please contact me at:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Last edited:
Cody,

I called just yesterday about ordering a shield for my NC700X. I spoke with Patti and was expecting a phone call back today about stock. I live nearby and have been to the factory a couple times.

I just called and left a voice mail.

Thanks!

So what are they changing this time?
I asked Cody. Looks to be the mounting bracket. I'm meeting him at 11 on Thursday and will put up some pictures unless the person with the Wednesday appointment does it first.

I rode about 200 miles behind a new Madstad system yesterday. Madstad has a new version that does away with the curved metal base plate and mounts the brackets directly to the OEM mounts. Since the plate seems to be integral to creating the "slot" effect that smooths and accelerates air behind the shield I was skeptical of how well it would work. The answer is it works very well. The sloped headlight and fairing edges that create the nose of the NCX seem to be enough to scoop or direct air into the low pressure area behind the shield so the cockpit bubble is quiet and relatively free of turbulence at all speeds. I'm 5' 6" and they built a 20" for me that has enough adjustment to find the right height and rake angle for me. In my opinion the new version blends in better compared to the base plate version and does not draw as much attention. The winglet frames are very nice looking with the lightening holes and in powder coat black look like Honda designed them as factory installation. I never rode the earlier versions so I'm limited to only what a Madstad on a Tiger 800 does and the 800 system works very well. It works really good on my NC700X, I'm happy with it.

I rode the bike a few times about 15 miles to test 18 and 20" heights and shapes and give Cody and Mark immediate feedback then they took some pictures when they were satisfied it worked at least as well as the last version. Cody rode my bike once. I didn't think to take any pics myself before I hopped on for the 200 mile ride home. I'll get some pictures up here soon if Madstad doesn't.

Last edited:
I don't think loyalty will get you anywhere. When they added the side wings, if you wanted them you just needed to cough up more money.

In my opinion the new version blends in better compared to the base plate version and does not draw as much attention. The winglet frames are very nice looking with the lightening holes and in powder coat black look like Honda designed them as factory installation.
So if I understand correctly they incorporated the side wings or as you say "winglets" to the new design? I had been considering upgrading to reduce the amount of wind I get in the winter and lots of clean wind comes around my older Madstadd. I also assume the winglets come off so they can be removed when more air is beneficial in the summer?

Here are some quick pics. The lighting isn't very good, the best I could do in the little time I had.

Since the brackets in this version bolt directly into the existing holes (with a backing plate) I wonder what it would be like using the OEM shield as the base plate - using rubber grommets under the Madstad brackets bolted against the OEM screen?

Imagine the OEM as the base plate? It would protect the back of the instrument pod and form the bottom of the slot.

How wide is this screen ? I have the adventure one (22" tall) but I was already thinking that I need to make one that's wider for wind protection for the hands. I would probably want mine shorter too at about 21" or 20".

I really like the color of your new black bike with the blacked out engine. The new madstad windshield looks like it mounts and is somewhat shaped like my National Vstream Windshield. I do like this new madstad windshield, with the ablility to adjust the windshield like you want. The Vsteam is one of the best windshields I have ever had. As you know, sizing the windshield to your body is so very important.

Windshield 001.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a close up of the winglet. It blocks wind that kind of curls around and hits me in the sides and lower torso. On my 2012 I was always eyeing something like this in the winter. They are easily removed or attached.

It looks nice. Is the new shield wider? I'm curious how the performance compares with the older system.

I have a Vstream like OCR, modified, but it still doesn't work too great for me. I get too much wind over the top when traveling around 70 mph

I was at the new Madstad facility in Brooksville on Wednesday along with my son and dduelin (nice to meet you d!).

Mark showed me around and explained what they were doing and Cody fitted me with one, took measurements with me and made a final product. I rode it a couple of miles going up and down in speed and was amazed really. I then went back and found out it also goes up and down. Not just tilt adjustable. That then took away the little bit of buffeting I had on the top of my helmet.

Cody ended up mounting a 24” screen for me. I am tall and I also have created a Frankenseat - http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/9275-frankenseat-my-mod.html?highlight=frankenseat – which puts me up another 4-5” so I am ruining the nice low center of gravity of the NC – sigh.

Before I agreed to test this I told Mark it would be hard in the summer since the winter winds (yes, even in Florida) would be the real test. He assured me I could test fine in current conditions so I went ahead with his offer. We were both right. He said with my visor up it would be like a gentle breeze and so it was. And the winglets stop most all the wind on the flanks too. From 35 to 80mph it was all about the same. Very quiet too. I was right also. On the way home I was not getting the air I was used to and got really hot. It works that well. I slowed and adjusted the shield so the air would hit lower and at least cool my face. I leaned out around it a couple of times too. Whew it can get hot.

It also made me ride faster. Not having to hold forward and pull against the wind all the time teased me into higher speeds. Instead of 50s I was often into 70s. Yikes! So smooth.

There was little crosswind but a couple of places I noticed a little bit. I noted that when it hit, the bike leaned into it instead of being pushed away from it. Sort of like cancelling the push was the leaning into it. Will have to see when there are “real” crosswinds. Behind a truck at 50mph+ there seemed to be lots of buffeting but I suspect instead of feeling it on my body and that transmitting to the bike I was feeling the bike being moved by the effect on the shield.

I will give it a few more trials on cool mornings but I am afraid I will have to have cooler weather for full time use of it. I just can’t tolerate the high heat and humidity like I used to.

The fact that the shield system is height and tilt adjustable makes it so much better than anything else. That few degrees or extra inch makes all the difference in the world. I think Madstad really has something superior here.

Back