• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mail Pouch Fly-By Aug 25-27, 2017 in Marietta, OH

FezUSA

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For any mid-Westerners (or anyone else of course!!) the MSTA Ohio group has an annual ride in August called the Mail Pouch Fly-By. Thinking of attending this year, let me know if there's any others out there with interest.

Do a Google search and there's a lot of results for good riding in that area!

2016 event

Facebook group for Ohio MSTA

Official in charge of event:
Jon Campbell
[email protected]
513-465-4755

I'm a longtime member of MSTA so will be attending The Fly-By. :eek:

Membership is required to attend the event but if you pay for the event, you'll automatically get 1-year membership at no cost. Registration fee includes two meals and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:
What is the daily milage like etc?
I'm fighting this hip so I have to be realistic.

From what I understand, people go off on various group rides with the plan of being back at base by dinner at the latest. I believe there are 17 or so 'listed' rides, however each group can do whatever routes they like really, and some will start off on a group ride and then split at some point to make shorter/longer/different rides. I'd say that you should think about how you'll feel the next morning after a 2 hour or so ride to get there the afternoon/evening before, about how many miles you can realistically do knowing you've got a 2 hour ride home too. Would be great to finally meet you and enjoy some great rides, but you have to be realistic too. It's been going on for 20 years, I'm sure it will continue!

Also, DirtFlier can probably chime in with a lot more authority as he's actually been there :)

Yes, I've attended the Fly-By each year since about 2003 unless I happened to be out-of-country. We usually pull in around 120-180 people for the event and I help with Registration on Friday which is when 95% of the riders check-in. There is a tree-shaded lawn behind the hotel and that's where we set-up for the Friday and Saturday night eats, that are provided with registration. I get there on Thursday afternoon and help with set-up of EZ-ups, chairs, banners, etc. Amazingly about 30-50 people are also there on Thursday, most of them to enjoy the twisty roads in the area!

As FezUSA said, there are lots of provided routes of varying length so you pick one and do your own thing. Some years, I've ignored the provided routes and just made up routes on my own. The MSTA doesn't believe in one massive group ride which too often appear to be a parade, plus mixing fast, medium, and slow riders in one group is a recipe for disaster.

ps. there is another MSTA event before the Fly-By, and it's called the River City Ride (RCR) in Corydon, IN. The dates are Aug 4-5-6 and Corydon is about 20 miles west of Louisville and fairly close to the Ohio River. It was the very first capital of Indiana for history buffs. RCR doesn't draw as many riders but it's still a great event and two meals are also provided with registration. I'm also riding to RCR. :)

Last edited:
[Hotel is booked, registration is pending...FezUSA]

As we get closer to the date, some people will cancel because of unexpected work and family obligations. Keep calling the hotel about once a week and don't rely on them to call you if a room comes open! They probably already have a wait list.

By the way, one of my favorites routes to Marietta starts in Zanesville where I pick-up US 60 south. It follows the Muskegon River and you can take it all the way into Marietta, a distance of around 60-65 miles on great riding roads.

Last edited:
Thinking of taking a 1/2 day on the Friday. I'm starting from home, 45 minutes east of Cleveland. Rather than taking I-77 south (160 miles, 2hr 33min) I'm thinking of going down 11 to East Liverpool, and then take 7 aka Ohio River Scenic Byway along the river all the way to the hotel. It's about a 3 3/4 - 4 hour run, 195 miles. If I can get on the road around 2, should get me there not much after 6.

Thinking of taking a 1/2 day on the Friday. I'm starting from home, 45 minutes east of Cleveland. Rather than taking I-77 south (160 miles, 2hr 33min) I'm thinking of going down 11 to East Liverpool, and then take 7 aka Ohio River Scenic Byway along the river all the way to the hotel. It's about a 3 3/4 - 4 hour run, 195 miles. If I can get on the road around 2, should get me there not much after 6.

Route 7 looks like a nice ride. I'm still contemplating...

This coming weekend looks like the weather is going to be very nice for some riding in southern Ohio!! I'll be heading to Marietta for this event and will hopefully meet DirtFlier there!! Anyone else going?

Back