• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Man, THIS is UGLY!!!!!!!!!

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang,
Well, it looks like a bomb went off in my garage! My NC is STRIPPED of all it's clothes! We've only owned this 2020 NC750X DCT for 2 weeks today! Through all the circumstances involved, such as primarily model year, minimal used bike availability and transmission selection, this ALL BLACK version was the ONLY one within my grasp and price range with the DCT. The U.S. version is/was only available in BLACK. I've stated a time or two that I'm not a big fan of this black automotive scenario era we're presently in. Black wheels, black cars, blacked out tail lights, MATTE BLACK and more. It's just not for me. But, like stated, this bike was the only one with the DCT. So, I bought it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that of all the NC owners on the planet, there's way less than 1% who'd buy something like this and then decide to dismantle it and PAINT the applicable parts. So, after debating with myself and the CEO about potential colors, I initially chose white but after more considerations, and really liking the color of our '15 Jeep JKUR, I decided on that color. It's called Hydro Blue Pearl coat. I had our local Napa auto parts store make up the paint. I've painted cars and Jeeps before but, only with what's called a *Single Stage* paint. For those that are unfamiliar, a single stage paint is paint that has the base color and the gloss component, all in one mix. Then there's *2-Stage paints*. Those are comprised of a base coat of color, then a clear coat is applied to give the paint job it's high gloss look.

Well, unbeknownst to to me, this paint that was made for me by Napa, is a THREE STAGE paint! There's your base coat, then a MID or tinting coat is applied, then the clear coat. This will be a grand (and somewhat expensive) experiment for me. All the components that will be painted are off the bike and they've been scuffed to accept the primer/sealer. Hopefully I'll do the primer/sealer today, based on our local wind conditions. I don't want to be priming the neighbors cars too! Then, when that's cured, I'll begin the second and third stages. 99.9999% of the riders of the NC would just do a mod here and there, maybe add a top box or a set of panniers either soft or hard or maybe some electrical components but, as stated, ain't very many that will tear the bike down for paint, just because it's black.
Scott
P.S. I've linked a pic of our Jeep to show the intended color. Pictures, NEVER show the true color. It's BEAUTIFUL in person. And, in this same time frame, I'm having the wheels and the front main engine protection bar all powder coated in high gloss Silver. Even though this bike as a mere 2,300 miles on it, arriving today are brand new Shinko 60/40 tires for it. I like a little more agressive looking/performing tire for it.
Scott

Ok Gang,
Here's the finished product.
Hey Men,
Well, here's the finished product. Well, almost finished, More on that later. Anyway, It's all back together. In case someone's new to this project, the bike is a new-to-us 2020 NC750X DCT in ALL BLACK! Well, I'm not a fan of all black anything so, I decided on a BIG change. The paint is Hydro Blue Pearl Clearcoat from a 2015 Jeep series with a code of *PBJ*. I had the paint mixed for me at a local Napa auto parts store. The wheels were also black. So, I had broke them all down and had them powder coated in Heavy Silver with clear coat. Since I had to remove both the right and left engine/faring protection bars to do the job, and they too were black, I figured I might as well do those in the heavy silver too, along with the wheels. While the bike was down for all this, I took the opportunity to do some wiring. I wired in both my Zumo XT and a Volt meter so I could keep track of the voltage in the NC. The bike came to us with a 12V power port in the frunk already so, I tied that into my ignition controlled setup.

Now, as for the part earlier mentions, "almost" finished, well, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome of the bike as you see it. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than ALL BLACK! But, the versions shipped to the boys on the other side of the pond in the same time frame, as in 2020, were also blue. But, the side fairing was painted in a bright silver, not a grey. To me, that bright silver fairing would be the *Frosting on the cake* so-to-speak. Yep, I'd have to order up some new Honda Logo wings or, have the wife make them on her *Cricket* vinyl sticker machine. Anyway, enough blabbing. Here's the finish product. What ya think?
Scott
P.S. The first pic is how it use to look. The rest are the rejuvenated version.

Well, I don't know what's happening. I have quite a few new pics of the completed product but, for some reason, the forum is not letting me post them. I select a photo and insert it, then it develops, 10%, 20% 50% and 100% and the square is there but, no photo, Hmmmmm, what's up with that mods?
Scott

Attachments

• 70207408943__791E6734-D706-4BCB-BEDF-BB9B9963389D.JPG
    70207408943__791E6734-D706-4BCB-BEDF-BB9B9963389D.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6836.JPG
    IMG_6836.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
All I wanted to do was add fog lights last fall and it looked the same except I didn't need to remove the wheels LOL.

Can't wait to see the final!

Beautiful blue, my Fav.
Honda has dropped the ball on their bike colors for years. (i.e.. Goldwings)
That is awesome you have the cojones to take on this project.

That blue will look very nice - actually not too far off from the blue Honda offered for a short while. I had a 2007 Ninja 250 that blue color, too.

I‘m in that 1% you mentioned. I painted two NC700Xs (sunburst orange and lime green), added more painted parts to my Zero DSR to have less black, and changed the color of my wife’s Ryker from all black to as much yellow as we can manage to fit on it.

If I won a black bike or car as a prize, my immediate task would be to either have it painted or sell it.C0F09E1E-4D18-495D-A61B-0783BD1AA095.jpeg

Here was my orange one.
A0B1A828-DD51-47EC-B2D6-89E516EE79CD.jpeg
Here is my green one. 220702C1-64A1-44F1-B534-349E2D41ABA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful blue, my Fav.
Honda has dropped the ball on their bike colors for years. (i.e.. Goldwings)
That is awesome you have the cojones to take on this project.
Honda didn’t so much drop the ball on colors, their customers did. Honda builds what they think they can sell. Many people won’t buy a colored vehicle nowadays.

There is no accounting for preferences and what constitutes attractiveness. Otherwise all of you guys would have wives or girlfriends that look like my lovely bride. But hats off to to those talented or indiscriminate enough to pull off a satisfying color change.

Hey men,
Wow, great and encouraging responses! 670CC, how in the world did you do that? Other than the bright silver side fairing, that bike is EXACTLY what I think mine is gonna look like. I've even thought of painting that same exact section/side fairing, the same exact silver color to enhance the new blue paint! Wow. This is really neat! I get to see the finished product BEFORE it's finished!

Now, as far as how a manufacturer selects paints for their motorcycles, I by far am no authority on this. Using any form of logic, history (recent) and mind-set from at least the U.S.A. drivers and owners, in terms of what colors drivers prefer, black and or really dark colors, along with BLACK WHEELS and black bumpers and no chrome around the windshield etc. has been a trend for a while, at least the last maybe 10 or more years. But as we all see on dealer lots across the country, as far as cars/trucks etc. are concerned, yep, there's still some sanity in engineers and manufacturers selections in paints. Harley has provide many different colors for many of its models for years. Honda seems to come up with 1, 2, possibly three colors for it's Wing each year. And that also depends on the model.

Man I love that blue NC! I gotta go get to paint'n, talk later!
Scott

Hey men,
Wow, great and encouraging responses! 670CC, how in the world did you do that? Other than the bright silver side fairing, that bike is EXACTLY what I think mine is gonna look like. I've even thought of painting that same exact section/side fairing, the same exact silver color to enhance the new blue paint! Wow. This is really neat! I get to see the finished product BEFORE it's finished!

Now, as far as how a manufacturer selects paints for their motorcycles, I by far am no authority on this. Using any form of logic, history (recent) and mind-set from at least the U.S.A. drivers and owners, in terms of what colors drivers prefer, black and or really dark colors, along with BLACK WHEELS and black bumpers and no chrome around the windshield etc. has been a trend for a while, at least the last maybe 10 or more years. But as we all see on dealer lots across the country, as far as cars/trucks etc. are concerned, yep, there's still some sanity in engineers and manufacturers selections in paints. Harley has provide many different colors for many of its models for years. Honda seems to come up with 1, 2, possibly three colors for it's Wing each year. And that also depends on the model.

Scott
I’ve noticed the most colorful vehicles on the road lately are semi tractors. They are painted all sorts of bright colors. It seems you can buy a Kenworth or Peterbilt in a fun color, but not so much an SUV or a motorcycle.

I’ve noticed the most colorful vehicles on the road lately are semi tractors. They are painted all sorts of bright colors. It seems you can buy a Kenworth or Peterbilt in a fun color, but not so much an SUV or a motorcycle.
You pay the same money for an SUV or motorcycle that you pay for a Semi, you can have it any color you want ;)

Lol.....my Prius C is all black. Bought it new in 2015....my nc700 is red, my C50 boulevard is red/black. My Kawasaki klx250sf is black. If I could paint, I would paint the Kawasaki....but I am terrible at painting...even mess up painting house door trim....

Hey men,

Scott
I am in the no chrome group...hate it...only 2 Harley's I would ever be interested in...the adventure model and a nightster-no chrome.

The bike we traded in for our present 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag was a 2015 BMW K-1600 GTL-E ("Exclusive") model. In 2014-15, BMW used *Mineral Pearl White* as their base color and Magnesium for the accent color. Man, what a gorgeous bike. I got tons of compliments on it no matter where I stopped and parked and even from "Harley" riders. But, the bike was not fun at slow speeds and the CEO was not a fan of the seating so, out with the Beemer and in with our '18 Wing.

It's all a matter of choice here. If you (or anyone) likes the all black appearance, well, that's why we live in a free country. I myself like COLOR. There's a brand new Yellow for Jeep this year called "High Velocity Yellow". It's more yellow with a hint of lime vs the older more orange-ish yellow of the previous years. I always have liked LEMON yellow. That might be my next color choice on something if I don't like it when I buy it. Who knows. I've been a DIY type since kindergarten. I've worked on and maintenanced everything I've ever owned for 55+ years or so. And I've delved in painting a few times since high school. Although painting process's have grown somewhat more technical in the last couple of decades, painting in general is not all that hard. As anyone who's done any at all, we all know it's the PREP WORK that makes a decent paint job or not. I finished up the priming process before we went to dinner so, tomorrow I'll sand that down a teeny bit, thoroughly clean all the pieces and then do the actual painting. As long as the wind isn't blowing very much, I'm good with doing it tomorrow as the temp is perfect for painting outdoors. Hopefully, all my parts will be painted and clear coated by late tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!
Scott

A pic of our previous bike, the '15 Beemer GTL-E

Attachments

• IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Greg,
Wow, you did the paint on those? That orange is outstanding. I like the lime too. I'm definitely an amateur painter, no doubt about it. But I have fun at it and things normally turn out ok. All my experience (in painting) has been with single stage paint. I was prepared to do my first TWO STAGE paint for this job but, while the gent at Napa did prepare the paint for me and, he followed the paint code, it was the wrong color. It's a bit of a long story but in short, we got the correct paint mixed and now, IT'S A THREE STAGE PAINT! Hmmmm. Anyway, after a bit of anxiety due to unfamiliar with this paint process and, spending a bit of money on the components, I sure as heck didn't want to screw this up. So, a few hundred youtube videos later and, some research in mixing paint ratios and all that, here's the results. See what you (and anyone else here) thinks.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6902.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6904.JPG
    IMG_6904.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6907.JPG
    IMG_6907.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6908.JPG
    IMG_6908.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Greg,
Wow, you did the paint on those? That orange is outstanding. I like the lime too. I'm definitely an amateur painter, no doubt about it. But I have fun at it and things normally turn out ok. All my experience (in painting) has been with single stage paint. I was prepared to do my first TWO STAGE paint for this job but, while the gent at Napa did prepare the paint for me and, he followed the paint code, it was the wrong color. It's a bit of a long story but in short, we got the correct paint mixed and now, IT'S A THREE STAGE PAINT! Hmmmm. Anyway, after a bit of anxiety due to unfamiliar with this paint process and, spending a bit of money on the components, I sure as heck didn't want to screw this up. So, a few hundred youtube videos later and, some research in mixing paint ratios and all that, here's the results. See what you (and anyone else here) thinks.
Scott
I did paint the orange myself. It did turn out well, I thought. However I lack a truly proper painting booth, and time was limited when I was still working, so I paid someone else to paint the green one.

I am definitely amateur. Not every paint project turns out well.

You project looks great. It’s unfortunately hard to see details in the photos. If you’re happy, that’s the main thing. I like your color choice very much. In a world of mostly black, white, and grey vehicles, your bike will really stand out.

Hey Gang,
Well, it looks like a bomb went off in my garage! My NC is STRIPPED of all it's clothes! We've only owned this 2020 NC750X DCT for 2 weeks today! Through all the circumstances involved, such as primarily model year, minimal used bike availability and transmission selection, this ALL BLACK version was the ONLY one within my grasp and price range with the DCT. The U.S. version is/was only available in BLACK. I've stated a time or two that I'm not a big fan of this black automotive scenario era we're presently in. Black wheels, black cars, blacked out tail lights, MATTE BLACK and more. It's just not for me. But, like stated, this bike was the only one with the DCT. So, I bought it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that of all the NC owners on the planet, there's way less than 1% who'd buy something like this and then decide to dismantle it and PAINT the applicable parts. So, after debating with myself and the CEO about potential colors, I initially chose white but after more considerations, and really liking the color of our '15 Jeep JKUR, I decided on that color. It's called Hydro Blue Pearl coat. I had our local Napa auto parts store make up the paint. I've painted cars and Jeeps before but, only with what's called a *Single Stage* paint. For those that are unfamiliar, a single stage paint is paint that has the base color and the gloss component, all in one mix. Then there's *2-Stage paints*. Those are comprised of a base coat of color, then a clear coat is applied to give the paint job it's high gloss look.

Well, unbeknownst to to me, this paint that was made for me by Napa, is a THREE STAGE paint! There's your base coat, then a MID or tinting coat is applied, then the clear coat. This will be a grand (and somewhat expensive) experiment for me. All the components that will be painted are off the bike and they've been scuffed to accept the primer/sealer. Hopefully I'll do the primer/sealer today, based on our local wind conditions. I don't want to be priming the neighbors cars too! Then, when that's cured, I'll begin the second and third stages. 99.9999% of the riders of the NC would just do a mod here and there, maybe add a top box or a set of panniers either soft or hard or maybe some electrical components but, as stated, ain't very many that will tear the bike down for paint, just because it's black.
Scott
P.S. I've linked a pic of our Jeep to show the intended color. Pictures, NEVER show the true color. It's BEAUTIFUL in person. And, in this same time frame, I'm having the wheels and the front main engine protection bar all powder coated in high gloss Silver. Even though this bike as a mere 2,300 miles on it, arriving today are brand new Shinko 60/40 tires for it. I like a little more agressive looking/performing tire for it.
Scott
Utter Madness Scott!!!

Greg,
Scott
Very nice work and think it is a good color choice!

Back