• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Shield for 2012 NC700X - Sadder but wiser

Devo

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently put a Madstad shield on my 2012 Honda NC700X. Following their scale, I ordered an 18" model. Trying it out, I found it was about two inches too short. Be aware that if this happens to you, all you can do is buy another shield. Madstad will give you a code for a 60% discount on a second shield, but you will have to pay shipping and tax on that. Since the NC700 has a relatively high seat and demands a "sit up and beg" riding position, I suggested to Madstad that they add something to the boilerplate copy for the NC700 shield to let riders consider that the scale may not be the best guide for what size they order. So, anyway, I will now have an 18" inch shield that I don't need, so if anybody is interested in that, let me know.

Something that may interest Madstad buyers is that I was able to buy the shield from them with the holes marked with a pen, but not drilled. I then drilled the windscreen holes two inches higher than what the factory would have done. This was with the original Madstad design for the 2012, but that option is probably still available if you ask. I have also modified the adjustable brackets such that my screen is now a total of 3.5 inches lower at the bottom than what Madstad would have supplied, and it now just does reach down to the top of the headlight when set at the lowest position. This has greatly reduced the wind that was or would have come around from the bottom of the shield.

I just ordered a replacement. The 22" I ordered originally was just barely tall enough when adjusted all the way up. I ordered a 24" with no holes. I'll raise the hole patten 1". That way I'll run near the middle of the 2" adjustment range and the bottom edge will be like the 22" shield all the way down.

Last edited:
Something that may interest Madstad buyers is that I was able to buy the shield from them with the holes marked with a pen, but not drilled. I then drilled the windscreen holes two inches higher than what the factory would have done. This was with the original Madstad design for the 2012, but that option is probably still available if you ask. I have also modified the adjustable brackets such that my screen is now a total of 3.5 inches lower at the bottom than what Madstad would have supplied, and it now just does reach down to the top of the headlight when set at the lowest position. This has greatly reduced the wind that was or would have come around from the bottom of the shield.
The air that comes in at the bottom of the Madstad shield is intended to flow up though the vacuum caused by the shield and shoot strait up to deflect more wind up above you. If you like the way yours works, great, but the gap is intentional and serves the purpose of an invisible windshield extension and air redirect-er.

The air that comes in at the bottom of the Madstad shield is intended to flow up though the vacuum caused by the shield and shoot strait up to deflect more wind up above you. If you like the way yours works, great, but the gap is intentional and serves the purpose of an invisible windshield extension and air redirect-er.
I understand. However, after adjusting the shield downward, the same gap is still there between the mount baseplate and the shield. The angle of the headlight shell transitions flush with and at the same angle as the Madstad baseplate. Lowering the shield towards the headlight shell did not change the gap or modify the air flow, in my opinion.

If you are accustomed to seeing only the latest Madstad mount design, you may or may not be familiar with the original design which has a curved metal plate that served as the base.

Back