• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Maintenance Schedule

Note that the schedule in post #1 is an older maintenance schedule. Current schedule from Honda extends the valve clearance inspection and engine oil filter replacement to 16,000 mile intervals. I suggest following the schedule in the owner’s manual that came with your bike.

Since no engine mechanicals changed in later model years of the 700, and no oil type recommendations changed, I took it upon myself to follow the 16,000 mile valve check amd oil filter interval for my 2012 model NC700X.

Canada 2016 model NC700X/750X maintenance schedule:
56023446-068D-43A1-9A63-180709487BEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, on my 2013, I went with the 16,000 mile valve check schedule...I do still replace the filter when I replace the oil after 8,000 miles. Heck, I still have the original air filter in the bike with 58,000 miles...no stumbling on acceleration and no drop in fuel mileage (when/if both occurs, I will change the air filter-I am just leary of taking off all that plastic to get to the air filter).

Yeah, replacing the air filter (cleaner) looks like the worst. I'm at 10k, so thinking I can put it off until the end of next summer, or maybe even the spring after that.

Yeah, replacing the air filter (cleaner) looks like the worst. I'm at 10k, so thinking I can put it off until the end of next summer, or maybe even the spring after that.
My opinion, and it’s based on my experiences, is that the Honda maintenance interval for the air filter is too frequent. I think maybe Honda is trying to cover all possible conditions, including owners riding in very dusty conditions. Since I do not ride in dusty conditions, I am very comfortable extending the filter change interval. In addition, I rarely demand full air flow capabilities, and the NC air filter seems unusually large for it’s engine displacement. So, I change the filter at 24,000 mile intervals, but I have little doubt it could run 48,000 miles, a distance davidc83 has already passed with his NC air filter. Again, that’s my opinion. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I think maybe Honda is trying to cover all possible conditions, including owners riding in very dusty conditions.
I think that's a pretty fair assumption. I usually replace engine intake filters (and cabin air filters in cars) on any vehicle that is new to me, because it is usually cheap and easy (esp. in Honda cars) and you never know what kind of conditions the previous owner may have driven in. But for this bike I'm happily waiting until it is actually due before I pull that all apart.

Yep, on my 2013, I went with the 16,000 mile valve check schedule...I do still replace the filter when I replace the oil after 8,000 miles. Heck, I still have the original air filter in the bike with 58,000 miles...no stumbling on acceleration and no drop in fuel mileage (when/if both occurs, I will change the air filter-I am just leary of taking off all that plastic to get to the air filter).
It is certainly a lot of hassle to get to the filter but it is worth it. Honda wouldn't recommend it if it weren't necessary. A discussion of how to make it simpler would have done wonders for the mechanic but that's a different topic.

Here is why you should follow the recommended schedule:

20201029_185808.jpg
I actually replaced my air filter a couple hundred miles early this time and as you can see the filter is dirty and in some places absolutely filthy. You may not notice the damage now, but you are not doing yourself any favors by skipping a simple, affordable, and crucial task.

The filter replacement is not too hard, just keep track of the clips, screws and other pieces. But the filter is huge compared to some bike and even cars. In fact I think I posted before that it was bigger than the filter in my wife's v6 Toyota. When I changed it at 25,000 miles it looked like it was hardly used. I probably won't let it go beyond 50k for the next change but only because I am no longer riding 400 miles a week, and when I do, it tends to be shorter trips and more aggressive riding.

It is certainly a lot of hassle to get to the filter but it is worth it. Honda wouldn't recommend it if it weren't necessary. A discussion of how to make it simpler would have done wonders for the mechanic but that's a different topic.

View attachment 43711
I actually replaced my air filter a couple hundred miles early this time and as you can see the filter is dirty and in some places absolutely filthy. You may not notice the damage now, but you are not doing yourself any favors by skipping a simple, affordable, and crucial task.
changed mine at 30k looked like yours. The filter is oiled paper like many new designs and trap more dirt put have a high micron size

View attachment 43711
Comparing air filter dirt between owners is like comparing insurance premiums. Everyone’s situation will be different. I believe Honda cannot account for varied motorcycle operating conditions in their maintenance schedule, so they recommend replacement intervals for worst case conditions.

Comparing air filter dirt between owners is like comparing insurance premiums. Everyone’s situation will be different. I believe Honda cannot account for varied motorcycle operating conditions in their maintenance schedule, so they recommend replacement intervals for worst case conditions.
Yes I suppose. I think I've ridden in mostly best case conditions, the weather here is generally beautiful and easy, and I don't ride in the dirt. I do ride in the rain, but I don't see how that would negatively impact the air filter. My filters looked similar the other times I changed them.

Is there a list of non-interval things that need to be greased and lubed? Like throttle cable, suspension components, wheels, etc. The things that maybe don't get done much except if you're working on that area?

I usually try to clean and lube when I reassemble things but although I have low mileage my bike is getting old and for the last 2 years have been stored on the street.
Thinking of doing a detailed clean and tune-up in the spring.

Is there a list of non-interval things that need to be greased and lubed? Like throttle cable, suspension components, wheels, etc. The things that maybe don't get done much except if you're working on that area?

I usually try to clean and lube when I reassemble things but although I have low mileage my bike is getting old and for the last 2 years have been stored on the street.
Thinking of doing a detailed clean and tune-up in the spring.
To be pedantic, the clutch system should be inspected every 4k miles/6.4k kilometers. The sidestand, steering head, suspension, and throttle operation should be inspected every 8k miles/12.8k kilometers. If those systems are not functioning properly, that is the time to take it apart and clean/adjust it.

I can't think of anything that isn't listed in the maintenance schedule for at the least an inspection. If memory serves correctly, I have read that clutch/throttle cables should be lubed every two years, or maybe it's replaced. I should probably figure that one out >.>

The 2012 Honda NC700X service manual does not designate any specific interval for cable lubrication. Under the throttle inspection section, the manual says to lubricate the throttle cable and throttle grip housing in the event the throttle does not return properly. No mention is ever made in the maintenance section or manual clutch section on lubricating the clutch cable. Even under troubleshooting a clutch lever that is too hard to pull in, a dry cable is not a suggested cause, just a damaged, kinked, or dirty cable.

Perhaps the service manual omits recommending cable lubrication due to oversight, but some forum members have mentioned in the past that because Honda control cables are coated with Teflon or some similar product, that lubrication is unnecessary or undesirable. While I have lubricated cables on past motorcycles of other brands, I have never lubed the cables on my 2012 NC.

Thanks, Janus I didn't think of the steering head.
Thanks, Greg that's good to know.

What I was asking for is if there is a list of things that are NOT on the inspection/replace list that does need to be greased/lubed or tuned-up. What I'm getting at is I have a low mileage bike If I followed the maintenance schedule I would have changed the Oil twice in the 7 years I have had the bike. The bike may not need to have some things changed and cleaned because of milage but because of age and being outdoors all winter long. Most bikes at 15k probably don't need to have the shock linkage lubed but when I swapped my swing arm for the aluminium one I lubed it because it did need it.

So I'm just looking for a list of things I can do all at once since I don't currently have a garage to do things regularly anymore.

Thanks, Janus I didn't think of the steering head.
Thanks, Greg that's good to know.

What I was asking for is if there is a list of things that are NOT on the inspection/replace list that does need to be greased/lubed or tuned-up. What I'm getting at is I have a low mileage bike If I followed the maintenance schedule I would have changed the Oil twice in the 7 years I have had the bike. The bike may not need to have some things changed and cleaned because of milage but because of age and being outdoors all winter long. Most bikes at 15k probably don't need to have the shock linkage lubed but when I swapped my swing arm for the aluminium one I lubed it because it did need it.

So I'm just looking for a list of things I can do all at once since I don't currently have a garage to do things regularly anymore.
Both maintenance schedules shown in the beginning of the thread recommend changing engine oil at the specified mileage, or annually. Note the columns about annual check or regular replace. (That being said, I do not follow that timed interval advice for reasons of my own).

Last edited:
I changed my air filter at 46,000km.It seem unnecessary but still go ahead considering the time of removing all the panels.I notice a slight increase of fuel consumption even since I replaced with a new filter.

Attachments

• 20201203_090314.jpg
    20201203_090314.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Back