• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad screen rake

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still fussing with my windscreen. Am loathe to suffer the buy/try repeat 'do loop' until I get it right at $100-$300 a shot. I have read the comments/posts, but still confused.
My main goal is wind noise in my helmet. Not the end of the world (I use plugs), but I want to fix! I have considered the Windjammer II, but some have reported little improvement.
The Madstad is highly praised, but pricey, big, and I don't like the adjustment claptrap.
The questions:
1. once you set it does it ever need to be changed?
2. what is your rake angle? perhaps use the forks as a guide if you don't know exactly (27.3 degree rake)
3. how wide is it? and the height? I am 5'8" and their guide is an 18" one is recommended

Thanks everyone. Jimbo

I have a Madstad on mine. It is the adventure model.
21 inches wide, 20 high. Set it and forget it.
It is big, but that's what it takes to be comfortable.
I'm 6'2" the top of the shield is at nose level, and almost
the same angel as the forks. I added some lower material
because I was still getting wind up under my helmet.

The Madstad made a huge difference in the comfort level of this bike. It takes a few minutes of riding stopping and adjusting, but then it is set it and forget it. I'm 5 10 and got the advised 20 inch model. it is spot on. The claptrap by the way is very well made and functional.

The Madstad comes with a rake angle guide or here :https://system.netsuite.com/core/me...SSN-j4glAo_kemNt&cktime=140680&addrcountry=US

55 to 65 degrees is recommended. Mine's about 55 degrees or laid back as far as the brackets allow and the shield is set all the way down in the brackets most of the time if the winglets are mounted. I'm 5'6" with a 20" tall. I cut 1" off each lower side to clear the Barkbusters and it didn't seem to affect the performance. Measured across the back at the widest points it is 18" wide. In the summer I remove the winglets and raise the shield about an inch or two - it allows more air to come around the bottom corners and hit me in the torso.

While the Madstad cuts down on noise I found the winglets are what really make a difference. I bought the Madstad before they were doing the winglets so I made my own. I did a lot of experimenting with my hands to follow where the air was coming from. The winglets stop the air from coming over the frunk, hitting the torso and running up the body to the bottom of the helmet which is where a lot of wind noise comes from and is why higher end helmet manufactures are making better neck roll parts of the helmet.

i couldn't help to laugh on my first ride at how significantly the wind level was reduced with the madstad

I'm 6'2 190 pounds

my only complaint on the madstad is when i was installing it the color label on the bags were mixed up , threw me for a loop , ended up having to buy my own hardware

buy the madstad, put it on the credit card pay the 22% interest, its worth it

Amazing wind protection. Madstad has the newer version for the NC now. I'm using the older one. But still amazing wind protection

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Worth it. I"m 5'7". I bought the 20" adventure, set all the way,down and in. No adjustment s needed.

Do not think any more, just buy it and forget all the troubles... Try to find someone around your area with this screen and ride that bike, there's nothing will make you change your mind after

Just to offer another opinion, I guess I'm missing something with my Madstad. I have an 18 inch with the winglets, and I've tried all settings. I will say that while it definitely removes pressure from the helmet and chest, there is no way a quiet pocket behind this screen. Compared to our Reflex 250 with Givi screen, or our GL1800, the NC/Madstad is still a very windy, noisy bike. It's still the only bike in our fleet where I must wear ear plugs and I can forget about using a helmet intercom.

It's an improvement over stock, but no way a perfect solution.

I adjust my Madstadd frequently depending on weather. If it is warm outside and I want more air it goes down low. If cold out up high. The ability to change for weather conditions is a major attraction for me.

Also have to put at lowest setting and back to clear door on my trailer.

Thanks to all for the input thus far. Seems that the experiences vary. Noise is my primary issue, so I'm hoping this becomes clearer. The lower winglets seem to be a big part of it with some responders.
Very nuanced, isn't it? You want enough air to mitigate the vacuum, but not so much as to create another noise source. A balance that is tricky. Thanks again for the inputs!

I'm 6'1" and the Puig with accessory visor works perfectly for me
0623eaf922a68148c5ddff74cd75f55d.jpg

Some must watch while others must sleep

Just to offer another opinion, I guess I'm missing something with my Madstad. I have an 18 inch with the winglets, and I've tried all settings. I will say that while it definitely removes pressure from the helmet and chest, there is no way a quiet pocket behind this screen. Compared to our Reflex 250 with Givi screen, or our GL1800, the NC/Madstad is still a very windy, noisy bike. It's still the only bike in our fleet where I must wear ear plugs and I can forget about using a helmet intercom.

It's an improvement over stock, but no way a perfect solution.
I have the 20" I'm 30" inseam and about 175cm tall. It is perfect for me though

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I am 6', bought the 20" with the winglets , I also put an X-creen extender to add another laminar air foil, better than my Goldwing now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 5'8" so i will chime in - and the Givi with no adjustments with a BELL helmet has been the best ride i have experienced. That being said if i had a Madstad i would welcome the opportunity to temporarily increase the angle in high heat or rain for a better ridding experience. The GIVI blocks any chance of the chin vent on a helmet functioning

subscribed

Thanks to all for the input thus far. Seems that the experiences vary. Noise is my primary issue, so I'm hoping this becomes clearer. The lower winglets seem to be a big part of it with some responders.
Very nuanced, isn't it? You want enough air to mitigate the vacuum, but not so much as to create another noise source. A balance that is tricky. Thanks again for the inputs!

No vacuum with this shield. The mount places the shield above the bike and allows air to flow under it and equalize the air pressure. This negates the vacuum that large shields on full fairing bikes get.

I wear earplugs so noise isn't really an issue for me.

Getting the Madstad just right takes some trial an error. Once you get it where you like it, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy.

Back