• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad windshield owners - wind noise

Phil in Boulder

Reaction score
Visit site
HI
I have Madstad windshield installed (20"), very much like it after Puig shield, major difference.
I get a wind noise, somewhere between an increasing "whine" and a kind of an increasing low "roar" starting at approx. 52 mph, increasing to around 60 mph, then decreasing to nothing by 65 mph.
It seems unaffected by raising or lowering shield or by changing angle of shield. Is there anyone else that has this experience and/or found a way to impact it.
Thanks
Phil in Boulder

I can’t speak specially to your Madstad since I don’t know the configuration (other than the height), but it’s my experience that air often comes around the outer lower edges of the screen, up past the inside of the mirror and hits you in the helmet neck area, causing noise. The winglets added after the initial Madstad design were, I suppose, meant to block this wind. But it’s my opinion, at least with the early designs, is that Madstad mounts the screens too high, even in the lowest setting. I had mine made from the start drilled so the sheild is 1.5 inches lower, but I still think it’s a bit high.

Others have reported that the stock mirrors are responsible for turbulence and noise in certain conditions. You might try duplicating the noise conditions and putting your left hand up in different areas in hopes of finding the source.

Last edited:
I've not experienced that. But it sounds like a resonance or a standing wave issue. Change something aero and see if that changes. For example, stuff a tshirt in the middle of the frame that holds the screen for something simple.

Just read the prior post, yes moving your hand around is a good method and faster. I did just that when I was originally setting the height and angle for best airflow over my head.

Last edited:
i had a noise with the madstad 20 inch, i went for the biggest shield and drilled a few inches lower. and played with the angle for hours. is really quiet now

I have a 20" Madstad on my 2016 NC750X. I re-drilled the holes in the screen and in the mounting brackets to tuck it in closer to the bike. Not much different in noise but looks a lot better than before plus I don't get the headlight reflection.

My biggest issue is the mounting points are so flexy, on a dirt road it looks like the screen is going to jump off!

Has anyone made a brace to stiffen up the mounting area?

20180723_133800.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to respond.
I have tried moving my hand around the perimeter and openings at speed, with no difference noted. I think my hand is too small an intervention, and I don't want to experiment with moving both hands at the same time at speed;-)

Today I found a long stretch of road and stuffed a towel sequentially into all the openings, while I accelerated repeatedly between the 52 - 65 mph range where the noise happens, again with no difference. The intriguingly difficult part for me is that before and after this speed range, it is quiet. When riding home I had one of those spontaneous out of the box"aha" thoughts, and I'm interested what you may think of it:
The bike is fairly new to me, and came with Pirelli dual adventure tires on it. They have a modified knobby tread design. I wondered whether that tread design on the front wheel could account for the increasing whine only between 52 - 65 mph.
I'm thinking of riding tomorrow and changing the front tire pressure, up 5 lbs. and then down 5 lbs from where it starts, and seeing if anything about the noise changes strongly. Seems like it might confirm or eliminate the tire as a source. Possible?
Thanks again for your time and thought,
Phil in Boulder

Me too, but extra droning is still bothersome. Hate the new rear tire with a passion because it is so loud. Can't wait for it to wear out.

Back