• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making progress on the repaint

I can't believe how well that looks! I know I just posted on the looks, But WOW! Good job Greg..

I have a few more pieces to paint and install, but here's the results so far on the Sunburst Orange paint job. It's been a bad winter for riding, so there's been plenty of time to mod the bike.

All of the gloss grey pieces went to orange. The lower cowl center piece switched from the doesn't-match-anything grey to textured black, while the side lower cowl pieces went from flat/satin black to gloss orange. I also painted the Fenda Extenda and the rear hugger with the same textured Rustoleum black for a matched look. Yet to paint are the side bag lids, the tail piece center cowl, and a trim piece for the top box.

The pictures do lie a little. In anything less than bright sun the color is definitely a little darker than what it appears. I would have preferred a brighter orange, but didn't want to create mis-identity by infringing on the Harley orange-black territory. Something had to be done, as I began to detest the stock grey color. My first choice would have been yellow, but i already have two other yellow bikes in the fleet.

The paint came mostly from automotivetouchup.com The clear is SprayMax 2K two part urethane - nasty stuff that requires a respirator. In fact it's all nasty and requires a respirator. It's not all smooth sailing fun work (lots of screwups), but rewarding when it's complete to your satisfaction.

5.jpgI really like your paint job. It would go over great here in Texas.

smileystar.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
What brand paint did you use?

Automotivetouchup.com. They are cheaper than colorrite.com. I think automotivetouchup.com does better with color match as well as supplying everything you need: primers, cleaners, plastic adhesion promoters, and even the respirator. Just find about any car color out there and they can make it. However, AT doesn't mix two part base colors used on some pearl coat bikes, where you have to do the base color coat in two stages. That would be too risky for me anyway, trying to get a good match. The basic prime, color coat, clear coat is pretty bulletproof.

Last edited:
Budget Booth

Garage Booth.jpgbooth interior.jpg

Here's my spray booth I set up in garage. I used cheap, thin plastic drop cloth and masking tape to build a square "room". The garage door rails formed the top and made it easy to tape the plastic to. I cut a square and taped a $3 dollar air conditioner filter on the the side "wall" and put a $10 hepa air conditioner filter on the opposite wall. I then pointed the fan directly at the cheap filter, which inflated the booth and made it bearable to be in. It cut down on lingering fumes and paint/overspray, and the hepa filter worked as an exhaust and kept all paint from leaving the booth.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I've had my doubts along the way in this project, which was a bit more frustrating and time consuming than I imagined, mostly due to a few mistakes. But, I've learned a lot and have no fear of taking on just about any car or bike bodywork/paint job. I guess if I damage a panel on my NC now, I'm the one fixing it since you can't buy this color of Body parts straight from Honda!

That looks fantastic! Very close to the color I want to change mine to which is burnt orange. Almost the shade KTM uses quite a bit, but yours looks really great!

That looks awesome! I love that color... wouldn't mind a bit more burnt orange to it, but this looks quite awesome. If I ever repaint mine it will be very close to this color. Thanks for sharing this.

Greg's color choice almost beats Realtree camo. That's saying a lot in my books.. I hope my son doesn't see Greg's bike, because he will want his CR80F that color.:eek:

It looks very nice. Makes me wish I had eaten more persimmons when they were in season last fall.

the good thing about the NC it has small pieces of plastics which make it much easier to paint using rattle can's,
than say a full fairing .
the biggest part on the NC is the frunk.
never the less credit to the man who took this on.
he has made his bike his own and if I could do that to my bike I would be very proud.
once again lovely color and a job well done.john

Looking really good, and I am digging that color. Did you ever get that tire I sold you to work?

Looking really good, and I am digging that color. Did you ever get that tire I sold you to work?

I put a plug in the tire but have not had reason to mount it yet to see if it will work. I may keep it around as an emergency tire if I had a major problem with whatever I'm running at the time. Thanks for asking.

My buddy has a Honda Fit (which adds to the amusement on this forum slightly) that I think is this exact color. He calls her Pumpernickel... Great pair job btw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy has a Honda Fit (which adds to the amusement on this forum slightly) that I think is this exact color. He calls her Pumpernickel... Great pair job btw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You had me freaked there for a moment that in some uncanny way I had actually chosen a Fit color. I researched it and there are three different colors of orange that have been supplied on the fit, but none the exact code I used. There are SO many different car colors and many look near identical to each other. It makes choosing a color a daunting task so you just have to pick one and go with it.

Last edited:
Back