• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making a run to the OREGON Coast and touring Lighthouses(if possible)!

Rapturee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Hey... time for another long distance ride. This will be the first time the pillion seat will be occupied on a trip.

Looking to hit Tillamook for the cheese/ice cream samples first of course. Staying in the Tillamook area and then riding up/down the coast checking out Lighthouses. Hitting Long Beach Wa and eventually making it down to Crescent City Ca to check out the Redwoods and back to Tillamook. Though my plans are fluid, i should be headed out west Sunday 30th and in the Tillamook/Oregon Coast area Monday 31st through Friday 4th before meandering back to northern Idaho some other route just for different scenery. If anyone would like to meet up for a cold refreshment or meal let me know! According to my RVparky app this should be a nice 1700 mile trip! :{)

gear on.JPGgear on3.JPG

Hey Dale, how are things your way? Getting better with A-Fib and riding more? Hows the Himy working for you? Are you thinking of making a trip out west here anytime soon...?
:{)

AFIB, so far so good. I ride once or twice a week, for a 2/3 hours. I haven't take a long ride since the AFIB started up. I alternate the NC with the Himalayan. I like the hima. Its slow, but I'm in no hurry. Better in the dirt than the NC. I canceled my trips for the year b/c of COVID. I have to have someone stay with my wife when I'm gone, so I'm not willing to take the risk with her. . A lady a few doors down from us died two weeks ago from COVID. She caught it from her daughter who was staying with her. Daughter recovered.

Have fun on your trip. Its one I hope to make some day. Take care of your pillion. Looking forward to a ride report and pics.

Tillamook is as mild as the cheese compared to the rest of the coast. But it is a good base of operation for stuff that's great close by ; } ...I really have done the past few trips with more emphasis on the wilder, less traveled south coast but it's hard to go wrong anywhere but Lincoln City and Newport and maybe Florence during the heavy traffic.

Roger that, thank you both! Updates forth coming as the time to departure nears. If the weather is foul or forecasted bad foe that week than the pillion may pull the plug on the bike inlu for the Travel Trailer... We'll see haha, but we're still going!! :{)

We made it safely back yesterday and absolutely had a great time. It ended up 1776 miles, 4 states and 8 days. We experienced weather in the low 40's up to high 90's, heavy/thick fog, high winds with gusts, bright sunshine to light rain. We even had a Racoon visit our tent one night, it chewed a small hole in our tent and tried to make off with my M&M's w/peanuts!! Luckily for it, the bag never made it out the little hole and it took off empty handed..i tell'ya!

The NC performed flawlessly again during those 8 days logging 1776 miles total for the trip and the Shinko 705's handled the road conditions equally as well. The total weight fr the trip was about 500lbs and the NC handled it almost effortlessly. I know that sounds like a lot, as it did to me as well, but you would have never known i wasn't all by myself headed to work empty! The almost 475 miles there was fighting strong headwinds. We experienced mileage that varied from 48mpg to 62mpg interestingly enough with speeds varying from 60mph-80mph. On the trips out and back we experienced mostly winds of 15-20mph. On the way out it was strong headwinds but the NC handled it well as i kept my speeds down to 65mph which most of the traffic was doing the same. On the way back however, often times i noticed our speed nearing or at 80mph this time with the winds at our back!

I will be posting several pictures in the days to come as i get them downloaded, cropped and saved. :{)

Last edited:
o_O Wat was the weight of all that gear? I never try to go over the 10kg recommended for the topbox, and how visible was your rear light/brakelight? Nice pictures though!

o_O Wat was the weight of all that gear? I never try to go over the 10kg recommended for the topbox, and how visible was your rear light/brakelight? Nice pictures though!

Hey Bugs, in post #8 i mentioned that it was about 500lbs of riders/gear. I placed the tent beneath the rear/top box rack and the top of the tail light so neither it nor the turn signals were obstructed at all. :{)

...and for our second installment. We rode past a shopping center and had to stop for this one haha..
Lighthouse shopping ctr with NC.JPG

One early morning as we walked the Cape Lookout beach we found these and later one more that was unbroken.
Cape Lookout Oregon sand dollars.JPG

On our way back up the 101 from Crescent City Ca, i spotted this thing of beauty in Brookings OreNC and VW hippie Bus Brookings Oregon.JPG

the beach from the Umpqua Lighthouse viewing area
Oregon Coast Umqua lighthouse4.JPG

Umpqua Lighthouse
Oregon Coast Umqua lighthouse6.JPG

Oregon Coast Umqua lighthouse7.JPG

another day on the beach :{)
Cape Lookout Oregon beach2.JPG

Of course we stopped at a Dutch Bros for an early morning sunrise cup-o-Joe!
Dutch Bros the dalles oregon.JPG

We got off of Ore I-84 and rode Wa 26. Here in the Maryville area is a Stonehenge and memorial
Stonehenge Maryville Wa2.JPG

Stonehenge Maryville Wa3.JPG

Stonehenge Maryville Wa.JPG

the southern view from Maryville Stonehenge. On the Columbia river you can see a Tug pushing grain barges up the river.
Stonehenge Maryville Wa6.JPG

a southwestern view from the Stonehenge
Stonehenge Maryville Wa7.JPG

Looks like a lot of fun. Nice pics; seems like a lot of gear.

Yes it was, thanks, and yes it was. It was pillions first motorcycle trip ever and that was the second revised load(the rest I told her she had to leave behind as it would not literally fit anywhere else on the bike lol. We already have an agreement for the Next trip... I’ll give her one saddle bag and what doesn’t fit stays lol(we’ll see how that goes).

In the grand scheme of things, happy pillion = happy trip and I was glad to do it and have her along. For her first trip and our first trip together, it was very doable and we both had a lot of fun. We camped 5 out of 8 nights. A couple of those days it hit 100f and a couple of the days were much colder with mornings in the 40’s and foggy where the temps just seemed to go right through whatever we wore so we warmed our hands with the Jetboil and it was a great excuse to make her another cup of coffee.

I’m trying to put together an overnighter for us on the new DCT bike and trying to make it up to Glacier National Park. It’ll be interesting for sure wherever we make it to lol.

Last edited:
We made it safely back yesterday and absolutely had a great time. It ended up 1776 miles, 4 states and 8 days. We experienced weather in the low 40's up to high 90's, heavy/thick fog, high winds with gusts, bright sunshine to light rain. We even had a Racoon visit our tent one night, it chewed a small hole in our tent and tried to make off with my M&M's w/peanuts!! Luckily for it, the bag never made it out the little hole and it took off empty handed..i tell'ya!

The NC performed flawlessly again during those 8 days logging 1776 miles total for the trip and the Shinko 705's handled the road conditions equally as well. The total weight fr the trip was about 500lbs and the NC handled it almost effortlessly. I know that sounds like a lot, as it did to me as well, but you would have never known i wasn't all by myself headed to work empty! The almost 475 miles there was fighting strong headwinds. We experienced mileage that varied from 48mpg to 62mpg interestingly enough with speeds varying from 60mph-80mph. On the trips out and back we experienced mostly winds of 15-20mph. On the way out it was strong headwinds but the NC handled it well as i kept my speeds down to 65mph which most of the traffic was doing the same. On the way back however, often times i noticed our speed nearing or at 80mph this time with the winds at our back!

I will be posting several pictures in the days to come as i get them downloaded, cropped and saved. :{)
Thanks much for the report! My main reason I am interested in the NCx DCT is for travel. To keep miles low on my GL500 and GL650. Your experience supports my choice! I am saving the cash and hope to buy this winter.

Thanks Again!
Lee in Minneapolis

Thanks much for the report! My main reason I am interested in the NCx DCT is for travel. Your experience supports my choice! I am saving the cash and hope to buy this winter.

It is an amazing bike, so very capable of doing all that we want it to and much more. And now we are enjoying the DCT the same way, though she’s only ridden on it once so far she loves the way it shifts/handles. We no longer bump helmets (when I shifted gears on the 12’ manual). The DCT is so smooth it still amazes me, and it always seems to be just in the right area of the power and when we rode 2up. The Honda engineers seemed to have their stuff together when they made this model, I/were so very happy with it and are looking to many more smiles per gallon with it lol.

Back